Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's this about? (Dev log)  (Read 728 times)

What's this about? (Dev log)
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

# fixed problem causing dwarves to target harmless insane people while making evil creatures spare them and babies

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: What's this about? (Dev log)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Dwarves and goblins had their friend/foe setting switched in the case of the insane, i suppose.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »

The way I see it, dwarves must have been tagging melancholy and babbling dwarves as hostile.

At the same time, it seems, true hostile creatures weren't targeting said melancholy and babbling dwarves, as well as not targeting babies.

Personally, I would have liked this bug better if it was more consistent- and dwarves erroneously targeted babies. That would have been something to see- Imagine, a dwarf in the marksdwarf squad gives birth and the baby is immediately pincushioned... actually, don't imagine that...

Though I may be completely misreading it. It's... rather odd...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 08:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>Personally, I would have liked this bug better if it was more consistent- and dwarves erroneously targeted babies. That would have been something to see- Imagine, a dwarf in the marksdwarf squad gives birth and the baby is immediately pincushioned... actually, don't imagine that...</STRONG>

TOADY MUST IMPLEMENT THIS!  :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Okie, Thanks.   :p

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

Anybody on your side was spared by different code, so it was during the part where it was trying to make your dwarves nice to harmless insane people and babies on any enemy side.  Instead of checking if the unit initiating the attack was on your side, it checked if the target was on your side.  This led to your dwarves attacking any harmless insane people or babies not on their side (which means only those harmless insane people from the end game, no babies there).  This also meant that enemies were checking that the target was a dwarf, so they'd leave your harmless insane people and babies alone.  If there were babies crawling around in the underworld or brought along with goblin siegers (or in a goblin tower you settled on), your dwarves would have killed them.  Now they won't, and your evil enemies will not spare babies or the insane (aside from snatchers going after babies).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TurnpikeLad

• Bay Watcher
  • maybe this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »

So this means that I shouldn't release my insane caged human liaison in verson 176.38a because my dwarves will bludgeon him to a pulp.  Thanks for the heads-up!
Adon * Amil * Orethan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

If goblins are dumb enough to bring kids and mental cripples along on a siege and my dwarfs don't kill them, I'll get them acquainted with the backside of a bridge.   ;)

Actually though, the idea is pretty cool, I see morality developing. Would dwarfs then adopt goblin children that they've orphaned as serfs? Anyway, thanks for the reply Prof. Toad.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>If goblins are dumb enough to bring kids and mental cripples along on a siege and my dwarfs don't kill them, I'll get them acquainted with the backside of a bridge.    :D
quote:
Originally posted by Funkadelic Jive Turkey:
<STRONG>Actually though, the idea is pretty cool, I see morality developing. Would dwarfs then adopt goblin children that they've orphaned as serfs? Anyway, thanks for the reply Prof. Toad.</STRONG>

Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 05:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Armok:
<STRONG>
Seconded.</STRONG>

I thought that he was fixing the bug that meant dwarves attacked insane people and demons (and other monsters) didn't, and also didn't attack babies.

So now Demons will attack babies etcetera and dwarves will kill goblin babies.
Or maybe I just misread.