Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 29013 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Candy Cane Cliff~~ -Spoony's Turn-
« Reply #255 on: July 07, 2011, 11:34:01 am »

I still think fortifications are good since this is only the third year and we don't want the fortress to die that fast, right?

Just be careful around it. Demons take a while to move around, of course. They might be fast, but losing one miner won't be that bad. Just don't let it be spoony.
I've said this several times, there is a switch to cut off the tunnel to both adamantine pillars. Since The Player always gets notified whenever there is an HFS breach, I can pull the lever the very turn we breach it.
Also, Spoony never does any mining. His mining labor was off when I last checked, so I turned it on, but he still doesn't mine. The worst case scenario would be that farmerbob gets trapped in with the clowns, and one or two clowns make it past the choke point. Judging by how we handled the one giant, I have reason to believe that the combined forces of our guard and militia will not have trouble with a single clown.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2011, 04:49:05 pm »

First of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The room for magma powered smelters and the like is finished. The smelters, kilns, and furnaces still neeed to be made, though.
Second of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Conan didn't think his dining room/office was up to par, so I put some nice rope reed fiber bags in the room, and that seemed to quiet him.
Third of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Today, I noted that msot of the larger quarters had been smoothed and engraved, so I gave the order to smooth and engrave the rest of the larger rooms. Also, the guard's barracks is finished, the coffers just need to be moved into the room. I also was questioned by some of the metalsmiths about the new magma powered smelters, etc. I made sure to remind them the passage way to the new Magma powered workshops will NOT be blocked off if the Lock is activated.
Fourth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Several dwarves confronted me due to lack of jobs available for them, so I told them to go and help design the new Magma Smelters. (I made them architects.)
I also noted that the new statue garden seems to be a popular spot for fellow Dwarves to stay when on break, I saw a otal of Nine dwarves in there when I went by.
Fifth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Sibrek, a Gem Setter, was possessed by some ungodly force today. I made sure to keep an eye on him, lest he tries to do something detrimental to the fort. A few moments later, I was told that he had claimed a jeweler's workshop, and was madly dashing around and grabbing various materials.
Sixth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The guard has already adapated to their new barracks, as I was travelling into the mines, I saw Conan doing a combat drill with the rest of the guard. I made sure to keep watching Sibrek, who was gathering a very large amount of materials. He must be planning something truly grand to have to use all of these materials.
Seventh of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
More progress on mining towards the second pillar of adamantine. The tunnel is about halfway finished now. Sibrek is still gathering materials. Later, I noticed a fatal design flaw in the Lock. If a Dwarf were to flip the lever in a fit of rage, to only way to replace the lock would be to build and entirely new lock. Unfortunately, it is too late to fix this flaw. So I'll just have to hope that such an event doesn't happen.
Eighth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
All the extra beds have been completed, So I gave the order to move them into the into the two new dormitories. Unfortunately, While giving the order for the beds to be moved, I found that we were seven beds short, so I told the manager to get seven more beds made. Also, all of the magma powered workshops have now been built! I ordered one of the smelters to make Adamantine Wafers, and the Other to smelt our surplus of tetrahedrite.
Nineth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
I ordered Sand and Clay to be collected, so we could but the kiln and glass furnace to use as soon as possible, hppefully the loamy sand and clay in upper Uristildom will be enough. I also ordered area for another craftsdwarf's shpp to be mined out, so we could extract more strands from the raw adamantine. Sibrek has begun constructing whatever it is that he's planning.
Tenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Again, I had to wake up early to greet more migrants. I made sure to record the professions of each of them, and upon returning to my office, I read through the record again, and clarified that we had gotten an engineer, a herbalist, a thresher, a stonecrafter, the stonecrafter's puppy, the stonecrafter's keet, a fisherdwarf, a bowyer, and a gem setter.
Also, the tunnel to the seond pillar of adamantine is about two thirds of the way done.
Eleventh of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Apparently, the loamy sand is not good enough for glass. I surveyed the area, and noted that there is not any pure sandy, only loamy sand and sandy clay around the fortress. Later, i was informed that a clothier had died of thirst, after which I noticed that our drink stockpile was at a dangerously low 8 barrels. I immediatly made sure all stills in the fortress were brewing drinks.
Twelth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Sibrek has been working for two days straight now, I am beginning to worry that he may never finish constructing what he is planning. I have also made sure to tell all dwarves complaining that they have no job to brew drinks.
Thirteenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Sibrek finished his construction today!

The final stretch of the tunnel to the adamantine pillar is being mined out, also.   
Fourteenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Thank Armok, the drink supplies are now on a steady rise. We now have 16 barrels and counting.
I also marked Sibrek's great statue to be put in the middle of the dining room.
Fifteenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
We are now at 35 barrels full of drinks, and the brewers asre working nonstop. I also got another grand idea today, while strolling by Tobul and I's bedroom I thought that perhaps we should have private workshop near our bedrooms, easpecially since Tobul is a Legendary Woodcrafter.
Sixteenth of Sandsgtone, Autumn, Year 8
The statue finally got carried up to the dining room.
Drink supplies are at 39 barrels and counting.
Seventeenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The brewers decided to take a break. Mean while the rest of the fort decided it was thirsty.
The drink supplies are down to 37 barrels.
Eighteenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The tunnel to the sercond adamantine pillars is almost finished.
Today I realized something... The tunnel to the second pillar is a layer of stone above the tunnel to the first pillar. I made sure that a new lock will be made.
Nineteenth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Today I noticed that Tobul was cleaning her own blood off of her, yet there were no hospital reports of her injuring herself.
Drink supplies have climbed back up to 49 barrels.
Twentieth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Almost all of the larger rooms have been smoothed out, so I marked them all to be engraved.
Drink supplies are at 64 barrels.
Twenty First of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The second lock is partially completed.
Drink supplies have climbed to 66 barrels.
Twenty Second of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8d
Whilst looking at a map of the caverns, I saw a spot that could be rich in tetrahedrite. I ordered the miners to mine towards the area. Hopefully I will be able to procure a silver warhammer for myself. Then no zombie elk would ever threaten the fortress again.
Twenty Third of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Due to the massive amount of engravers we have in the fortress, the engraving of the larger rooms is going extremely quickly.
Drink supplies are at 71 barrels.
Twenty Fourth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Four more beds have yet to be made for the dormitory. Drink supplies are now at 79 barrels. We seem to be back to a decent amount for the dwarves of this fortress. Likot, a mason, has gotten himself stuck behind  a wall in the mines. Squid ended one of his Mayoral mandates today, though it probably isn't too long until he makes another one. 
Twenty Fifth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Three beds have yet to be made for the second dormitory. Though, I am quite sure that there is a bed for every dwarf, it would probably be for the best if the Fortress could support upwards of One Hundred dwarves. Mining towards the second vein of Tetrahedrite has begun, and Likot isn't stuck anymore.
Twenty Sixth of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
The private workshops for Tobul and I are almost mined out. The area still has yet to be smoothed and engraved. The wrokshops still need to be built, too.
All the bed have been completed for the dormitory, now the beds need to be moved into the dormitory.
I'd like to question why the previous overseer made so many doors, but I'm sure the answer wouldn't make any sense either.
Twenty Seventh of Sandstone, Autumn, Year 8
Conan's pair of adamantine Guantlets have been finished. Now all that needs to be forged is a pair of Adamantine High Boots for Conan and I.
Drink supplies are nearing 100 barrels, so I believe we are safe for now. We may need to grow more plump helmets, though.
The second dormitory has been completed. The bookkeeper has informed me that there is now a grand total of 132 beds in the fortress.
My prediction was correct, we have struck more tetrahedrite. This should keep the miners busy while we build the lock for the second adamantine pillar.
Twenty Eighth of Sandstone, Autumn, year 8
Tobul finally got an accurate headcount of all the dwarves in the fortress. We have a grand total of 93 dwarves living in the fortress. Which means we have a total of 39 beds that won't be used right now.
Tobul's woodcrafting workshop has been built, my forge has been designed, but still needs to be constructed.
A war dog had puppies, also. Hopefully we will be able to train them to defend the fortress.
Drink stockpiles are at 105 barrels.
For some reason, a dwarf left a pair of gloves and a hat on the floor of the Statue garden, and another dwarf took after them and left their wool hat on the ground. I think it might be Komra, leaving hats on the ground and making very large amounts of doors. Upon further inspection, I found that down the hallway, there was another hat on the ground, along with a pair of gloves covering another silk hat. Upon further inspection, there are piles of hats and gloves all over the fort, including one in my office, and one in my tomb.     

That last entry is no lie.
There are tiles that have a hat and tiles that have a hat and a pair of gloves all over the fort.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »

Dear Overseer,

Your concern about my door production is unfounded, you can NEVER have too many doors. may i suggest filling the tunnels to the adamantine tubes with doors, to slow down any horrors that may arise if when our luck runs out.

and the people of Uristildom have decided to do a "clothing swap". we're tired of wearing the same clothes every day, so now we get to wear someone else's!

From,
Inod Komra
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:52:08 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-
« Reply #258 on: July 19, 2011, 10:02:03 pm »

Bump.

Spoony, are you working on the save? I'm being pretty loose about how long you should take (against the rules), just so that you get your turn done with some decent/well written stuff to read.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2011, 01:25:26 am »

Hey, when I'll be getting my dagger?!  >:(
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »

Sorry for the Necro-post, but at least it contains the last four months of my turn, right?
1st of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
One of the pairs of adamantine high boots is done!
5th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
Both pairs of highboots are done, and I have now claimed the first pair.
8th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
Another forgotten beast was spotted in the caverns today. We deemed the beast Ipan Nethrezkusut. From what the messengers told me, I understand that the beast is a scaly sauropod, with three large eyes, a shell, and a poisonous sting.
Later today Komra engraved a masterpeice about the founding of Uristildom on the walls of a vacant office.
10th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
My private forge has been finished!
I immediatly made a mental note to eventually forge myself a magnificent silver warhammer from the metal smelted from the tetrahedrite.
Squid suddenly wants us to make tin items. Obviously he didn't notice that out fortress has a distinct lack of tin.
13th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
I finally freed up some time in my schedule, and decided to get around to forging that hammer.
17th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
The caravan from the mountainhomes arrived today.
I finished my hammer, and one of the woodcutters claimed it, saying he was a recruit...
21th of Timber, Autumn, Year 8
The merchant finally got to the depot today.
I made sure some peasents were hauling crafts to the depot, and I also informed Conan that he needed to go trade.
24th Timber, Autumn, year 8
We traded with the caravan today.
We managed to trade a load of stone crafts for all the worthwhile metal they had, all of their booze, and most of their food.
25th Timber, Autumn, Year 8
In an attempt to make use of the inane amount of doors in this fortress, I decided to have the masons build a small entry way to the area near the quarters of everyone. I also am adding a gem window to Conan's dining room so he will stop complaining about the quality of the dining room being too low.
Honestly, I can't understand how he only thinks his room is "modest" It looks quite nice to be, every square urist of the place is engraved, plus he's got some dogs in there and some bags.
26th Timber, Autumn, Year 8
I made plans to make an area for another farm, closer to the central part of the fortress. The miners immediatly began work on it, which pleased me quite a bit.
On a different note, the area for Conan's window has already been mined out, soon the window will be in place, and hopefully Conan will be pleased.
28th Timber, Autumn, Year 8
Upon creation of the Gem Window yesterday, the jewelers informed me that there aren't very many gems in our stockpiles, so I told the miners to mine towards some gems that were visible from the caverns after they finished mining out the farm...
I also told them to mine out more tetrahedrite after that.
3rd Moonstone, Winter, year 8
The liason from the Mountain homes finally found an Opening in Squid's schedule, to my understanding, he requested drinks, weapons, silver, cats, and armor. I was quite okay with this, as I have yet to find an object that the fortress has a distinct lack of that we are unable to make.
4th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
Strangely enough, the liason did not ask Squid about becoming a Barony even though I am quite sure we have met and surpassed any made-up prerequisites the Baron may have.
6th Moonstone, Winter, year 8
I decided to install another gem window in the vacant office, as it will overlook the caverns and be very useful for surveying happenings in the caverns...
7th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
Nevermind that, apparently the jewelers have refused to build windows over open space for whatever reason.
Also, somehow my right gauntlet is superior quiality, while my left one is only well-crafted.
Sometimes the metalsmiths confuse me.
8th Moonstone, Winter, year 8
I recently got updated on the stock by Tobul.
Apprantly we have upwards of 700 biscuits.
9th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
Today I got a message that a rockcrafter had died of thirst.
He accidently blocked off his only exit when building a craftsdwarfshop.

Oops.
12th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
I ordered the miners to start the secondary adamantine tunnel, but I am not going to go much deeper. Personally, I fear the horrors that may lie in the deep. Perhaps if someone else eventually becomes overseer they could mess with it, but I do not wish to.
14th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
I noticed a hole leading into the caverns that beats could possibly get into. I made sure to bring my squad and guard the area while the masons block off the hole.
15th Moonstone, Winter, year 8
Conan came into my office and told me that the merchants said they would be leaving soon.
Obviously it wasn't too important as we'd already bought out nearly all of their materials.
16th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
Today I got a report saying that Tobul had crafted a masterful wooden ring in her workshop...

Perhaps she is planning something?
17th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
The new farming area is almost complete...
just a little bit of channeling to go.
19th Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
The merchants finally left today. Also, the new farming area has just one ring of channeling left to go...
20th Moonstone, Winter, year 8
Conan left this sheet on my desk, saying it was what the liason had requested...

23rd Moonstone, Winter, Year 8
The farm is done.]
Dwarves will start pouring water in to make mud soon...
27th Moonstone, Winter, year 8
The hole in to the caverns is sealed. Thank goodness.

Crisis averted.
1st Opal, Winter, Year 8
A snowstorm kicked up this morning.
What a great omen for the month to come.
5th Opal, Winter, Year 8
I ordered the carpenters to make some more buckets so we can get mud on the ground of the farm faster.
Hopefully it will be ready for farming come spring.
16th Opal, 8, Winter
The buckets are all finished, however only one dwarf is filling the farm with water, while 25 claim to have no job...
17th Opal, 8, Winter
I have plans to build an entrance into the caverns so we can take care of those beats once and for all.
My plan involves having a tube-shaped rock walkway into a mined-out gatehouse, which will have a lever and a raising bridge to block out any nasty creatures from outside.
I took a peek from the windowed office, and as of writing, two of the beasts are in the water and one is flying, which gives us some time to build the plans without being interrupted, however, I am stationing the military there in case anything goes wrong...
22nd Opal, 8, Winter

Fortunately, this man of steel is in the second layer of caverns and not the first.
1st Obsidian, 8, Winter
The entrance tube to the cavern gatehouse has been constructed.
Hopefully the gatehouse will be mined out come spring.
2nd Obsidian, 8, Winter
Aquafier is in the area for the planned gatehouse.
I guess we can't mine in that way...
I quickly make plans for an entirely constructed exit on the other side.
4th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The leak from the failed gatehouse has been fixed. Luckily not much water spilled out, it's still safe for anyone to cross. The walls for the new gatehouse are complete. The roof will be added while the floodgate is being installed.
Hopefully we can be rid of that horrid fly before spring.
5th Obsidian, 8, Winter
I noticed one of the masons was too busy making doors to make a floodgate.
I fixed that.
Now I know where all the doors are coming from.
6th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The gatehouse is finished, but the mason is still behind schedule and hasn't made the required floodgate yet.
7th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The floodgate is finished.
Someone needs to come into the entrance and set it up soon...
9th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The floodgate is up, a mechanic just needs to connect it to the lever now...
Naturally, the mechanics are smart, and immediatly set forth of the task.
12th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The mechanics have been implemented into the floodgate, now they just need to be implemented into the lever.
After that, only a wall stands between me and that horrid fly.
13th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The mechanics are set, someone just needs to pull the lever and deconstruct that wall, and we shall be able to finally fight the creatures of the caverns.
I also got a report on where the silver warhammers I made have gone, I have one, Conan has one, one's in a bin in the upper part of the fort, and the other two went to a Milker and Seige Operater who were both a part of the guard. 

The lever has been pulled. A mason is already on his way to deconstruct the wall. I have ordered the miltia to stand at the end of the gatehouse while it is deconstructed, lest we get ambushed as the wall comes down.
14th Obsidian, 8, Winter
As I was watching the wall come down, someone notified me someone titled "Nano" had claimed a craftsdwarves workshop. I told them it wasn't the right time. He also told me that one of the terrible beasts was nearby the wall we were deconstructing. Of course, it wasn't the fly, to my surprise. I guess in all my excitement I forgot about the other beasts.
Hm... perhaps that is a good name for them.
Forgotten Beasts.
It has a nice ring to it.
15th Obsidian, 8, Winter
It has taken nearly two days to take out the wall. I don't see why we can't just take it out with our silver hammers, but apparently that will cause the wall to collapse or something.
In my opinion, as long as something has at least one thing supporting it, it won't collapse. But I guess i'm not one to argue with those who studied under high master masons for several years, and in turn, they have no right to argue with me about what material of hammer can crush a skull the fastest.
16th Obsidian, 8, Winter
It's taken two days to take down the wall and counting.
I think I'll have a nice nap.
19th Obsidian, 8, Winter
Today someone woke me up to told me that "Nano" had begun working on some strange construction. I returned to the wall, which still hasn't been taken down yet.
20th Obsidian, 8, Witner
I got a notice that a Goblin Snatcher had been spotted. I ignored it, as the pansy snatcher typically run away.
The wall's still not down.
21st Obsidian, 8, Winter
Another snatcher.
I am still intent on being there when the wall is finally taken down.

Another beast to hunt once the wall is down...

Another snatcher was reported later in the day.
I am beginning to get a feeling the immense amount of snatchers and the opening to the caverns may be connected in some way...
22nd Obsidian, 8, Winter
More snatchers, less wall.
A snowstorm kicked up near the end of the day again. Hopefully that will deter the snatchers for a small while...
23rd Obsidian, 8, Winter
I figured out why the mason is taking so long.
He's a child.
He knows nothing about masonry.
24th Obsidian, 8, Winter
9 days.
It's been 9 days and the wall still isn't down.
Later I got a report that "Nano" had created a wonderful bracelet or something. The dwarf who told me about it said it was encrusted with diorite, decorated with yak leather, and menaced with spikes of milk opal.
It seems like a bit much for a bracelet.
25th Obsidian, 8, Winter
Ten days that child has been picking at the wall.
Ten days we've been waiting here and watching.
Armok almighty, will it never e-
it's down.
The wall's finally down.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD MY BROTHERS, TODAY WE SHALL STRIKE DOWN THE BEASTS IN THESE CAVERNS!
26th Obsidian, 8, Winter
The Forgotten beasts are in the water.
None of us know how to swim.
I think there may be a problem here, but we moved downwards into the cavern anyway.
27th Obsidian, 8, Winter
Still nothing in sight...
28th Obsidian, 8, Winter
With no forgotten beasts in sight, we decided to go back to the  barracks for some combat drills.
1st Granite, 9, Spring
As spring finally comes around, I have decided to quit my job as overseer in order to work with the miltia more, and hunt down the forgotten beasts the in the caverns.
Fortunately, I managed to find time in between drills to pass off my job as overseer to that one fellow "Nano", the one who made the bracelet.

(Here is the save
Hopefully you'll be able to get the squad to kill the FBs, Nano.)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2011, 09:03:40 pm »

So where's the circus?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:11 am »

I've lost the thread of the story.  ::)
What's up with my dwarf?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »

i don't think you were dwarfed yet.. and if you were, you've done nothing of noteworthy yet.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2011, 03:09:17 pm »

Yeah, he didn't do anything noteworthy, and I couldn't make him a dagger sheriff because the sheriff has already been upgraded to Captain of the Guard.
Also I hope Nano keeps with my Dwarf's ambitions to kill the Forgotten beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]