Poll

What is our next project?

Helm's Deep (LOTR) style wall
The Bridges of Flinging
Underground Labyrinth
Second Aquifer Breach
Post in topic

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~Soon to have a Circus!~~ -Spoony's Turn-  (Read 29011 times)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile

I was thinking more for more mechanisms for traps. I don't really know how to do aquifer stuff, so I'll leave that for the next guy. I'll just start off a huge farming industry to keep our dorfs happy and fed.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, thank Armok that I have a partner for dispatching any skeletal yetis or zombies.

THAT REMINDS ME, ONE MORE RULE.

Machinesquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clarification requested, and we already have enough mechanics, so I shall be a totally legit doctor.

That is to say, diagnostician, surgeon, suturer, wound dresser, bone doctor

name: Squid
profession: totally legit Doctor, soaper
resume:

Squid
Totally Legit Doctor
Experience : ten years residence under Urist McDead
May we contact this employer? : No
Why not: He's dead
Oh, I'm sorry, how did he die? : don't worry about it.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice backstory, I'll keep that in mind.

Yay, one moar spot left! Then I can stop leaving my computer on sleep/hibernate  :D

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I'm going to clarify on what's legal and what's not to get through the aquifer.

Cave in technique: No. It's basically an exploit of a glitch.
Expose the aquifer to air and let it freeze over: Okay, but you cannot make a huge building to go around the pit afterwards.
Any other method involving pumps: Legal, the whole point I was trying to get at.

If I try breaching the aquifer, I'll savescum since its the first time I tried breaching an aquifer. Please don't let it be 11 layers...

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would suggest that if we cannot use the plug method for aquifier that we use the open pit method.

Channel down, being certain to do one line of tiles at a time, to prevent dwarves from turning themselves into popsicles.

I'm not sure why you don't want us to roof over the hole in the ground, but I suppose I can live with that.  Provided that we survive long enough to find and access magma, would you mind if the pit in the ground eventually got turned into obsidian, and then dug out into a proper entrance - with a big defendable building around it?  I like big defendable buildings.   :D
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile

I was thinking more for more mechanisms for traps. I don't really know how to do aquifer stuff, so I'll leave that for the next guy.

well at least i have my character's motivation.

If I try breaching the aquifer, I'll savescum since its the first time I tried breaching an aquifer. Please don't let it be 11 layers...

i'm pretty sure that aquifers have a maximum depth of 3 z levels.

Channel down, being certain to do one line of tiles at a time, to prevent dwarves from turning themselves into popsicles.

my dwarves tend to do that anyways, no matter how i designate the digging area. weather it be lines, single tiles, or even large areas, i always end up with dorfsicles
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:23:41 pm by andyman564 »
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i'm pretty sure that aquifers have a maximum depth of 3 z levels.
Have you read Soaplanterns? 11 FREAKING Z-LEVELS

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll be the last dorf.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you want your dorf to be named? Skills? Equipment?

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll be a miner by the name of Tobul Bekaralath. Don't really care what kind of equipment I have. I'd also like to be somewhat good in combat, if that's possible.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All okay. Next time though read the application format at the bottom of the op.

OKAY, WE ARE OFFICIAL START :D

EDIT: Kilo, since I don't have enough monies for another pick, I made you our bookkeeper instead. You're also a competent spearman.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uristildom - Daggerfaints ~~OFFICIAL GO!~~ -Regularly Updated-
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 04:50:28 pm »

RESERVED. FOR. JOURNAL. LOG.

Never mind, just want to comment:

Holycarp this place is going to be tough.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 05:11:45 pm »

Journal of Tobul Bekaralath

1st Granite

We've nearly arrived at Daggerfaint. I haven't looked outside of the wagon yet, but it's very cold. Oh well. A dwarf who calls himself "Conan" is planning to lead us for a year or so. He looks intelligent enough. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford a pick for me, but I'm fine with bookkeeping as well.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 05:24:22 pm »

Spring

1st Granite

At last, our journey is at an end!

Then we look around.

"Where the carp are we?"

A moment of silence.

Tobul speaks up again. "The king sends us, as his backup fort, to this wasteland, and expects us to survive here? Are you even sure-"

"Yes, yes, I'm sure." I examine the landscape to get a sense of this place. Quickly, my untrained architectural mind realizes the possibilities. In one view, its perfect. In another, its a damned barren, frozen valley where the only trees any of us can see are over in the distance.

"STRIKE THE EARTH!"

I quickly tell the miners Spoony, Komra, and Farmerbob to dig out a temporary stockpile in the dirt right under the surface while I go cut down some trees in the distance. I've heard enough tales of dwarves freezing and starving to death to know that it isn't a good end to our already-short lives.

"Hey, anyone hear that baying?" piped up Nano.

"Yes, but personally, I don't want to know where they're coming from. Let's just get underground as fast as we can before those sounds find us. Nano, you're going to be the first on guard."

"But..."

"No buts, we need a defender now. Or, you can mine while Spoony defends us."

"Good idea!" Nano quickly left to notify Spoony of his job change.

Squid cut in. "Hey, what about the wagon?"

"How about you take it apart. We need the wood!" I shouted over my shoulder as I left to cut down some trees. Why didn't we bring any carpenters?

2nd Granite

Komra came up to me. "We have a problem."

"What?"

"We hit damp stone."

He let the thought sink in.

"How far underground?" I asked worriedly.

"Well..."

"Carp."

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18