Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Language raws and special characters (keeping them in)  (Read 1860 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Language raws and special characters (keeping them in)
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:34:03 am »

Edit: *Turns out you can get notepad 2 for windows to help with this issue (I used the zip to avoid losing my default notepad)*  you can also use Edit from the command prompt but C&P is kinda hard to do for words with special characters.

I know currently there is a program to make your own languages for Dwarf fortress using the existing raws, but my main question is:
Are there any programs that can read the raws for languages that keep in the special characters/Accented.   Apparently the raws use code page 437 ( read that in an old topic about the similar situation) though programs that supposedly can handle that still give you Mojibake characters for the letters like еутвя.

-glares at notepad++-
or failing that, anyone got a chart that can translate what each mojibake character represents?

Again I'm looking to read them outside DF.

I should mention I usually use tilesets that don't change the letters that much as I rarely use graphics.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:57:49 am by Kaelem Gaen »

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Language raws and special characters (keeping them in)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »

Sounds like you have japanese language support enabled, as do I.

Make another account for windows that only has support for english, log on that account and open the file, and you wont see any mojibake.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »

Sounds like you have japanese language support enabled, as do I.

Make another account for windows that only has support for english, log on that account and open the file, and you wont see any mojibake.
Er, "mojibake" doesn't mean it's Japanese - it's merely the Japanese term for what happens when any text is rendered in any incorrect character set.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 03:45:30 pm »

Well I get japanese characters for those particular letters and I get the yen symbol for \ in text editors, due to not wanting utau and other programs to have broken filenames.  I figured I'd give him my solution not knowing any other reason he'd get the wrong characters.

But I've also looked into using font forge to make a ttf that uses a code page like ISO-IEC 8859-1 or Windows-1252 to add more foreign language support to the language raws, since there is no need for box-drawing characters in names so far.  If only legends mode would actually use the true type fonts!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:52:05 pm by Courtesy Arloban »
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"