Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Lamination v1.5 -Recycle Wooden Items And Farm Your Own Logs  (Read 10533 times)

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarven Lamination v1.5
Recycle wooden items into logs, farm plants that can be made into logs, and laminate normal logs into high value laminate logs.

Adds reactions to make three types of wooden laminate logs using glues.

Three types of laminates can be made.
1. Low quality logs made from scrap wood and glue.
   a. Scrap wood is made by breaking down wooden items.
2. High quality laminate logs made by laminating two normal logs with glue.
3. Bamboo laminate made from a new farmable bamboo using glue.
   a. Bamboo must be prepared for lamination first.

Glue is required to make these laminates and must be made first.
There are four types of glue that can be made.
1. Hide Glue
2. Bone Glue
3. Hoof/Horn Glue
4. Glue Cap Glue made from the new Glue Cap Plant which is farmable

The value of wood has been changed to make scrap wood the cheapest type of wood.
Some types of wood are worth more than others.
High quality laminate logs are the most valuable types of wood.
Custom Workshops for both glue making and lamination are included.
A file for use with Flora And Fauna 22c is included in the v1.4 for Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25
A Vanilla And Phoebus Version of plant_standard is included in v1.5 for Dwarf Fortress v0.34.06

Download
v1.4 For Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25
v1.5 For Dwarf Fortress v0.34.06

Change Log
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:24:23 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Lamination
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 02:31:40 pm »

So the laminate works as normal wood, but it has more value?

Is it okay to you if I include this to my Dwarf Fortress Advanced mod? The idea is very good, especially the farmable wood and using the spare wooden items that's not needed.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »

Thanks for the interest in my mod. 
I got the idea while I was looking at 50 unusable -highwood beds- when I ran out of wood to make the power supply (50 windmills) for my dining room semi-megaproject and wondered "why can't I resuse these?"

So the laminate works as normal wood, but it has more value?
Yes laminates made from logs harvested from trees work as normal wood but are three times as valuable as the wood they are made from.
Laminates made from scrap wood obtained from wooden items are less valuable than wood harvested from trees.
To make this work standard wood now has a material value of 2, woods with valuable properties (resistance to deteriation, structural strength, prized appearance in real life, ect.) have a material value of 3, exceptional woods (nether-cap and highwood) were give a material value of 4.  Scrap wood has a material value of 1.
Bamboo is only usable as wood in its laminate form and is equivalent in value to a laminate made from a valuable wood giving it a material value of 9.
Three bamboo and one glue are needed to make a log, and 5 glue caps and 1 fuel are needed to make glue cap glue.
Ten bundles of scrap wood and one glue are needed to make a scrap wood log.  Different types of wooden items produce different amounts of scrap wood.
Bamboo is a surface plant that grows in the same regions as the bamboo grass and can be eaten cooked, glue caps are an underground plant and can be brewed into glueshine.

Is it okay to you if I include this to my Dwarf Fortress Advanced mod? The idea is very good, especially the farmable wood and using the spare wooden items that's not needed.
Yes you can include it in your mod.

A few things must be done to make it compatible with mods that add new trees or types of wood produced by trees, and skin, bone, or horn/hoof types.

For trees you must add a new section to each tree so the laminates have the correct name and material value.
An example for nether-cap is show below.
The whole tree entry looks like this.

If a new type of wood produced by cutting down a tree is added its material template must have this line added to it for the new wood to be recognized by the lamination reaction.

If a new type of skin is added this line must be added to its material template.

If a new type of bone is added this line must be added to its material template.

If a new type of horn/hoof is added this line must be added to its material template.

Without these additions the reactions will not recognize the reactants or will not produce usable products.  They also prevent scrap wood logs from being laminated into high value laminate logs and prevent high value laminate logs from being used in a lamination reaction.  Wooden items made from high value laminates can be broken down to scrap wood because the reactions look for the [WOOD] tag look for [REACTION_CLASS:WOOD_SCRAPABLE]. 
Also Glue is techincally a type of wood so that is will go in the finished goods stockpile in case this might cause a problem with your mod. 
That is why I never released version 1.0 "reactions work but nothing is going in stockpiles" or verison 1.1 "introducing bamboo, and glue still won't go in stockpiles".  I fixed the stockpile problems and made the glue cap for version 1.2 which I released.

If you see any types of items I missed in the reactions that break down items into scrap wood let me know, I will update if you do.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:24:33 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:21 pm »

Thank you very much!

The Dwarven Lamination will be included in the upcoming 0.4.0 version of my mod.

And of course, the proper credits will be given ;)
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Lamination v1.3
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:43:45 pm »

Thank you very much!

The Dwarven Lamination will be included in the upcoming 0.4.0 version of my mod.

And of course, the proper credits will be given ;)
Your welcome.
I released a new version to fix a couple of errors I noticed while using my mod in my current fortress.
I fixed an error in the reactions that break down wooden items so they now can break down items made from normal logs, scrap wood logs, and laminate logs.  Before they only recognized normal logs.
I did this by adding [REACTION_CLASS:WOOD_SCRAPABLE] to their material templates and the break down reactions.

I also removed the entity lines allowing magma laminators workshops to be built because they are currently not used. 
They exist so I can add thermosetting adhesives later if I see a need to.  Most likely only necessary when material properties have an effect on buildings like waterwheels, windmills, ballistas, ect.
Sigtext

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Lamination v1.3 -Recycle Wooden Items And Farm Your Own Logs
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:53 pm »

I like this. Would you be okay with me adding this into a mod I'm making? If/when its released full credit goes to your work of course.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:59 am »

I like this. Would you be okay with me adding this into a mod I'm making? If/when its released full credit goes to your work of course.
Sure go ahead.
What are you going to call your mod so I can check it out when you release it?
Sigtext

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »

Is there a reason why you have separate tool types for each different type of glue? It should be enough to have a single "glue" tool with a suitably generic name, and your different glue material templates should be actually stating what they are made of (e.g. [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bone glue] for BONE_GLUE_TEMPLATE). Generally speaking, the state names for a material should always make sense when used alone and the tool name should simply be a suffix - if this doesn't make sense (e.g. for glue), then you should probably be creating the glue as GLOB objects instead of as TOOL objects.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 12:54:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Lamination v1.4 -Recycle Wooden Items And Farm Your Own Logs
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:56 pm »

Is there a reason why you have separate tool types for each different type of glue? It should be enough to have a single "glue" tool with a suitably generic name, and your different glue material templates should be actually stating what they are made of (e.g. [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:bone glue] for BONE_GLUE_TEMPLATE). Generally speaking, the state names for a material should always make sense when used alone and the tool name should simply be a suffix - if this doesn't make sense (e.g. for glue), then you should probably be creating the glue as GLOB objects instead of as TOOL objects.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to this I was painting my room at the time and forgot about it.
To answer your question the reason I had multiple tools was because I was having more problems with the reactions at the time so I did not put as much thought it how I should be using the tools or naming things.
The changes you suggested are included in the latest version now.
Sigtext

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Lamination v1.5 -Recycle Wooden Items And Farm Your Own Logs
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 07:27:27 pm »

Dwarven Lamination v1.5
Dwarven Lamination has been updated for Dwarf Fortress v0.34.06.
A Vanilla And Phoebus Version of plant_standard is included.
Flora and Fauna Compatibility file has not been updated yet.

Download
v1.5 For Dwarf Fortress v0.34.06

Change Log
v1.5 -- 2012-03-25
Updated for Dwarf Fortress v0.34.06
Compatible With Vanilla and Phoebus Graphics
Flora And Fauna Compatibiltiy Not Updated Yet, Will Be Done Later
Sigtext

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 05:09:49 pm »

Dwarven Lamination v1.5

Seems like an odd choice. Did you consider wheatpaste? Just boil flour and water together for a while. Might not have sufficient adhesion for laminates, but... I never really thought to try, either.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 05:28:55 pm »

Dwarven Lamination v1.5

Seems like an odd choice. Did you consider wheatpaste? Just boil flour and water together for a while. Might not have sufficient adhesion for laminates, but... I never really thought to try, either.
No wheatpaste does not form a strong enough bond or have enough tensile strength to make wood laminates.
It is also not waterproof so it would delaminate in a humid climate if used to join lumber.
Wheatpaste binds paper well because paper is much more porous than lumber so it absorbs much more of the glue.

The animal glues I started with are the only glues I know of that are made from natural materials, can be made with Dwarf Fortress level technology, and are strong enough to make structural laminates with.
Almost all adhesives that we use today are synthetic or are not strong enough to make laminates with.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:38:00 pm by arclance »
Sigtext