Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a random stone that I can't get rid of...[solved!]  (Read 1154 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a random stone that I can't get rid of...[solved!]
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:29:29 am »

So being a bit OCD about stuff, I like to REALLY manage where all of my stone is, and what I use it for. Sometimes, with the way that magma forges work out, this means that a stone or two end up in the magma. Usually, if the stone doesn't melt, this isn't a problem - I just edit the raw to drop that stone's melting/boiling point to just below 12000 degrees Urist, quicky load up the save, and the stone melts/evaporates, and then I can savequit, restore the raw file entry to it's original temperature settings, and all is well - the stone is melted into the magma, and I don't have as much micro-managing to do in my stone inventory.

However...in my most recent fort, I've come across a single chunk of phyllite that seems to be...*hidden* in some fashion. When I z-goto the single stone from my inventory screen, it takes me to a tile that's under my magma forges, but there's no actual stone there. It's just a tile with floor and 7/7 magma. I tried editing the raws anyways, just to melt it in case it was somehow invisible but present, but for some reason, it's still there. Mocking me.

I'm using the lazy newb pack, but no other mods. Is there a utility that can be used to destroy/remove this single stone from the game's log? A workaround that others are aware of? It's not game-ruining or anything, but I like to be able to mass forbid/unforbid stone based on what I'm masoning, and I know this is gonna drive me nuts...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:37:35 am by Fish »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Re: a random stone that I can't get rid of...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:40:05 am »

autodump in DFHack sounds like the tool for the job.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 03:51:48 am »

I just tried it out, and it didn't work...

I thought, for a moment, that it worked, but then I realized that if I do an area-dump or area-forbid, it marks this stone as dump or forbid as though it were normally accessible, but when I go the the tile it's supposedly located on, there's nothing but magma and flood, as I said. So it's still there, being invisible.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 03:53:34 am »

I thought, for a moment, that it worked, but then I realized that if I do an area-dump or area-forbid, it marks this stone as dump or forbid as though it were normally accessible, but when I go the the tile it's supposedly located on, there's nothing but magma and flood, as I said. So it's still there, being invisible.
Isn't it by chance built into the floor of the tile?

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:07 am »

Isn't it by chance built into the floor of the tile?

It shouldn't be - it's just one of the undertunnels for my magma forges, so no floors were actually constructed in that area or anything...also, from the inventory screen, it's now shown as being used in a construction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:49 am »

Chances are that when the magma was filling those magma channels, it pushed the stones around. Sometimes liquid flows do that, and when they do that to items in their path, sometimes they attempt to push items into places where they can't be pushed like walls, and when they try to push things into walls and such those items "disappear" as you've described.

If DFAutoDump or DFAutoDestroy aren't working, you're going to have to drain the magma channel and let a dwarf come by to pick it up. Even if you can't touch it, your dwarves still know where it is and can interact with it normally.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:18:32 am »

Chances are that when the magma was filling those magma channels, it pushed the stones around. Sometimes liquid flows do that, and when they do that to items in their path, sometimes they attempt to push items into places where they can't be pushed like walls, and when they try to push things into walls and such those items "disappear" as you've described.

If DFAutoDump or DFAutoDestroy aren't working, you're going to have to drain the magma channel and let a dwarf come by to pick it up. Even if you can't touch it, your dwarves still know where it is and can interact with it normally.

Alright, that sounds doable, assuming I go to rather dwarfy lengths to achieve this. I'll report back once the channel has been drained and examined :D

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:13:18 am »

Even if you can't touch it, your dwarves still know where it is and can interact with it normally.

As it turns out, this was the case :)

I drained the channels, marked it for dumping...and a dwarf showed up and seemingly produced the stone out of thin air! All stones are in the quantum pile, thank you NecroRebel!