Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Foldedlens {ended - embark corrupt}  (Read 18799 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Foldedlens {ended - embark corrupt}
« on: June 16, 2011, 08:23:40 pm »

We have struck the earth, and it is good.

Foldedlens has started well.  The merchants that came and left this past cold season brought plenty of foods and drinks to add to what we currently produce so that barring severe catastrophe, we shall never lack in food or drink again - even if we have to start eating puppy and plump helmet biscuits.

The outdoor wall to protect the water source and pastures & outdoor refuse area is nearly complete except a small break intentionally left open so the hunters and fishers can pass through.

The retractable bridge over the wall is complete.  It will make a fine emergency exit should we ever need to employ some sort of massively destructive subterranean trap against enemies.  However the microcline lever in the manager's office has not yet been connected to it, so it cannot yet be retracted.

Eventually the entire outdoor enclosure should be sealed tightly shut so that the only entrance is the one we have planned down by the river.  If we need to employ the emergency exit, we'll have to tear down walls to do so.

I have learned a little bit of every craft, or at least enough about them to design decent workshops.  Any dwarf coming to this place with a useful skill should find appropriate facilities to use their skills.  We have not yet excavated down to the clay, but we can see it down by the river, so getting access to it will be simple, then we'll just have to put up some signs and designate an area for the haulers when they are asked to collect it.

The new Depot is nearly finished, right next to the jeweler's shop and the shops for the craftdwarves to use making stonecrafts.  Someone had the clever idea of segragating the finished goods in seven piles, with the crafts going from most to least valuable as they get farther away from the Depot, and then the final finished goods pile contains all the useful stuff.

The forges are nearly complete - out of the last 2, one is planned, the other still waiting on an anvil.

Surveys have indicated that there will be coal and lignite and alunite as we dig down along the planned route to the river and excavate the trapsystem.  Steel production is nearly ready to begin.

We will need a very large number of magma safe floodgates and mechanisms, and if some non-magma safe floodgates and mechanisms are made as well, that will be fine, as the trap system's drainage for water should never be touched by magma, but it would be best if the next manager try to make everything down below magma safe if possible.  Armok knows that nothing ever works exactly as planned when a raging horde of trolls and goblins shows up, and judging by what lives nearby, we'll see them soon enough, that's for certain.

The design of the trap below is actually threefold.

The entrance by the river should be liberally seeded with cage traps and stonefall traps.  This entry corridor should be floodable at will with water only.  If the enemy dithers around and can't breathe water, we'll loot their corpses soon enough.

The next short stretch should have a couple hatches triggered by enemies, and some weapon traps.  We'll have steel soon enough, and three weapon traps with 5 menacing steel spikes and 5 steel spiked balls per trap will demolish most common foes.  (goblin grinder)

If the enemy can breathe water, destroy floodgates, and fly over the hatches, the last line of defense is the obsidian mixer.  The current plans allow for easy offside-draining after it's used, and the large number of cross channels should ensure a good mix of lava and water so we don't get nasty pockets of magma that wa heva to manually mine out later - if we ever need the trap.

I found that the plans for the lava and water obsidian mixer were eaten by one of the alpacas.  Sorry, what I've written above will have to do, or you can do something else.  I'm too drunk on this fine dwarven wine to care about much other than these books.  Don't take it out on the alpacas.  They are good for shearing, milk, and after we have about 10 females and a couple males, they will be great for meat and bones too.

There are several specialized stone stockpiles in the magma workshop area.  Be careful if you alter them.  They are designed to segregate coal making, flux, clay, metal, and medical-cast-making stones so you can quickly see what we lack.  A larger metal-only storage area will probably be a very good idea in the near future.

Right now the Billon Bin manufacturing process has just begun.  We should see a general improvement in the fort's organization as more and more bins are completed and the stonecrafter starts to burn through the piles of stone near the new Depot.  We have enough billon to make quite a few bins, and pretty much anywhere the miners go from where we are, they will expose more ore we can use for billon.

It's going to fall on your head to handle the next year, I'm afraid.  I'm burnt out and need a rest.

Domas Granitepick.
  Leader / Manager / broker / bookkeeper.

This world is based in this pure vanilla 0.25 tiny region.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86891.0

I've played a couple times for several in-game years each time.  Every industry is possible here.

I went ahead and used a DFHack on the embark site (not the game save) to get a prospector content and posted it in the dffd entry above

If you are interested in taking a turn, sign up.  One turn is one dwarf year, or one real life week.  I'll post a link to the save on DFFD when I get it there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:48:48 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foldedlens community game 1 year turns
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »

First year - Farmerbob - complete
Second year - Andyman564 - complete
Third year - Conan - complete
Fourth year - Futility - skipped
Fifth year - nanomagnetic - Lost in Limbo - skipped
Sixth turn - BrickT - complete
Seventh turn - ashton1993 - option for re-do - Damaged save
Eighth turn - Futility - skipped
Ninth turn - Dyf - complete
Tenth turn - ashton1993 - complete
Eleventh turn - Farmerbob - Reclaim attempt failed - colossus trapped but the save is corrupt.  Volcano overflowed.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:48:04 am by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Foldedlens community game 1 year turns 31.25 Vanilla
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:39:36 am »

The spring 1002 file is now up in the DFFD.  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4530

The first to reply here feel free to grab it and run with it, then return it to DFFD at early spring 1003.

I'll free up the above post and use it for tracking the players' turns.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

OK, looks like it's feedback time - I would have expected to have picked up at least one or two by now, but I'm apparently doing something that's putting people off.

?

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 01:10:35 pm »

I'd think we'd like pictures first.

Also, topics tend to be replied to pretty slowly here.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »

Conan's right, not everyone lives in the same time zone, so be patient.

and i'll take a turn.

oh, almost forgot to ask, how old is the fortress currently?
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »

Ah ok, pictures, I can do :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the non-magma workshop and storage area.  Huge storage with a ring of shops around it.  Not terribly efficient.  Needs to be split out into more organized workshop systems in the future.  The large number of farmer's workshops allows you to actually set up large sets of farmer jobs (shear / spin / process / milk / cheese) without them getting all bogged down.

The stonecrafting spam center and organized finished goods system is to the right, the series of 6 small stockpiles and one big stockpile that are heavily covered with rock until the stonecrafter gets their butt into gear.

Two unused spaces on the top edge that are predefined.  I was going to make one into a jail, the other into a cemetary.  The hospital is on the top edge of the crafting area & set up and stocked (except soap - which can be made now, all the shops are ready - just need the hunter to improve his skills a bit so we get more fat coming through, or the next elf caravan to bring some tasty pets)

Useful refuse, communal dining, and communal bedroom are on the left side of the workshop area.  Efforts are currently underway to complete a stone smoothing operation in the dining hall, in preparation for engraving.

9 magma forges, 6 of each magme smelters, glass furnaces, and kilns should give all the magma powered crafting capacity the fort could possibly desire.  one of the forges is planned and not yet built.  The anvil for the other is still sitting in manager waiting to be queued up.

The metal ore stockpile is pretty obvious, but around the magma workshops, the other stockpiles separate stone into it's uses.  lignite and bit coal in one, flux in another, medical stone & clay are separate too.  There is no generic stone stockpile anywhere in the fort.  There is a dump right next to the stairs up which will likely become very handy if/when the roof gets built...

The well system is nearly complete.  the stone walls are designated to be fortified and then after thats complete, a few channeling actions from up top will give secure water source that gets refilled by rainfall.  It does not get hot enough to boil off ponds in this embark.
The manager's office is located directly north of the well system in the main part of the fort - the lever in that office will be used for the bridge over the wall.

The aboveground area has the potentially miasma-producing refuse (which doesn't make miasma outdoors), the sand collection area, and plenty of room for animal pastures.  The well is planned to be up here as well - as soon as the masons get around to installing the floor.

The river is at the bottom right corner of the map, 4 or 5 z-levels below the current fort.  There's clay down there near the river too, for pottery.

The world is a tiny 17x17 with three cavern layers.  I haven't even bothered to dig down to the first cavern yet - but on embark there was a pond that collapsed into the volcano, allowing us to see that there's adamantium about 60 z-levels under the fort.

I did a dfhack survey on the embark site image I have saved before anything was touched:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:14:58 pm by Farmerbob »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 02:14:01 pm »

Conan's right, not everyone lives in the same time zone, so be patient.

and i'll take a turn.

oh, almost forgot to ask, how old is the fortress currently?

I apologize for being overeager, lol, really want to see what other players do with this, heh.

Fortress is at exactly 1 year - Spring 1002 - You're up Andyman

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »

ok downloading now, it's actually pretty amazing you got all that done in a year. (at least to me it is)
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »

ok downloading now, it's actually pretty amazing you got all that done in a year. (at least to me it is)

The population is at 17 - I had a good run of early immigrations.  Nothing terribly exciting skill-wise, but extra bodies are nice.

I start with 5 miners, a leader type with all 10 points on social leadership skills, and a farmer.

On embark, I enable pretty much all labors on the leader and turn off all hauling and he builds shops and does the basic infrastructure work while the miners alternately dig & move stuff around & the farmer farms.  The farmer gets all hauling disabled except food hauling, and cooking and brewing jobs assigned until he starts falling behind on farming, then immigrants take over everything but planting and harvesting.  If I see the farmer idling, I'll assign him temporarily to something for a few minutes to help out.  Furniture hauling or something.

As I get immigrants I set them up with groups of skills (butcher / tanner / leatherworker) or (woodcutter / carpenter / bowyer) etc, and slowly whittle away at all the junk the leader has to do until he has no jobs other than socializing, managing work orders, bookkeeping, and being the broker.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 03:20:53 pm »

Journal of Andy - Miner/Mason

1st Granite

well the boss, Domas, has been working hard for the past year. too hard in fact. she thought that she could run this place single handedly, pulling quadruple duty as expedition leader, manager, broker and bookkeeper in addition to her regular tasks.

Today she realized just how wrong she was, I was in her office this morning while she was outlining some plans for the future gatehouse when suddenly, she swept the papers off the table and screamed "By Armok! I can't take it anymore! The numbers! OH GOD THE NUMBERS!!!" in her rage she glared at me, pointed with a wrinkled finger and stated "YOU! you will run this retched hellhole! Now GET THE HELL OUT OF MY OFFICE!!"

me, in charge of an entire fortress.... Armok damn it.

2nd Granite

the other dwarves have taken to calling me Overseer, i'm not exactly comfortable with the title, but they keep on insisting to use it. not quite sure what to do with this place journal, so it took a walk around to inspect the grounds.

in the gatehouse (if you could call it that) i noticed the trade depot, or lack of one... how Domas managed to trade with the mountainhomes last fall i'll never know, i inspected the bridge and noticed that there were stairs on the outside! every dwarf knows that laden pack animals cannot navigate a staircase! and there seem to be a glaring hole in our defensive perimeter, literally, there are two sections of wall that were never completed, ill have to patch those up. i've also noted the utter lack of defensive measures that have been employed.

when i went back underground i asked Domas about the construction and digging designations near the ponds, she muttered something about a well and that i'd figure it out.

well journal, it looks likes there's plenty to this year. i'll make a list just so i don't forget.

Andy's To Do list

- Complete the wall

- Build a Trade Depot

- Fix the Bridge Access

- build a proper gatehouse

- traps

3rd Granite

well journal, i feel dumb now, i found the trade depot, it's right next to jewelers workshops. i'm still moving it outside though.

our cook came complaining to me about not having any more food to make lavish meals with. i took a look at our food stocks and it was true, among our 230 urists of drink and hundreds of lavish meals, there's not a single scrap of unprocessed food. the 7 plump helmets we have our still sitting in the feilds waiting to get picked. By armok, what was she thinking? cooking up all of our perfectly brewable plants! i shut down the kitchens and have told the cook to never touch another plump helmet or i'd throw him in the volcano!

i've also removed all other standing production orders. screw Domas and her roasts,i'm in charge now and i need the dwarfpower for more important tasks.

14th Granite

the bridge access has been rampified, the outdoor well built, and the wall sealed, time to work on that Depot.

16th Granite

journal, i wish you could see this wonderful chalk depot i just constructed, it glistens beautifully in the sunlight. i know it's a little rough around the edges, i'll build a new one once i get some blocks made.

i've also noticed that our engraver has been more interested in smoothing our dining area than carving out the fortifications to bring additional water to the well. i've decided to take this task upon myself, i mean how hard can punching a small hole through a rock be?

18th Granite

whew, never mind what i said before journal, diggin a small hole through a rock is infinitely harder than clearing the entire wall away, at least there's only one more.

our metalsmith came to me today complaining about how he has been overworked, when i looked into it i realized that Domas, in her infinite wisdom had our only dwarf capable of furnace operation and smithing running six smelters and a forge simultaneously! and all for the production of billion bins! i told him to forget about his previous orders and focus on the production of iron cages and bins.

one of the cats gave birth to kittens this evening, i've had a cage put in between the butcher shops to house them until they're fully grown and ready to butcher.

22nd Granite

Journal, the labor force of this place is an absolute mess! we've got farmers who cut wood, miners who craft stone and carpenters that make clothes!

given Domas's mental state, i've taken it upon myself to reorganize the labor force.

4th Slate

The Hospital is in need of soap, not that it will do any good without a doctor, and we have several smelly alpacas... i think i just killed two bronze colossi with one fluffy wambler !

8th Slate

The old rough Depot has been deconstructed and replaced with an even nicer one crafted from alunite blocks.

20th Slate

Nothing much is happening journal, we've been working on a line of cage traps to give us at least some basic protection should the bridge fail to close.

25th Slate

while loading a trap i saw a few figures crest the peak of the mountain, MIGRANTS! the others told me that it was my duty as overseer to meet each of them at the gate to assign them work duties. i fucking hate this job...

the first to come were two crafters, both of whom were ex-military, i've ordered them to drop their chisels and report to the magma forges to get suited up, we can't rely on traps forever.

the next through our gates was a bowyer, also ex-military, i've added her to the newly formed militia squad "The Diamond Bars"

following the bowyer was a diagnostician, our fortress has it's first doctor! i've made him the head of the hospital. the rest of the migrants weren't notable except for a high master brewer and a mason, who was also from the ranks of the mountainhome's army.

i drafted the rest of the useless sods into the mason's guild, i'll need all the helping hands i can get if i'm to complete the gatehouse.

27th Slate

while still at the gate greeting migrants i was informed that our blacksmith has been struck by Armoks blessing and has received a fey mood!

i was told that she rushed off to one of the magma forges and started collecting supplies for her "Masterpeice" i hope it's a warhammer, i do love a good warhammer.

28th Slate

i was told toady that Iton has begun her mysterious construction! i peeked in the forge and saw that all she had grabbed was a single billion bar and a lump of basalt. i really hope something good comes from this. but enough worying about it journal, the others are yelling at me to get back to the bridge to make sure i don't miss a migrant.

1st Felsite

it's a good thing i went back to the bridge, i almost missed our last two migrants, one of whom is skill in the use of both sword and bolt. with the last of them safely inside our walls our population is now 43. following the migrants was a herd of pets and stray pack animals, i've ordered the strays butchered and the pets to be contained in the pasture.

3rd Felsite

upon seeing our poor excuse for a hospital our newly appointed Chief medical Dwarf stated that there was no way he was dragging a wounded dwarf halfway across the room to receive aid, and demanded that we move the beds between the surgery tables and traction benches. he also went further and declared that he refused to walk into the sunlight to retrieve water for the wounded. i've commissioned the construction of an indoor cistern.

4th Felsite

Huzzah! Iton has completed her "Masterpeice" today!

A statue depicting the ascension of our late king to power is a great work of art indeed! i'll have this placed in the dining hall at once! and when valued at 26,400 dwarfbucks, it's the most valuable artifact in the fort! granted it's also the least valuable artifact in the fort, but i like to look on the bright side.

we've also set up a temporary barracks beside the hospital, when the gatehouse is complete it'll be moved there.

7th Felsite

The final cage trap has been set, now that we have our basic defenses in place i've laid out the plans for the ground level of the gatehouse.

13th Felsite

ground level complete. construction on upper level has commenced. the militia keep yelling at me about their uniforms being incomplete, i told them to be patient and the metalsmiths, yes journal we have more than one now, will get them their iron armor and weapons in due time.

17th Felsite

Elves! how they found us i'll never know, but i certainly know how to deal with the treehugging bastards.

19th felsite

our cage traps have already proved effective, they've snagged a goblin snatcher who would've otherwise made off with one of the fort's children.

21st Felsite

our ever so wise leader Domas has been shut in her office for the last 3 months. she claims to be updating the stockpile records, and won't even come out to talk to the elves! i've opened up the position of broker to anyone who will take it.

also, we've caught another goblin for the recruits to train on.

Doren Nishmeng, our cook ended up speaking to the merchants. he demanded that all useful items be handed over to us, the wusses didn't even put up a fight. at least their few barrels of alcohol will be a welcomed change from dwarven wine!

22nd Felsite

two snatchers caught today, if this keeps up we'll run out of cages.

1st Hematite

well journal i've made it through one season as overseer, and i'm beginning to understand why Domas is the way she is right now.

i've half a mind to give up this overseer position now, but the true nature of us dwarves is doing our duty, even if it makes us miserable, ESPECIALLY if it makes us miserable.

11th Hematite

while digging out the new cistern we struck bitimous coal! we now have all the ingredients for steel production in abundance, with the exception of the iron ore! we hit marble and tetrahedrite! there was great excitement over the marble, with two flux stone sources our ability to smelt steel is limited only by our iron reserves.

in other news, one of the Planters has taken to calling himself FarmerBob, and insists that he was the brains behind Domas's plans last year... whatever, if he starts to get uppity, i'll just sick the goblins on him. after i dig out a fight pit of course!

19th Hematite

I've just put my pick through a gold vein journal! the others were very excited when i told them about it, now if only we could find some blasted iron!

24th Hematite

with still 47 Urists of water channel to dig out we hit fire clay, at least the last leg will get finished quickly.

the barracks have also been moved to the mostly complete gatehouse, there is a separate barracks in the upper level for the future marksdwarves to train in.

one of the metalcrafters also decided to construct a billion well over the future cistern.

26th Hematite

Journal, today a rather rude furnace operator came to me and complained about not having any more iron ore to smelt, i have a feeling i'll be hearing from him for some time if we don't find a vein soon.

and the water channel is complete! fortifications are being built at the intake and all the loose stone is being dumped near the craftsdwarfs workshops.

i've also decided to dig a moat in front of the gatehouse to protect the soon to be drawbridges from trolls. looks like it cuts through the farmer's workshop area. i'm sure the farmers can make do with half as many workshops, i mean it's not like they're using them.

7th malachite

i made some revisions to the uniform list to ensure that every dwarf gets the correct piece of equipment and not some generic piece of "metal armor"

14th malachite

More migrants! urgh, this means i have to do that whole job assignment thing again... i hope the mountainhomes didn't send too many.

a surgeon and legendary seige engineer were amongst the rabble, i've queued up nine balista parts and nine catapult parts at the seige workshop. let's not let this little wonder got to waste!

the Diamond Bars have also received a new recruit, giving us 6 full time military dwarves.

thank Armok, there's only 7 of them, bringing our population to a nice even 50 and upgrading our status from hamelt to Village!  i think this calls for a celebratory drink, don't you journal?

the others have unofficially nicknamed me "The butcher" since i send all stray pack animals straight to the butcher's shop. i fucking hate useless strays.

and of course, the one time i ask Domas to do some work and sign a few production orders she gruffly told me to get lost, and that she too busy working on the stockpile records... what a bitch.

18th Malachite

one of our craftsdwafs has given birth to a boy! Huzzah! and such  a long beard! this infant will surely be a dwarf of great stature some day.

and on a completely unrelated note, our cage traps are filling up with badgers faster than we can reload them! i've made digging the fight pit a top priority.

well this is rather embarrassing journal, while channeling out one of the prisoner dumping holes i neglected the fact that i was standing on said channel. i'm now trapped in the arena, the other miners have started digging the access hallway out. in the mean time i've started digging out the arena.

25th Malachite

ALL PRAISE THE MIGHTY ARMOK! the others shouted in joy down the hole that they had struck magnetite! our prayers for iron have been answered!

and they also informed me that the water channel is finally clear of boulders, i've authorized the opening of the water intake.

4th Galena

soo hungry.... i could eat a live fluffy wamblers right now... i haven't had a drink in weeks, the world is starting to spin...

5th Galena

must. keep. digging. can hear sounds of other picks striking rock... must only be a few Urists away.

I MADE IT! I made it... can't write, too thirsty. getting alcohol.

12th Galena

there is a strong breeze in the fortress today, as the water rushed through the aqueduct, towards the cistern

14th Galena

two more snatechers caught today, we have no more spare cages.

16th Galena

another two snatchers today, these goblins are very persistent, i fear we may start seeing larger troop movement soon.

i've clearly marked a "safe" area for everyone to hide in when they attack. although there really isn't such thing as safe in a dwarven fortress. only safer. this area consists of the dormitory, the dining area and the refuse pile. the rock doors won't stand up to the attacks of a raging troll, but it should be able to keep out unassisted goblins just fine.

i've also placed food/ drink stockpiles in the dormitory, last time i checked there wasn't a dwarf who objected to sleeping in the same room as the booze. i also had doorways carved out between the rooms.

19th Galena

the mechanics reloading the cage traps have spotted human merchants! i don't fully trust humans, they are just as tall and just as arrogant as the elves, the only thing keeping me from taking their goods and slaughtering them is the fact that they have no objections about laying waste to a forest.

the others liked the idea of taking turns playing trader, so i've left the spot open, anyways it's more reliable than waiting on Domas the bookworm.

24th Galena

Cog Onolzolak tried her hand at trading today, it didn't go well, after several failed attempts, the last of which gave those humans a nice 2600 dwarfbuck profit, they simply said that they'd had enough of our childish games and were leaving. without missing a beat Cog flew into a fit of rage and demanded the goods be handed over, the merchant, surprised by the show of ferocity  coming from this stout creature simply stood by and watched as their goods got carted away. that'll teach those filthy surface dwellers what happens when you mess with dwarves!

in the end we seized a few types of seeds for above ground crops, some of their extra armor, which will be melted immediately, a few bins of cloth, a sizable chunk of their food supply, and a few miscellaneous items.

when the merchant finally picked his jaw up off the ground he shouted "YOU FOOLISH DWARVES! WHEN THE KING HEARS ABOUT THIS TREASON WE SHALL COME BACK IN FORCE! WE SHALL BREAK DOWN YOUR PATHETIC WALLS AND SLAUGHTER EVERY MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD!"

well if the human king will send an army if the merchants are allowed to return, we'll just have to make sure they don't. i've mobilized the militia. and told the civilians to hide in the shelter.

26th Galena

a lone Human Hammerman held off the militia long enough for the merchants to escape our territory. after getting his right arm chopped off the human tried to flee, leaving a trail of blood for our brave dwarves to follow. the militia chased the human most of the way up the mountain before catching him and putting him out of his misery with a quick axe blow to the head.

i hope the human king is a little more understanding than that hot-headed merchant.

1st Limestone

the winds of autumn have begun to blow, and i realize that i'm no longer the dwarf i once was. i'm changing journal, and i'm not entirely certain i like the direction it's taking.

2nd Limestone

i've told Farmerbob to plow several above ground farm plots. he seemed rather excited about having the chance to grow surface crops, and everyone else was excited at the thought of drinking more than dwarven wine and dwarven ale!

25th Limestone

Huzzah! the arena is complete! i've drawn in a picture so all future overseers can see it's glory.

that square room on the left is the contestant holding cell, with firing slots carved in the side walls of marksdwaf practice. the large circular room is the arena itself. the lever you see in this picture is to seal the arena from the rest of the fortress, should the contestants prove too much for our military.directly above the contestant holding cell is the prisoner insertion room.

as you can see, up to 72 arena contestants can be housed in this room, the lever to the left controls the doors separating the holding cell from the arena.

and journal, don't tell anyone else, but there's still a lot of loose rubble to be cleared, i was just too lazy to draw it in.

26th Limestone

now that the arena is done and everyone has had a well deserved break, i've recommenced construction of the gatehouse roof.

right as i issued the order, our glassmaker got that gleam in her eye and rushed off to claim a glass furnace without so much as a word to anyone. she quickly set up a wall of curtains and began to collect materials.

1st Sandstone

she's stopped gathering items and started drawing pictures of glass! she's the only glassmaker in the entire fort! nobody else knows a thing about galssmaking! anyways i've told one of the other craftsdwaves to learn quickly. i haven't lost a dwarf under my rule this far, and i'm not about to start.

2nd Sandstone

while working on the roof i spotted yet another wave of migrants! i slowly made my way down to the bridge and told each of them that they were now part of our glorious military! The Diamond Bars now have a full compliment of 10 dwarves, so i've created a marksdwarf squad, The Earthen Notches to take the rest of the migrants. i've ordered up 4 suits of leather armor and 5 more suits of iron plate armor. we can upgrade to steel later.

after the last migrant was within our walls i did a quick head count, 61 dwarves journal! i'm responsible for the lives of 61 of our kind.

6th Sandtone

Thank Armok, the other craftsdwarves managed to make enough raw glass to satisfy the secretive dwarf's needs. she's begun working on something but the curtains are pulled too tight for any of us to peek in.

8th Sandstone

i've decided to test the militia in our arena, most of the test subjects were stripped of their possessions, but a few of them were left armed. let's see how well they fare.

bah! a few of the badgers escaped the dumping room and are causing general mayhem, i've dispatched the marksdwarves to deal with them.

i can't believe it journal! one of the raw recruits took down one of the badger in a single shot! this dwarf is either a natural marksdwarf or very, very lucky... i hope it's the former. the second badger attacked a group of miners and was quickly torn apart by their picks. the final badger was turned into a pincushion before someone shot it in the head. i've put notes on the doors to the prisoner drop, reminding all dwarves to leave the doors tightly closed to avoid another incident like this.

10th Sandstone

our glassmaker tore trough her curtain wall today and ran around the fortress screaming "I've done it! I've done it!" while holding up a green glass goblet.

well when valued at a paltry 9600 dwarfbucks, it has now taken the position of the fort's least valuable artifact. my favorite part about is the image of the artifact statue. well it may not be very useful, but at least it greatly enhanced our glassmaker's skill. i have a feeling that legends will be told about her for many years.

ARGH! the goblin theifs are too agile for our haluers and are escaping into the fortress! after them! i've ordered the marksdwafs to hold the staircase while the melee squad comes up from behind.

15th Sandstone

HUZZAH! Three cheers for the military! they managed to slaughter all but a single goblin, who managed to slip past the marksdwarves. but this victory comes at a price, one of the melee dwarves was stabbed to death by the goblin master thief. i've commissioned a gold sarcophagus to be made so his remains may be put to rest.

28th Sandstone

Nothing much is happening Journal, everyone seems to be focused on cleaning up the post battle mess.

3rd Timber

With the roof finished and access stairs deconstructed, the gatehouse is almost complete, all that remains to be built are the double drawbridges. made of the finest gold bars of course.

11th Timber

The golden bridges were completed today journal! this means that the gatehouse is now complete! i've also decided that the hollowed out copper vein above the dining area will be the Control Room. all future levers will be built in this room to allow quick access in an emergency.

to keep myself occupied, ant to help protect us from the future goblin (and possibly human) bowmen i've decided to construct fortifications around the outer wall and a platform for the marksdwarves to stand on.

13th Timber

TO ARMS! WE ARE BEING INVADED BY... monkeys? the stupid buggers overwhelmed our cage traps and stormed the gatehouse. i think they're after the shiny gold bridges. they were quickly dealt with by the militia. after the butcher's done with their corpses we'll be dining on some delicious rhesus pieces.

16th Timber

The caravan form the mountainhome has arrived! and in a surprising turn of events Domas stepped out of her office today and is helping the farmers!

unfortunately she's more interested with planting seeds than meeting with the merchants so our "everyone is the broker" policy still stands. it looks like Domas requested enough weapons to equip an entire legion of dwarves last year. our Glazer picked up the role this time, and she traded our entire stock of finished goods for some steel armor, weapons, food, seeds, cloth and a few other items.

19th Timber

while constructing the archer's ledge our glassmaker suddenly saw an ugly green creature pop into view. IT'S AN AMBUSH! EVERYONE INSIDE! MARKSDWARVES TO YOUR POSTS!

suddenly an arrow flew over the wall...

A SECOND AMBUSH HAS BEEN SPOTTED TO THE SOUTH! THEY'VE BROUGHT A BOWMAN!

20th Timber

I SAID GET INSIDE YOU FOOLS! oh dear Armok, a handful of plucky civilians have tried to take on the goblins! i'm sending out the militia!

the civilians quickly broke rank and fled, they're trying to get back inside the walls, but the bowman is keeping them at bay. Damit, the sons of bitches just took down one of our doctors!

21st Timber

the militia commander just charged the goblin bowman! the fool! why would he charge ahead without the rest of his squad to back him up!? now he's surrounded by hammergoblins, i don't think he'll last much longer. NOOO!! The rest of The Diamond Bars had just joined the fray when a goblin hammerman put her warhammer through the commander's skull! his wife i going to be pissed.

OH THE HORROR! they've just killed a macedwarf and a swordsdwarf! but the rest of them managed to take down that bowman. after their leader was killed, the rest of the goblins broke rank and fled.

22nd Timber

the remnants of the militia chased the rest of the goblins out of our territory, i've lifted the state of emergency and have commissioned the construction of several more coffins. i'm keeping the militia on high alert, and have them guarding the entrance bridge.

24th Timber

Today i went to investigate why we lost three of our bravest dwarves to goblins, thier iron breastplates should have stopped the hammer blows... well they would've if they'd been wearing them!

When i inquired as to why they weren't wearing them, one of them piped up,

"too small boss"

"what are you talking about, too small?"

"not nuff room for a chain shirt in there"

"urgh, so then why didn't you just take off the shirt and put on the breastplate?"

"couldn't"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU COULDN'T!?!?"

"backpack was in the way"

journal, i would've written down the rest of the conversation but i doubt it would've fit in your remaining pages.

i've modified the uniforms again so that they'll be wearing their breastplates from now on.

also, one of the soldiers threw a hissy fit while i was out there, i took gret care to avoid her swinging spear.

28th Timber

with our militia not preforming as well as expected i've decided to add a line of weapon traps where the bridge meets the outer wall.

1st Moonstone

Every day pushes me closer to the breaking point, i wonder how much longer i'll last...

2nd Moonstone

Domas appears to be trying to hold a meeting with the unhappy Speardwarf, but she refuses to leave her office to go see her. she won't even acknowledge the trade liaison who's been begging for her audience since he arrived... i can see this won't be going anywhere quickly journal.

construction of the perimeter fortifications has resumed.

6th Moonstone

ARMOK DAMN IT!! that blasted recruit has destroyed the outer bridge! i've authorized on e section of the wall to be removed to commence rebuilding efforts. i've ordered the masons to rebuild the bridge out of green glass blocks.

10th Moonstone

with the additional coffins placed in the tomb the bodies of the brave defenders were laid to rest.

Finally! Domas met the the disgruntled soldier and let her yell. the recruit seemed much happier after venting her anger on the "leader". now Domas has finally begun talking to the liaison!

i told Domas to order some Rock Nuts and Cave Wheat seeds, i'm fed up with drinking dwarven wine! i want beer dammit! i also told her to request some more cloth and leather, a few logs of wood, an assortment of metal bars, a few pack animals, and a few other items that we may need next fall.

at the end of the meeting Domas handed me a small list of what the liaison said was trending in the mountianhomes.

they want bracelets and rings? we'll give them bracelets and rings... CRAFTSDWARFS! TO YOUR WORKSHOPS!

14th Moonstone

well journal, i've been keeping a little secret from you, i've been working on a little side project, my own suite. nothing too fancy, just a bedroom with an adjoining private dining area and a tomb. it still needs to be smoothed out, but it'll do for now. and besides, now that i have my own bedroom, having some hot dwarven sex with my fiancee will be a little less awkward. i've told the others to keep away from the room with the silver door or else!

23rd Moonstone

Huzzah! the new bridge and weapon traps are completed! i've move the lever from Domas's office to the new Control Room.

our defenses are now threefold, the line of cage traps to detect ambushes, the line of weapon traps to maim them, and the military to finish them off. it's a foolproof design journal! it simply cannot fail.

1st Opal

i've ordered roads of kalonite constructed to connect the depot with the gatehouse, sand room and outdoor well. our gatehouse will be paved with the blood of the blood god himself!

12th Opal

A Farmer has received Armok's blessing in the form of a fey mood! She rushed off to the leather works and began her frantic search for materials.

13th Opal

the Farmer has started her mysterious construction! as i passed by the shop i saw that she had grabbed a piece of leather, some cloth, a log, some shiny green glass, and a lump of chalk.

we've started a bet pool on what we think she's going to construct... i've heard that she like ballista bolts, so i'm betting that she somehow manages to fashion one of out of leather. the others think i must be as crazy as Domas to even suggest such a thing.

16th Opal

the furnace operators are complaining about not having any more ore  to smelt. Armok damn it! must i do everything around here!? i've told them to mark the magnetite vein for digging. they'll get their ore soon enough.

18th Opal

The Farmer has completed her construction! as she held it up triumphantly we could all see that it was a leather low boot!

a great work of art indeed! and it even has the picture of that pesky master thief embroidered into it! and when valued at just over 10,600 dwarfbucks, it slides in as the forts second most valuable artifact!

my only concern is that she only made a single boot! doesn't she know that boots always come in pairs? when i asked her why she didn't make a second boot she merely told me that "she didn't feel like it". figures...

26th Opal

By the gods! Domas is truly a strange woman, today she helped construct a segment of the roadway!

1st Obsidian

i can't take much more of this journal, forget what i said earlier about doing our duty, I WANT OUT!

2nd Obsidian

Oh journal! as a present, for being a mostly benevolent overseer, the other engravers have smoothed out my suite for me!

15th Obsidian

The road of blood is complete! with Domas herself completing the final segment. and someone seems to have drawn a face by the well, with the blood of the goblins.

16th Obsidian

snatchers are becoming a problem again journal, i don't wish to see another ambush this year.

19th Obsidian

the fortifications are mostly complete, we should be protected from all but the most experienced bowmen. the southern side of the perimeter wall is still in need of both walkways and fortifications, though this is merely for the sake of completeness and to let our marksdwarves shoot at enemies in that direction. The north wall may have to be built up an additional level to compensate for the hill, or the hill could be dug back a bit.

20th Obsidian

ARMOK DAMN IT! they've sent another ambush! everyone inside! no hero's this time! Our weapons traps have proven to be ineffective! the war dogs in the pasture have engaged to goblin axemen! bring out the military!

21st Obsidian

The military had cornered the last of the goblins by the glass bridge when more goblin war cries sounded. A SECOND AMBUSH! QUICKLY CLOSE THE BRIDGE!

NO STOP! LEAVE THE BRIDGE OPEN! THE MILITARY IS FIGHTING ON IT! but it was too late, someone had already pulled the lever. the mechanisms ground together and the golden bridges snapped shut!

YOU FOOLS! YOU STUPID FOOLS! YOU PULLED THE WRONG LEVER! thank armok for the idiocy of the common worker. had the correct lever been pulled half of the militia would have been dropped on the wrong side of the wall. the battle raged for the next few hours with The Diamond Bars decimating all the foes who weren't stupid enough to wander into our cages.

finally there was a lone goblin left, and upon looking at the scene of carnage before him and the 5 iron clad dwarves bearing down on him he decided to flee.

22nd Obsidian

wow, those ugly greenskins sure can run fast, the lone gobbo has cleared our territory.

We've won the battle! and without a single casualty! well two dogs were killed, and a bloody dog paw fell down the outdoor well! now we've got dog blood in there and no sane dwarf would ever drink that.

28th Obsidian

we all gathered in the dining are tonight for some new years celebrations. Ale was had, well wine rather... we still have a shortage of non-dwarven wine drinks, but there was merriment abound.. at midnight there was a toast to the overseer, me i guess, to have good health, fortune and lead them for many a year to come... i won't burst their bubble till morning..

1st Granite

well journal, the sun is up, and the dining hall is still full... it's now or never.

ARGH! I QUIT!! i slammed my fist upon the dining hall table, and silence was cast upon the crowded dining hall. i randomly picked one poor shluck out of the crowd and hollered "YOU! YOU'RE THE OVERSEER NOW!" i threw the little badge that said overseer towards him. "AND MAY ARMOK HAVE MERCY ON YOU!"

well i guess this is goobye journal, i'm retiring to the quiet life of a miner, with the odd masonry and mechanic job on the side. if the next overseer needs me i'll be mining out the magetite vein... i think i saw some coal and tetrahedrite in there too.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:27:16 pm by andyman564 »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 07:44:15 pm »

I will get in. This layout seems great, and I can easily make a castle out of this thing.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 07:56:41 pm »

I will get in. This layout seems great, and I can easily make a castle out of this thing.

OK, you have turn 3 :)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:11 pm »

Also, look at the Dwarf Overseer Recruitment thread. I suggested a new topic name.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 02:43:20 am »

I'll take year 4 and a dorf!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11