Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Util: Dwarven Taskmaster -View dwarf skill levels NOW: v  (Read 2585 times)

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Util: Dwarven Taskmaster -View dwarf skill levels NOW: v
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »

Previously, I released a utility called DwarfSkills that printed the dwarf skill levels to a spreadsheet. I have to admit, that wasn't the most convenient. In fact, it was enough so that I never actually used it outside of testing. So, I decided it was time to remake it with a slightly better user interface. And so, I present Dwarven Taskmaster v.2:

Dwarven Taskmaster
Note: Requires .NET 2.0 framework installed

I think the screenshot pretty much sums it up.
Open the program (from anywhere) while your fortress is running. Click the "Load Dwarves" button. Watch the list fill up. Yay!

Check boxes can make nobles and/or children disappear from the list.
You can click on the columns to sort.
You can drag the columns to reorder them.
Nicknames will be shown instead of first names when they exist.

v0.2
-counter shows number of dwarves visible
-Sorting professions now goes in game order, then reverse custom profession (so no custom profession goes last)
-Sorting skills works by experience. This means dwarves with the same skill level are sorted by how close they are to the next level. Italicized because I think that's frickin cool.
-error messages, dwarf race heuristic! (The first unit in the array should always be the first of your original seven dwarfs. Look at it's race and go from there. This takes a lot of the chance out of it!)

Sorry, but there are no last names in this version. Maybe next time.
Professions don't sort in game order. I plan to add custom sorting next time to fix this.

[ June 10, 2007: Message edited by: Zhentar ]

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Zhentar ]

[ June 13, 2007: Message edited by: Zhentar ]

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Util: Dwarven Taskmaster -View dwarf skill levels NOW: v
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:00:00 am »

Thank You.  Thank you.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:54:00 am »

And it will print out nicknames?

Excellent work! This will be immensely useful! I just reached the 80 dwarf mark and I'm already confused as to who can do what and how well.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 03:34:00 am »

and you did it all in visbasic XD
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:15:00 am »

But... can you mass-change dwarfs' tasks with this? Like, have all my farmers enable hauling jobs for the winter? Or was that another utility...
Reality is for people who lack imagination

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:29:00 am »

pretty certain that thats another util...
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:31:00 am »

Ok, downloaded and tried from both DF directory and from desktop but both give this error message.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>But... can you mass-change dwarfs' tasks with this? Like, have all my farmers enable hauling jobs for the winter? Or was that another utility...</STRONG>

Like someone mentioned, that is another util. Being able to change tasks is on my todo list (as is displaying enabled tasks)

quote:
Originally posted by 4bh0r53n:
<STRONG>and you did it all in visbasic XD</STRONG>

Oh hell no.  Visual Basic 6 is the only GUI environment I really know how to use and I still didn't use it because it makes my time at work so much more unpleasant. This would be C++ .NET.

Which brings me to....

quote:
Originally posted by Metalax:
<STRONG>Ok, downloaded and tried from both DF directory and from desktop but both give this error message.

</STRONG>

I forgot about one thing in my post, and I suspect this is because of it. This does need .NET 2.0, I believe.

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: Zhentar ]

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>And it will print out nicknames?

Excellent work! This will be immensely useful! I just reached the 80 dwarf mark and I'm already confused as to who can do what and how well.</STRONG>

Yeah, it'll do nicknames. I knew there had to be something I forgot to mention.

And yeah, I hit the 165 mark and I have no idea which of my 18 metalsmiths have any usable skills, and if any of them are decent weaponsmiths. And I still found my old util too inconvenient to use, so I sat down and cranked this out.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zhentar:
<STRONG>
I forgot about one thing in my post, and I suspect this is because of it. This does need .NET 2.0, I believe.</STRONG>

Huh. I was sure I already had that installed. Must have missed it when I did my last system wipe/reinstall.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 11:46:00 am »

Indeed, the managing stuff it is an other util (labourDF). But I wrote when we had just started hacking DF. So the there some occasional crash, due to our bad knowledge of the data structure at that time.

Fell free to use my code if it is of any relevance (however, I am not sure that it would. It only took 2 hours to write the core of functions. Reading and understanding someone else's code might take longer...)

[ June 11, 2007: Message edited by: flap ]

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »

Well, my original util had borrowed some constants and the window finding function from your program.

And yeah, the core functions are easy- most of my time on this project was loading things into the UI, either learning to use the GUI objects or converting familiar C structures into managed ones that VC++ is happy with. I'll probably still look at your code a bit though, because I'm not familiar with the labor preference memory structure at all yet.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

rather strange, i have the game running, i open  your utility, and hit load dwarves.. and nothing happens, it just stays empty.. any ideas?

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

Have you got the latest version of DF ?

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

Was your map generated in the latest version of DF? Have you added creatures? This uses a hardcoded index array and creature type ID. I know for a fact both of those can be off thanks to old maps, and I strongly suspect it can be different for modded creature lists too.

That reminds me, descriptive error messages (in fact, error messages at all) should be on my task list.

[ June 13, 2007: Message edited by: Zhentar ]

Pages: [1] 2 3