Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Util: Dwarven Taskmaster -View dwarf skill levels NOW: v  (Read 2583 times)

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Util: Dwarven Taskmaster -View dwarf skill levels NOW: v
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 10:15:00 am »

yes error messages would be useful, i am useing the newest version and i have added animals and plants, so is that whats causing it to not work? the dwarves/jobs/etc haven't been touched at all. should i try generating a new land for the hell of it?

oh i'm useing the Easy Pack if thats the issue?

[ June 13, 2007: Message edited by: nicholasneko ]

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

That's probably the problem.

The tricky part with error messages is I don't really know what caused the error; since I'm just looking at spots in memory and even looking at them myself it can be hard to tell what's wrong. In your case, the dwarf race type number is probably not 0x48, which I have hard coded. Maybe in the future I'll figure out how that number is picked and be able to figure it out programmatically, but not yet. So sorry, but for now it's probably just not going to work for you.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

why not maybe allow the selection of what location  ie 0X48  of where the dwarfs are, so those with packs and addons and such can make it work?

and how would a mere mortal like myself find out if that is said problem?

oh i did a clean install of the game from the website and it still won't load anything, just a grey screen.. hmm. quite strange..

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

Well, I'm not sure what it would be then. I'll have a new version out in a day or two, and I'll make sure to include error messages so I can figure out what's wrong.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

I decided to push one of my planned features to a different release. I stuck in error messages, improved the routine, and posted it. Hopefully this will fix your issue!

Coming next, in version 0.3!!!:
Conveniently filter out unwanted columns and dwarves!

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

well when i get home tonight i'll give it a try and see if it works.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

Errrr... Can I ask what's the difference between the "Metalcrafter" skill and the "Metal Crafter" skill?

Also, dwarf names don't show up properly for me, probably because the default encoding isn't capable of showing all the umlaots and stuff. All the "special" characters just show up as random hebrew letters for me :S

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

I just noticed that last night. One is metalsmithing, but I'm not sure which one. I didn't make the list myself, so I deny all responsibility. It'll be fixed in the next release.

As for the names being wrong, I don't know what's up with that. Toady is using an unusual character encoding, but I went through translating the special characters to a standard encoding. I might have missed one or two, but if it's all of them I'm guess it's either a font or locale issue on your computer. Is your computer set to a region other than en-US?

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

The "Language for none-Unicode Programs" is Hebrew.
Though the "locations" is United States :S

Its probably more of a "can you make the program more universally compatible?" than a "your programs is bugged!1" comment  :)

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

I suffer through enough I18N at work. I have no more time for your damned un-american character sets!

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:24:00 pm »

Zhentar, use ANSI (non Unicode/UTF8/other MBCS) functions and the Terminal font.  The hebrew/whatever characters is most likely the result of using UTF8 string encoding.

Also the Terminal font is the font that the Windows's console uses, and therefore the font that Dwarf Fortress uses.

If you don't know how to disable UTF8 encoding, you can translate the string yourself.  Something along the lines of:

code:
std::string translateAnsiToUTF8 (std::string s) {
 std::string result;
 for (std::string::size_type i = 0; i < s.size (); i++) {
   if (s <= 127) {
     result += s;
   } else {
     result += (s & 0x3F) | 0x80;
     result += (s & 0xC0) >> 6;
   }
 }
 return result;
}

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

working fine now o.o;;

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

I must thank you for the utility. It's a great asset for keeping track of what's where. I do have a few requests. Some might be trivial, others not so trivial. But I can't get told 'no' if I don't ask, so...

Requests for Dwarven Taskmaster:

1) An 'About' button, or 'Who the hell wrote this and how do I contact this person?'

2) Cut & Paste of individual names so I don't have to use 'Character Map' for that freakin' Ümlaut stuff

3) A 'copy all' that allows me to shove all the data into a spreadsheet where I'm making notes

4) A 'copy line' for when my wonderful character goes moody -> legendary and I only want to update something in particular

5) A column for Material/ Animal/ Food/ Drink preferences, which is why I'm making notes into the spreadsheet

6) Thought For The Day (or Why Is This Dwarf In A Pissy Mood?)

Thanks!

--Romaq

Romaq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 04:12:00 am »

I can't edit, or I would add the following so I'll add it as a reply.

My spreadsheet has the following colums. Column names with a * have more than one possible entry from a survey of 60 Dwarves. Notes follow:

Civ Rank (Highest Skill Attained)
Civ Prof (What that Highest Skill is)
Mil Rank (Highest Military Skill Attained)
Civ Prof (What that military skill is)
Profession (Cust Profession, specific skill target)
** List of individual skills here **
Stone Preference (All Dwarves like some one sort of stone)
Metal Pref (Half like some one metal)
Gem Pref (Half like some one gem, a RARE dwarf will like diamonds as if it were a material)
Wood (A few may like mangrove)
*Materials (Many mention one or more material preferences)
Color (Many prefer one color)
Craft (Most prefer like making one or more craft objects)
Animals (Many prefer one animal, a few like two, a rare one liked a specific plant, "Pig tails for their twisting stalks" in the same pattern as animals are used
Food (Many prefered at least one type of food, a few as many as three)
Drink (Some preferred one drink, occasionally two)
Hate (A few detest one creature)

If the data pattern can be discovered and directly 'sucked' out of the data into columns with multiple entries where appropriate, the data can be used to target specific dwarves with tasks they appear to enjoy. Those that don't like much of anything can be tasked among two groups: The Standing Army and The Reserved Haulers. And of course the two groups are swapped as needed so you always have a good military that's also hauling & cleaning. I also know the military guys need some craft when relieved so the job of hauling stuff is not so onerous, and 'tabled access' to their preferences is key to figuring out what to task them with so they are happy on leave.

Anyway, that's what I'm doing with my spreadsheet, and I'll cheerfully share my sample data with anyone interested. A 'tab file' format will strip away any potential macro issues, and the only fancy stuff in my table is the switch for coloring names by gender.

I also have a 'TOE', Table of Organization and Equipment, a Skill Levels table, Professions, Metal-->Ore table and non-ore/metal lists. I needed to make sure that an unusual preference material fit the catagory I *thought* it did. *I* think of Coral, Jade, Pearl and such as 'gems', but they are materials. Aventurine is a gem and not an ore, and so on.

I'll try to keep an eye here, or I can be emailed at asmith@mik-maq.com for a private request of a copy of my table.

Then if it's possible to have Dwarven Taskmaster extract all that info *for* me, that would be "th3 W1n!" Thank you for the software as it is, and your time and thought into it.

--Romaq

--Romaq

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2007, 04:53:00 am »

This isn't working with my latest fortress.  It worked fine before, but I lost the site to a goblin siege, and have now reclaimed.  The first time I tried to load the dwarves it loaded five (non-existent) peasants with no names and no skills.  Then it loaded two.  Now it says "No dwarves found!  But the sanity checks passed.  Is your fortress running?  It is? Then too bad, I don't know why."
Pages: 1 [2] 3