Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Are dwarves that have become used to tragity immune to tantrums?  (Read 10731 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've started to notice my dwarves dont get all that upset anymore when people die. I noticed after one massive slaughter that they all had a "has become used to tragtity" tag. i opened my gates to send my dwarves out to collect dead migrant bodies to lay some ghosts to rest when I got hit with about 4 back to back goblin ambushes. I raised my bridges and when the slaughter was over I'd lost more than half my dwarves. 30 out of 70. The survivers went back to work like it was just another day.

I'm wondering if this tag makes them immune to tantrum spirals or if they are just cool with it since they have legendary rooms and dining halls and plenty of types of food?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Are dwarves that have become used to tragity immune to tantrums?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 10:21:11 am »

"He doesn't really care about anything anymore" is the end result.  I've seen one soldier tantrum with with this trait, the only survivor of a full tantrum spiral who survived with about 8 happiness and quickly recovered.

Truth be told, this is a highly desirable trait, and seems to be encouraged by witnessing violent death (not butcher shop).  There have been many attempts at recreating this trait in a controlled environment, including babyfalls, automatic puppy droppers, controlled siege eradication, and abuse of pets and danger rooms.

I can't find the thread right now, but there's a great method for violent death farming.  Build a room way up, far enough for a lethal fall of whatever animal you're using.  Punch a few holes in the floor, and cover them with hatches.  Then place pressure plates around the room, linked to the hatches.  Place female animals in this enclosure, and leave the males secure elsewhere.  The effect is that the females breed, and walk.  As they walk, they hit the plates, and a hatch opens.  At low population, this is rare, but as population rises, the chances grow, and it's much more likely for something to be standing on that hatch.  Thus, the population in the room is never zero, but it fluctuates at some limit according to room size and hatch number.  There should be a roughly consistent stream of falling animals after a while.  Place this in your dining hall or barracks, and your dwarves will be exposed to falling animals on a regular basis, letting them experience death and grow hardened.

Perform this with wild animals, and you can butcher the remains.  Do it with domestics, and they cannot be butchered.  Cage traps should help you get some good, non-grazing animals, like lions or or something.  With sufficient dwarf power, you could even modify this for aquatic creatures, and use carp for added dwarf, or whales for added food.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:39:15 am »

This is awesome lol I'll look around for the thread.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:45:24 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:18:41 am »

Damn, you just managed to displace a quote from my sig.

This one:
"Hey Bomrek, you seen my new diamond studded loincloth yet? it menaces with spikes of adamantine, hurr hurr hurr"
It's been there for 2 years, you monster.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:23:13 am »

And your lamprey quote (which I didn't get anyway) is cut in half.

Your dwarves that are used to death can still tantrum, but they need failed demands, no booze etc. etc. stacked. Witnessing dying family was the easy road to a tantrum but for those dwarves it got overexerted and they "don't really care about anything anymore"
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:40:12 am »

These are the guys you assign war animals to by the way. 

Until you have a dwarf with this trait you need to juggle animal training about to get war animals with your soldiers without risking 'lost pet' thoughts.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:56 pm »

The dining room death attic just gave me an idea for handling immigrant waves that I am not particularly interested in keeping!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »

Does no one else feel HORRIBLE that we're developing scientific methods to turn dwarves into sociopaths? >>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »

And your lamprey quote (which I didn't get anyway) is cut in half.
Oh, man.  That lamprey quote is one of the best things on this board that isn't directly related to useful game mechanics.

Even those unwilling to chase the links should be exposed to the awesome in its entirety, so here is it.

I was working on an elf adventurer, and it turns out animals really are friendly to you, friendly enough to let you waltz up and strangle them to death.

So I was swimming in the river to get my stats up, since I had no way of like, getting any real armor or any possible means of surviving my plan to liberate/slay all the traitors at the Human Forest Retreat of Spudglade or whatever.

Anyways, I walk up to a friendly sea lamprey in the river, strangle the holy hell out of it. One sided battle, right? The thing won't even fight back!

6 pages of "You Strangle the Sea Lamprey!" spam untill I got overexterted and prompty drowned.

Worst battle ever.
Moral of the story: Sea Lampreys are hard to strangle seeing as they have no necks.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro? It comes with with this um, cedar cage, man, but its legit, the tree didnt' suffer any...
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:01 pm »

Bahahahaha that's so awesome.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 02:36:48 pm »

Does no one else feel HORRIBLE that we're developing scientific methods to turn dwarves into sociopaths? >>

Nope
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »

Nope

thought not... just thought I'd check though...
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:34:36 pm »

I apologize in advance for my psychotic pixels.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:57 pm »

Does the fact that we can come up with, and generally are fine with, this many ways to efficiently kill things make all of us sociopaths?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.
Pages: [1] 2 3