Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fadedcities--The Hatred of Shoveling: A Masterwork 3-in-1 Fortress  (Read 1814 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's been a long, hard road to this new Outpost, far from the Mountainhomes. We had brought ample supplies, but tempers wore thin during the trip. We seven survivors have quarreled amongst ourselves too much during the trip, though Lorbam was the main instigator, so much so that our convoy did not have proper pickets out one night goblins made off with most of our supplies that were to go towards building a fortress. Tempers flared and fingers pointed amongst the survivors as we buried our dead and picked through the remains of the wagons. All our weapons were stolen by the goblins, and we managed only to keep hold of a single training axe, some food, booze, seeds, and some coal and ore that were deemed too heavy to carry by the Orcs, and then the scavenging Kobolds that followed in their wake.

Even Lost our picks and our anvil.

BASTARDS.

Amongst the dead and mortally wounded animals, we managed to find some animals that weren't wounded and fled. Below is the roster of the living following the ambush:

Lorbam Avedlolok--Elf Hugger, He's the Expedition Leader
Gakit Stakudos--The most depressing lass I've ever met

Doren Moruliggal--Writing this letter, quite an impressive Dorfin specimen, if I do say so myself.
Ushat Listmorul--She's as beautiful as magma reflecting off of Chrome, free spirit

Rith Agothdodok--Decent Dorf, he tends to try to take things over
Osed Sanadustuth--Bitch. She Doesn't tend to talk to us.
Kivish Kokdathilul--Beast of a Dorf. He's easily the most able of the group.

None of us knows nothin' about buildin' a Fortress, but we figger we'll manage. Or combat. We don't know much about socialities much neither. Probably 'splains why we fought so dang much on the trip out here after we got ambushed. We've tended to divide inter three groups. What I've put up top o' this here.

When we finally stopped we agreed to divide the land up. Rith, Osed, and Kivish get the Northern section of our land, seein' as they've got a Dorf more'n the other two groups. That fat bastard Lorbam and I agreed to split the other two sections. We'll all need to take care of our own areas and never visit the other group's areas. Migrants will be split up between us.

So get more useless folks out here to be our slaves.

Because you can't really expect an artiste like meself to work fer food, do ya? Do ya think that modern sculpture exhibit I did made out of dragon shite was EASY? I need time fer the creative juices to flow. Along with the alchoboozical juices to flow.

I don't trust these limey bastards,

Doren.

Before I go further--this is using the Masterwork mod, so if you're used to vanilla that's why some things are different.

So I'm playing on a waterfall map, and this naturally divides the land into three separate playing areas. I'll be splitting my dorfs up, dividing the animals, etc. This will be enforced by burrows.

Generally how I plan to build the fort:

Group 1: Elf-Huggers.

Will cut down only a few trees, and will mainly be getting food by farming. and taking care of the livestock. Live on the surface, mostly. They were the ones that pissed the rest of the group off. I TOTALLY want to buy them some honey badgers. They.......aren't terribly useful. And got totally boned as far as territory goes. Responsible for all grazing animals and all hived animals.

Group 2: The Crafters

Will basically dig down and in case of emergencies their response will be to turtle up so that the *other* dwarves can take care of the threat and they'll still survive. For food they'll probably have some underground crops, a couple Fishing Ponds......but these will be the ones to make the money for the Fortress. They'll live close to the surface so they can be quick to grab the deals the traders offer, and shower the traders with expensive crafts.

They get moleweasels for vermin control, and Cragtooth Boars for defense, and Horned Caveturtles for eggs.

Captain Jack's speech in Doctor Who '05's finale comes to mind--"If you hear us fighting--if you hear us dying....."

Group 3: The Bloody Dorfs.

Basically these Dwarves will survive through blood. Hunting, military, mining, caverns, etc. These guys will be close to the stereotypical Dorf. They'll live primarily deep underground but come outside to hunt and hunt enemies. They get the most/best area. They get Hawks for hunting/eggs, Shaggy Badgerdogs for defense, the Leatherwing bats, and the Cavernkeep Hens for eggs. Also, they get ALL of the non-grazing male animals, to keep them safe. AND they're charged with protecting the Changelings and the Sprites.

And yes, I have no Anvil. BUT I'm going to get one by using the smelter to make one out of 5 iron. Not sure if I have enough for a pick for each group AND an anvil for each group at the start, and there's no obvious metal sticking out of the side of the hill. Nor coal. aw.

I started a thread like this a while back but didn't go anywhere. Thought I'd try again.

I'll be editing this in a little while with links to imgur that has complete list of livestock (picked up male/female tuskox as a bonus, woo!), embark location, supplies, complete Dorf list..... Didn't have enough points for Mastiffs. Would have loved to send the badgerdogs to the Elf Huggers, and Mastiffs for the Bloody Dorfs.

I'm probably going to end up sticking the male non-vermin hunters into a quantum cage. Because I'm fairly sure their spores can still infect everything while they're in a cage.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:04:01 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fadedcities--The Hatred of Shoveling: A Masterwork 3-in-1 Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:57:39 pm »

If you get a mechanic going on mechanisms, Masterwork's Rockforge will turn out stone picks for ya, easy.  Likewise, the Stonecutter's workshop will be able to combine three stone blocks into a stone anvil for ya - no need to waste metal on that.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii