Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stormrack, Magma Hammer redux  (Read 15921 times)

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: Stormrack, death monolith to Armok
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 11:58:06 pm »

This is awesome. Can you please upload the map to DFMA?

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 03:28:22 am »

OOC; I will for sure, but I'm a few years behind in posts now, I don't have an older save but will put it up as soon as I catch up.

Journal of Asob Oilyfortress: 59:

In the start of the new year the north refuse incinerator was magma flooded as it was nearly full. The inlet flow was found to be too slow for it's size, however a buffer reservoir dug into the magma supply passages directly above the inlet hatches should correct this. The south refuse incinerator has been dug out and is being cleared of debris.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The last of the golden grates and statues are being installed over the lower waterfall drains. It will be a while before it is operational; the power plant is just half finished, only two pumps are built and the power transfer equipment passages are not even laid out yet.

It seems the elves won't show this year as the disgusting toadmen have returned already. Kogsak instructs the three trainee squads of axedwarves, hammerdwarves and speardwarves to watch closely as there will be a test at the end of the battle.

The squad of toads advancing from the north come under crossbow fire from The Bronze Whip who patrol the roof and walls. Their accuracy is much improved. The first wounded toad dives into a pond to escape but bleeds out from it's wounds. The second is knocked out and The Bronze Whip pepper it with bolts as the rest of it's squad flee.

The toad squads from the east form two groups. As the first enters the blockhouse they are met by The Deep Palisade, led of course by Kogsak in a martial trance who disregards the armed toads to the point she considers combat with them merely as training. The trainees watch in reverence for the master.

As the second group arrives the slaughter spills outside and flows southwards following the retreat of those few toads that can still move.

After the siege is routed the trainee squads nervously assemble as ordered in a previously unused room in the training facility. They have all donned newly assigned sets of freshly forged steel armor on the way. As they are made to wait they adjust the straps on their armor and murmur dread rumors that Kogsak plans to fight against only the nine of them. When the drawbridge seals the room they go suddenly quiet.

With Kogsak and The Deep Palisades watching from above haulers start tossing prisoners down onto the trainees.

Chaos and carnage are the order of the day. Bloody chunks and dismembered limbs occasionally fly up through the fortifications on the second level. Kogsak notes slow improvement in their technique as they compete with one another for the killing blow on each prisoner thrown in.

The test continues for hours. Only when all the trainees are tired, hungry and thirsty does Kogsak halt the flow of prisoners. She seems quite pleased with their performance. I mostly just see a pile of gore that's taller then a bronze colossus at it's highest point. At least it's not my job to clean it up and the south refuse incinerator is now ready to accept the lot of it. The north one has been nearly re-filled to capacity since it's test run.

With the excitement over, The Deep Palisade go on patrol around the stockade and obsidian tower. There has been no enemy activity throughout the summer and it is suspected that ambush squads lie in hiding out there. Tables and chairs are finally being installed in the dining room to the delight of everyone. The miners, supplied with food and drink have been digging a U-shaped shaft off of the entrance hall and linking it to a staging area near the refuse incinerators of which the north one is currently in operation. Soon they will go back up and start a second shaft of a slightly different design.

Autumn rolls around, the second shaft is nearing completion and the south incinerator is already filled with the refuse from the training room which is summarily burnt in magma.   

Up top of the shafts the rest of the detour construction proceeds well. A catwalk is made to one of the rock pillars and retracting bridges built to drop invaders into the pit. The other detour is having supports built on top of it's rock pillars to hold up it's temporarily hanging floor.

Despite ongoing patrols, when the trade caravan from Dobar Or arrives they blunder right into a waiting ambush. The outpost liaison doesn't look back and is quickly reaches the safety of the stockade.

Their guards engage most, but not all of the goblins. The Deep Palisade is called in to assist.

The caravan guard do what then can but one merchant is isolated and picked apart slowly by his goblin tormentor. I now regret not sending a different squad as The Deep Palisade are still in transit from the other side of the map.

Some of the merchants are stricken by melancholy, presumably due to the loss of one of their own so close to their destination. A camel goes berserk and cripples a merchant before it can be put down. More merchants become melancholic. I've seen it all before, they are a lost cause, The Deep Palisade are withdrawn into the stockade and the merchants left to their fate.

In the chill winter air the sounds of the despondent merchants' suffering reach inside the stockade walls. Kogsak comes to me with an idea to divert attention from the lost souls outside; A Killing Contest. I would just have to arrange it, announce it and keep track of the bettings, a simple task for an experienced bookkeeper and manager such as myself.
   Having little of value, most dwarves wager part of their booze rations on their favorite amongst The Deep Palisades. It is without any doubts that I bet three entire barrels of plump helmet wine on Kogsak. Normally common, plump helmet wine is a rare treat in this fortress made even more so by the failure of this year's trade caravan. The contest will be in two parts, mostly for suspense but also to allow a break for drinking and mutilated corpse removal. The contestants take their positions and agree on scoring rules.

Watching from above I could tell the differences from the earlier training slaughter. The Deep Palisade were professionals and it could be seen it the power and confidence with which they fought. They put the mechanical efficiency of spinning steel discs to shame as they split the unfortunate prisoners into virtual fountains of limbs and gore.

After a quick clean-up the second part of the contest consisted of armed and armored prisoners. The killing was noticeably slowed and each contestant no longer had to fight the others over individual victims. Mistem Kadolvir the mayor and the outpost liaison Momuz Ducimmunest seemed unusually happy and together gratefully thanked me several times for letting them in on this "arrangement," I was gracious if only slightly confused, almost the entire fortress was watching the event.

As the contestants left the training room to cheers and congratulations all the way down the hall their scores were tabulated. To my shock and dismay Ushat had out-killed Kogsak by 42 confirmed kills! My wine!

As I lay in my room miserable and lamenting the loss of my hoarded plump helmet wine I could hear Mistem and Momuz laughing, cheering and toasting each other in Mistem's room next door. The sound of much booze was in their voices. I didn't care what made this meeting of the mayor and the outpost liaison so riotous until they burst in through my door with the news.

It turns out that Kogsak had set the whole thing up. She planned on throwing the competition from the start and had let the mayor and the outpost liaison in on it telling them it was my idea. They collected a lot of unfortunate dwarves' booze rations and drank most of them that night. Kogsak even won a elephant's weight in booze betting against herself through intermediaries.
   I couldn't possibly be mad at being left out of the plans. There would have been unrest if the organizer of the contest had walked away as with as much liquid assets as those three, and true nobility for three barrels of wine was a bargain one didn't need to be a bookkeeper to recognize.

The fortress is quite livable, our main defense weapon nearly complete, before two years are out I expect to have all our industries and luxuries fully established underground and all traces of our surface dwellings removed.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:34:42 pm »

Journal of Asob Oilyfortress: 60:

For a while the outpost liaison had been wandering the stockade near the door to the blockhouse looking like she was impatient to get on with her journey. Outside, the dwarves and pack animals from her accompanying caravan were probably all dead and hopefully mostly forgotten as well. Other then that goblin ambush squad, it had been very quiet around here lately.

Too quiet.

When the door to the blockhouse was unlocked The Deep Palisade and the three trainee squads moved to station points outside the blockhouse to scout a perimeter. Almost immediately The Deep Palisade were ambushed by six hellfire imps. Their fire breath was easily blocked but it sparked several nearby ground fires. The Outpost liaison had already started hobbling away from the blockhouse on her unexplainably broken second toe on her right foot. There was no way to call her back.

The uncontrolled ground fires were spreading but the hellfire imp squad was thinning, all of a sudden, an ambush squad of goblin lashers appeared amongst the smoke. They were momentarily lost as the smoke curled around them again but when the smoke next parted only their mutilated corpses remained as The Deep Palisade re stationed inside the stockade,

Someone's pet tame turkey gobbler that was left out on the roof of the hut spotted the next goblin ambush squad off to the north. It dutifully raised the alarm and the goblin bowmaster leading the ambush squad shot it's beak right off. I laughed a little.

The same goblin bowmaster also put an arrow in the marksdwarf Ducim Ralicum's left lower arm forcing him to withdraw to the hospital with motor nerve damage. Then however he led his entire squad of goblin lashers directly into the now raging ground fires covering the entire blockhouse area where they promptly melted and bled to death right on the bank of a murky pool.

A third of our surrounding area is charred or still burning. Even more hellfire imps showed up but they took one look and just turned around and left. At least the outpost liaison made it out carrying the confirmation of my promotion to nobility back to the bookkeepers of the mountain home.

I've been thinking about designs for a prison. Things were allowed to slide while we needed to focus on establishing our defenses but I'm not going to allow the other dwarves reason to question my authority let alone disobey it.

In mid-spring the refuse incinerators were both flushed with magma, the access catwalk was being deconstructed to make way for the last two bridges of the pitfall trap and the hydro-power facility's first expansion was just getting started.
   When the Elven traders arrived over the charred wasteland outside of Stormrack the looks on their beardless faces were priceless. They looked like someone had just punched their cat into magma. They still were more then willing to trade however.

I ordered some of the blackened and bloody clothes of our former invaders brought to the depot. I'm sure the pointy-eared bastards appreciate our garbage even less then they are letting on but they're still getting a lot of it.
   The lookout announced a besieging force of white tigermen had arrived followed by furies.

The Deep Palisade stationed themselves at the entrance to the stockade. The door was normally jammed open by refuse but oddly it was gone entirely today. The furies hung back while the white tigermen advanced towards the blockhouse gate. That's when we found out that the blockhouse gate was missing as well, both burned away by the fires of the hellfire imps. All military dwarves were ordered to stations. The Bronze Whip fired down on the charging invaders as the first of their ranks run into and directly over the field of cage traps in the blockhouse. Every trap's wooden cage had been reduced to ash.

The fighting quickly moved out of the blockhouse scattering dead tigermen as more dwarves joined the battle. An ambush squad of goblins was revealed during the fighting and retreated south after quickly losing two members.

The next group of white tigermen converged on the blockhouse as the military regrouped at their stations in front of it. Only the fastest escaped, the weak and bleeding deserved nor received mercy. Another goblin ambush squad was discovered as well.

Finishing with the latest goblins the bulk of the military returns towards the blockhouse and runs right into the last group of white tigermen who have just given up and turned south to run from the hail of bolts the Bronze Whip have been raining down upon them. It's good to see Ducim's crippled arm isn't affecting his shooting.

A few goblin thieves were discovered and killed by the military before they charged and attacked the furies en masse killing them all.

The food shortage everyone was blaming me about was not really a shortage at all as the elves had brought plenty of food with them and it was not really my fault anyways as I'm no longer responsible for any of those peasant duties anyways. It was more accurately a broker shortage as the dwarf I had assigned to take over my old job was located eating the last of our food instead of securing the imported elven food for the rest of us.

I actually had to go out there and order some random passing dwarf to trade with the elves. There was a pile of half-worn clothes with spear holes or missing sleeves. He threw a few crutches on their food display then pointed at it and at the pile of rags. The elves seemed ecstatic with the trading for some reason. Melbil will now be my new protege.

That damn mayor Mistem is demanding more lay pewter items. Doesn't he realize that he is obsolete now that I am a Baroness?
   We have just one imported lay pewter bars left. That crundlesporer is trying to cause unrest by pushing me to melt the masterwork lay pewter chains that we already have in storage. Melbil at least understands the problems of leadership, he's a good student.
   If that's not bad enough a ghost is haunting the dining room that looks like that merchantdwarf Zefon Ilirsazir who was just tortured to death outside of our gates eight months ago. A slab to commemorate him had to suffice as the whereabouts of his corpse were uncared about. It was constructed in the new burial complex cut down deep in the strong rock. The memorials and remains of Stormrack's fallen are collected and moved down from out in the wooden hut to their final resting places here as well. A decent place for worthy dwarves. Importance and privilege can earn a private resting place. Mine is the big one with the gold statues.

When some goblins ambushed a tame stray boar, Zan Morulathel, an unluckily  nearby woodcutter, ran back towards the gate but was suddenly blocked by another squad of goblins revealed by the gate weapon traps. The Deep Palisade were dispatched to rescue him by intercepting the goblins. Zan was saved but a single strike from a goblin's copper pike had cost him the use of his right lower arm. The muscle was torn, the bone was bruised, a motor nerve had been severed, a ligament had been torn and a tendon had been torn!
   A third ambush squad of goblins assassinated a stray dog then were executed by the Deep Palisade who were on their way back to the stockade.
   Some new workshop space has been added and cleared out in preparation to move textile and glass-working shops underground, a very large stockpile floor has been cleared to use as wood storage, the blockhouse has been repaired with a gate crafted of obsidian in place of wood this time and the main workings of both drop traps have been constructed and are mechanically connected.

The year drew to a close with an uneventful visit with the liaison and merchants from the mountain home and then an uninspired siege attempt from the foul blendecs. Their forces held out just into the new year against dwarven steel before being forced off after heavy losses trying to breach the stockade in small groups.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 05:43:42 pm »

Journal of Asob Oilyfortress: 61:

Our food supplies seem to be back on track. The haulers have been tasked with cleaning the piles of mutilated corpses and poorly-made gear from the stockade entrance. The door is intended to be lockable to trap would-be invaders under the crossbow sights of The Bronze Whip.
   An unconscious hellfire imp maceman was all that interrupted a return to work on the fort. The hydro-power plant and the waterfalls pool were being flooded in preparation for testing. It's power transmission equipment was nearly complete and a convoluted irrigation passage had been dug from the middle of the waterfalls pump stack. We will soon be able to farm in a room safely underground. That particular room however had been totally smoothed during a recent make-work program so it needed to be un-smoothed in places to suit it's new purpose. A minor delay.
   I have kept myself busy making copper bolts repeatedly while the liaison has been waiting to have his audience with me.

The first event of the new year was the arrival of a bronze colossus that wandered into our territory. Immediately everyone was on alert state 2. The beast, nay, the megabeast, moved very fast for it's size. It covered the ground to the gate before some dwarves decided to obey the order to get underground. The plan of course, was to capture the megabeast for our own profit so the military was held back deep underground. This plan raised some complaints from the lazy cripples resting in the hospital mainly because the new door between the stockade and the blockhouse was already jammed open with the remains from the new year's foul blendec siege. I ordered the hut's wooden door locked for safety.
   The bronze colossus charged the blockhouse gate but veered off towards one of our tame stray boars approaching from the other side. The boar led the thing on a great chase allowing the legendary woodcutter Rigoth Lolokthosbut time to slip inside the fortress unnoticed. Eventually the bronze colossus caught the boar.

It toyed with the hoof-less boar for a few days before strangling it then running into a trap in the blockhouse.

Late in the spring the engineers jump started the hydro power-plant by toggling the inlet doors and then let it run up to speed before test-running each of the separate pumpstack systems. Since the waterfalls performed flawlessly once the level in the pool stabilized, they were just left running as designed. Mood was visibly better around the fort soon after. Everything else ran fine however a test of the weapon is still waiting for some levers to be linked to their bridges.

We are again besieged. The flying furys armed with bows and crossbows are initially my main concern.

They are quickly replaced as the report comes to me that the new blockhouse gate won't close. Apparently it had never been connected to the lever. The mechanic responsible had suspended the task when ordered to stay underground during the bronze colossus' rampage and had neglected to take it back up. With the blockhouse door still jammed we are wide open to assault.

Since the furys do not advance the Bronze Whip are left on the stockade walls to soften the approaching enemy. The first squad of nagas meet the Deep Palisade in close combat in the blockhouse and die without exception. The second squad turns and runs after losing a few members to masterwork copper bolts.

Two squads of crossbow goblins sprang from ambush at the blockhouse gate and started firing at the Bronze Whip on the stockade walls. Kogsak and Monom rushed out and killed most of them driving the rest off quickly before the marksdwarves were badly injured.
   Their efforts had also attracted the attention of some of the furys who now chased and attacked Monom and Kogsack as they were heading back to the blockhouse just ahead of the converging squads of white tigermen.

With the two of them committed to fighting the white tigermen now and more on the way I got worried and gave the order for the three trainee squads to sortie the blockhouse and support Monom and Kogsack. It was unnecessary as the white tigermen continued with their tradition of cowardice and more of them fled then died. The amassed might of Stormrack was not put to waste however, they intercepted an ambush squad of goblin lashers before attacking all the remaining positions of the furys shooting down any ones that tried to flee skyward.

Due to limited access to the surface farms recently we are once again out of food. Everything with four legs and no names is herded to the butcher's shop and all idle dwarves head outside to gather plants for food from amongst the mutilated corpses of our enemies.
   It is late summer before we show a surplus of food again. The underground farms are nearly ready to flood. I look forward to a nice old plump helmet for a change instead of this wind-blown, rain-soaked surface crap.
   Dark stranglers attacked. Not surprisingly no-one had fixed the blockhouse gate control but dark stranglers do not pose much of a threat. They were driven off as fast as they came.
   Water was finally diverted from the waterfall pumpstack to irrigate the underground farming room. Soon we will have one less reliance on the surface. The above-ground hospital has been de-commissioned, it's underground counterpart is nearly ready.

Displaced by the loss of his old hospital bed, Rigoth Iklistthob, the previously bed-ridden bone doctor is now 'hauling' rocks to the refuse pile despite his spine injury. Surely a miracle of dwarven medicine.
   An effort is underway to relocate supplies from the stockade to proper storage underground. The remaining workshops in the stockade are also removed as well as the above-ground farms. The underground farms, I'm pleased to note, are finally producing traditional food much more fitting for dwarves.
   A couple of ambushes marked the arrival of the caravan from Dobar Or but they made it to the trade depot without casualties. Trading was conducted, bars, sand and food for used clothes stripped from the enemy. When the trade caravan had finally departed the trade depot was removed as well.
   The surface clean-up continued in winter punctuated by several goblin ambushes and a siege buy the white tigermen. While they were being chased off hell fire imps jumped from ambush and set fire to the blockhouse gate and trap cages again then quickly turned and retreated without a fight.

Fire and smoke will herald the new year.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

Journal of Asob Oilyfortress: 62:

In the spring the roof of the hut and the stockade archery range are both deconstructed. Goblin snatchers cause a few interruptions, followed by the elves and of course the pathetic toadmen. I had planned a test of the now fully operational Magma Hammer but the squishy beasts had balked and come to a halt on the non-functional traps of the blockhouse floor (the elves had already past it).
   The Deep Palisade went and purged the water-breathers from the blockhouse just before they were met by five goblin ambushes one after the other.

By summertime the goblin ambushes were over. Those puzzling toadmen which had frozen in place hardly moved again except to fall as pieces on the ground. The elves were once again given a generous volume of semi-damaged, thickly stained corpse clothing and seemed equally pleased with their fortunes. The northern refuse incinerator was operated at capacity and our captured bronze colossus was installed into the recently prepared eastern pit in the second half of the military training area.

By the end of the summer we had the blockhouse wall torn down as well as the outer wall of the hut. With breaches in the stockade Kogsak has several squads guarding it constantly while the last of the goods and supplies are brought down to safer storage.

Before it could be finished there was of course another attack.

This time however the military is ordered to immediately re-station by the underground trade depot. Both control rooms are dwarfed and all detour gates are closed with only minor incident.

The enemy breach the abandoned stockade and enter the Magma Hammer chamber. Power to the water pumpstack is turned on.

It's first test; the orthoclase lever is pulled and water splashes into the old volcano caldera causing boiling blasts of dust from the violent interactions of water, fresh obsidian and magma.

The would-be besiegers are knocked, pulled or otherwise thrown from the carved obsidian catwalk hanging over the caldera and fall to cleanly meet their doom at the bottom of the magma pipe. The water flow is interrupted pending the next squad's entrance. I have a second design change in mind already.

Another lever refills the caldera from the three magma reservoirs that surround the magma pipe to ensure proper long-term operation.

The Magma Hammer is activated a second time for the next wave.

One last time and the Magma Hammer easily finishes the last two squads. The only problem is that some of the enemy are stricken, uninjured but too shocked to even flee let alone continue the attack. Better timing will have to take care of that in the future.

Amazingly the goblins still managed to slip in an ambush squad of sword goblins despite the Magma Hammer. They didn't make it past the squads guarding the depot but I'm considering plans to prevent this same thing happening again.

The Deep Palisade went back to the surface to rout the stricken white tigermen that remained around our entrance. Even more plans to better our defense come to mind but they must still wait a while. The clean-up of the surface is re-started in earnest with the promise of secure dwelling validated. The old well just below the surface is floored over. Underground, the mechanics work on a minor modification to allow the magma reservoir pumpstacks to be controlled separately from the waterfalls pumpstack. The garbage compactor is disassembled and moved from the workshops level to a small room in the bottom of the fortress.
   By Late autumn work had begun deconstructing the walls of the stockade. A minotaur appeared on our border and scared quite a few dwarves before the military made short work of it.

With no worse interruptions the wall removal was finished quickly. The caravan from Dobar Or arrived on time and safe and dwarves are now bringing the goods scattered outside directly to the trade depot.
   Lately I have been pleased to get those exceptional dark strangler bone earrings that I had mandated our fortress needed. It's just a little perk of being in charge and we have plenty of bucklers anyways. Several successful trades were made with the representatives of the mountain home, but of course none of them involving earrings which cannot be exported until I'm sure I have picked the best pair.
   The dining room and common area have become a bit messy. A few dwarves are set to cleaning these areas up.

The cripple Rigoth Iklistthob is still 'hauling' rocks around. I laughed out loud when I though it might be the same rock as before and he suddenly looked like he might be angry as well as thirsty, hungry, and tired, but I didn't want to interrupt his work as there is certainly a lot of rocks to move.

An execution of captured thieves was suggested by the mayor to break this winter's monotony and it did that, though mostly through poor planning which allowed several of the less-killed prisoners to escape into the fortress through an unlocked door behind a left-open security gate.

That mayor Mistem Kadolvir is a fool. He has no idea of how to act with even the slightest level of importance. He mandates useless things like barrels and ballista bolts, nothing that would serve to inspire the fort as a whole. For now they will have to settle for a break from above-ground hauling as it is forbidden in anticipation of this winter's pending attack and much more underground hauling. I don't think any of those fools fear Mistem at all, he must have rigged the elections.

The detour gates are up but this time the Magma Hammer is bypassed to herd and trap the majority of the three squads of white tigermen on to the primary pit trap. The Deep Palisade slay the fleet-footed white tigermen that reach the trade depot then re-station at the bottom of the primary pit.

With the white tigermen test-subjects secure, the caldera bypass gate closes off and the approaching foul blendecs are directed into the Magma Hammer. The timing is perfect and... nothing, nothing happened, no noise, no dust, no death. The foul blendecs were packing in the fortress and I didn't want to have to drop the emergency pit trap so soon.

Fortune smiles on the prepared at least. A great deal of the foul blendecs were trapped inside the Magma Hammer due to it's multi-functional design. The rest died to The Deep Palisade backed up by the trainees in the trade depot room.

The fault with the Magma Hammer was traced to the minor change carried out on the magma reservoir pumpstack power transmission. The required re-organization of it's controls had left the Magma Hammer's water pumpstack switched off and more inconveniently no longer connected to a switch. While the wall is torn down again to let some low-level mechanic hook the controls back up the foul blendecs can just cook in there. The white tigermen on the other hand.

Stormrack rings in the new year with axes once again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:58:48 pm by Crashmaster »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stormrack, Magma Hammer redux
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 11:59:52 pm »

Melbil's logbook: 63:

water covering

SPRING

Asob mandated I should take over recording fortress events, also someone's gotta make a zinc thing. Mistem just says a couple barrels is fine.

Tried to capture small dragon Ustra Gilddiamonds, Urist didn't finish the last trap, big fire in depot area.

Party at the statue and rogue prisoner executions, most get into the halls again.

4 groups of naga's arrive, Mosus says they killed his guineacock, 5 more groups each of goblins and frog men come right after, Asob's magma hammer blasts most into the magma, a few just stop moving but the whole first naga group just get right past it, no big trouble for ours but seems the mechanics think the lever was pulled wrong, some elfwood about, 'too many wuns on the magma surface.'

Catten's cat got captured in the militia pet-catcher, the caging plan didn't work so it's stuck down there until someone drops an important baby in or something.

SUMMER

Started just throwing a few extra cats to the bronze colossus, ended up all non-pets, most dogs and all remaining prisoners got splattered all over down there, that and a party took most of the summer.

Attacked by 3 groups tigermen, 5 stranglers, all dropped to the pit and killed by Kogsak and her two.

AUTUMN

Fortress plans were cracked, caverns shaft pierced southern dump, walls built and mining resumed once spills cooled, caverns scouted and shaft sealed off at the bottom.

Began golden scout-arch construction at surface entrance, party to celebrate, caravan arrives.

WINTER

Arch finished and birds sealed inside, some trading, Asob sent 40,000 tribute in exceptional and masterwork copper weapons.

Mistem wants some ballista bolts made this season instead of barrels, but Asob's been mandating a puzzle box, she doesn't even have a puzzle.

5 groups tigermen magma hammered.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 05:19:31 pm »

Melbil's logbook: 64:

water covering

SPRING

Plans to carve a bunker from native rock of the cavern are set in motion.

Urist opened the wrong door, water reservoir pump stack access stairwell flooded to power room, channel cut from access shaft to drain stairwell into pumped-out reservoir.

3 groups of nagas and most of the 5 groups of tigermen dropped down to Kogsak's squad.

SUMMER

The bunker begins to take shape, pump rooms are being set up for the military and water re-filling the reservoir.

As soon as mining began out in the cavern, miner Udib got strangled by a blind cave ogre that got it's hands on him, the guards patrol the area now.

4 tigerman groups get the crippling drop into the pit before slaughter and so do 3 of the 4 naga groups that slip past the magma hammer due to break time.

AUTUMN

A giant is captured, work continues on the bunker despite bugbats.

Caravan, one masterwork set of steel armor sent as tribute to the mountain home.

WINTER   

Another blind cave ogre, this one bit the head clean off some miner, looks like Sodel's clothes we think.

Fire imps melted Unib the butcher, then got magma hammered with 5 groups of tigermen but didn't sink that far, now causing constant interruptions in getting his corpse.

Two more imp ambushes routed, surface re-opened, columns in the cavern surrounding the bunker are being cleared for line-of-sight.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »

Melbil's logbook: 65:

water covering

SPRING

Water reservoir purged again to mine a bunker supply channel, fire imps in the volcano are killed by bucket-dropping water from floors off the catwalk, Urist dumps his bucket like an elf and gets obsidian hanging off the corner of the wall.

Asob is on about the puzzleboxes again, water is flushed down the bunker's central stair to create a pool in the lowest level.

Fire imps catch and kill Kikrost Strangermined, weaver, and Etur Crestedshields, a leatherworker, before the guards get to them, surface fires raze the area.

SUMMER

Asob had me order the child, Vabok Tithlethatir, to remove the obsidian stuck to the magma hammer wall, a memorial was engraved in his honor.

A rush of wildlife from the caverns has led to minor injuries, the second fortress entrance from the caverns mandates an entire second militia company which is drafted from the population's most fit and set to endurance training in the pump rooms, A danger room is being prepared for them as well.

The wildlife surge preceded a gigantic green turkey, it was funneled into the bunker's hazardous materials pool and beheaded by the guard after a short fight, no injuries other then Ustuth Daletorch the hammer lord who was reported to have passed out for a few days after the fight.

Goblins, trolls and nagas arrive and file into the magma hammer, they are already processed and the Deep Palisade are mopping up the stricken around the entrance when white tigermen converge on the entrance as well, the three members of the Deep Palisade split up and chase the remains of the three groups of white tigermen off.

AUTUMN

The militia killed an annoying wolf, a soapmaker's ghost rose and was memorialized, A four-legged block of billon attacked the bunker, It was resilient but defeated, shortly thereafter a voracious cave crawler tried the same thing with the same result.

Trading was done with the merchants from the mountain home.

WINTER

The danger room and colossus shooting gallery were put into use, the former doctor, now peasant with a crippled spine, Rigoth Whispergirders is still hauling rocks from the cavern totally naked save for the -moose leather left mitten- he uses to drag himself along.

The fortress is stable and well-defended, surface and fortress-wide clean-up and organization have been completed, now I can direct the dwarf-power and resources needed towards my own long-term goals; PROJECT: M.A.D. SYSTEM, right after the tigermen and imp sieges are broken.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:23 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 66:

water covering

SPRING

Miners dig out multiple storage rooms near the surfaces.
Scaffolding construction underway despite sieges.
The main body of all sieges is blasted into the volcano by the magma hammer. The quickest and luckiest make it to the bottom of the pit to be hacked up by Kogsak and crew. The slow and the unwilling also get the same treatment when she leads the charges to re-take the main gate. Also there was a giant mole in there to.
Power plant expansion initiated to increase output 75%.
Secondary pumpstack emplacements are mined.

SUMMER

The Forgotten Beast Nguzo has come! A towering scaly cicada. It has a pair of squat antennae and it squirms and fidgets. It's dark taupe scales are round and close-set. Beware it's deadly spittle!
Limul and Ducim, both elite marksdwarves, opened fire on the best when it came around the corner in the bunker pool. They scored four quick hits while the beast missed four times from range. It charged Ducim, knocking him over and grabbing him by his quiver. It was poised to strike when Limul interrupted it with a crossbow bolt through the abdomen from behind, tearing the muscle, gut, ligament and tendon. Ducim then easily rolled away from it's attacks until Kogsak and Monom showed up and hacked the thing to bits. There was biting, but it wasn't done by the cicada.
Asob won't give up about the puzzleboxes, or the prison, or the four dwarves, including Limul (recently successful in Forgotten Beast battle), whom she says are responsible for crimes previously committed against her Nobility.
The pits are being fitted with a magma all-cleaning system. During a siege some Stranglers survive the pit fall and find there way into the magma drainage system expansion.

AUTUMN

The Elephants never tried to enter the Magma Hammer so Kogsak lead a force to slaughter them on the field since they were interrupting work on the scaffolding and stepping on cats.
The Colossus was re-caged to clean his room.
A mining accident claimed Tirist Sealcraze.
One child lost to remove some hanging ramps down in the magma hammer - looks way better now.
Scaffolding starting on level 3 above the tower with the access stairs reaching a few levels more.

WINTER

The first phase of the prison is already finished. Under pressure from Asob due to a recent pig-beating going unpunished I suggested Rigoth for captain of the guard. She gave me the order right then, thinking I'm sure, of her companion from the mountainhome, Rigoth Granitdrilled the wood-worker and not Rigoth Whispergirders, the naked cripple. I'll bet she'll never notice.
I modified Asob's designs for he prison only slightly by having fortifications carved into the walls surrounding the waterfall catch-basins. The prisoners Rigoth chains up are soon ecstatic. Rigoth, on the other hand is very unhappy. He isn't really truly 'hauling' anyone to the prison but they won't go unless he comes and gets them and it takes him so long  he is always hungry and thirsty. I'ld feel bad for him if it wasn't so funny.

Half the military was out on a moose hunt when a giant attacked. A couple speardwarves made short work of it luckily.
A Lay pewter colossus attacked our caverns bunker right as we were set on by a siege. The siege died predictably and the lay pewter colossus was broken by a single copper bolt.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 03:26:41 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 67:

water covering

SPRING

Asob's getting mad about the puzzleboxes again.
A mined-out vein was found to be flooding from the water reservoir.
Scaffolding built to 5 levels but the north east third is larger and therefore lagging.
A room in the obsidian tower is mined out where enough sun-light will filter through to allow surface plants to grow,
Plans are laid to pump magma into the main entrance. Work will begin as soon as the current siege is processed.
There is tigerman blood, puke and assorted body parts all over the entrance.

Work and battle on all fronts proceeds much the same as before though now Stormrack and the surrounding lands have been made a county.
Asob wants me to make everyone call her countess now. I'm too busy.

WINTER

The usual attacks' monotony was broken by a Roc that flew over the scaffold and came down the access after killing a turkey. Cage traps were ordered but some rocks that never got dumped got in the way of that plan. Fortunately the military caught the thing in an ambush. It was so tough it took multiple axe hits to weaken it's skull before Inod Gangaxe could bash it in with his silver warhammer. Good eatin'.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 68:

water covering

SPRING

Caverns cleared of columns, obsidian stored.
Living quarters engraved.
Nagas magma hammered, militia sortie ambushed by goblins while chasing off frogmen - no casualties.

SUMMER

Caverns omnicide squad finds a forgotten beast trapped by cavern growth while hunting hungry heads.
Exploratory mining locates a new source of marble for steel industry.

Scaffolding at 9 levels.
Marble mining excavation discovers adamantine.

AUTUMN

Crundle herd slaughtered, garbage burnt, goblin snatcher, caravan, Dutchy!
Scaffolding reaches level 12.
A dwarf wash in the caverns with all present was ordered by dutchess Asob while a bit of the adamantine vein was secretly mined and sealed off again with steel walls and a single engraving.

WINTER

Cave blobs spill their filth over the freshly washed caverns.
A cave-in trapped mineshaft is dug and rock removed from around top of the adamantine spire.
Tigermen siege and imp ambushes die in the pit a'la Kogsak.
Some get to the second drop, they wait there until scared enough to flee then drop in the pit on the way out.
So much mess.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 69:

water covering

SPRING

A forgotten beast puts up a good fight in the bunker pool.
The top of the adamantine is mined off, shield made - word's out.
Puzzleboxes...
Frogmens magma hammered.

SUMMER

Second cave-in trapped tunnel is started to access another adamantine spire and a third is planned out.
Nagas and stranglers magma hammered as well as gobbo ambushes.
Adamantine mining and processing at full capacity, casting works nearing completion.

AUTUMN

Rigoth of the starting seven jailed for lack of puzzleboxes, hah!
Yield from first spire casting is low due to SMR.
Top of second spire mined off.
Caravan, Asob demands zinc sarcophagus, hope she's planning to use it.
Ambush makes it inside after the caravan, kills captain of the guard/ floor-crawling cripple Rigoth before rescue could make it. I should feel bad.

WINTER

North spire casts a mining level, south spire is re-casting mined-out area solid again.
Magma hammer disabled to remove a cast plug from the dripper again.
Blendecs are dropped into the pit and shot full of bolts from the walkway, the fast ones meet the military in the depot.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 01:46:29 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 70:

water covering

SPRING

North spire cast yields good adamantine ore.

Elven traders, magma hammer repairs were forgotten, Tigermen everywhere, a couple elves died or something, the entire militia sorties to drive off furies.

SUMMER

Adamantine mining continues, there was a forgotten beast non-event.
Stranglers, nagas and gobbos magma-hammered, elephants riding moose tear around outside randomly.

AUTUMN

The main entrance is shut so that a second entrance gate can be built behind it to direct magma outside and ignite grass fires.
The smell of burning moose is strong.

When their steeds gave out the war elephants returned to look over the liquid-hot ground surrounding the main entrance before fleeing in all different directions.
East spire casting started, not good enough though - need puzzleboxes.
Traders, goblins, scaffolding at level 17.
The completed north spire mining operation is being back-filled with cast obsidian.

WINTER

Urist breaks his whole left side in a mining accident.
The last of a siege of blendecs slip through the magma hammer with imp ambushes destined for the pitfall as an enormous feathered peterosaur with noxious secretions is sighted below.
The warwolves and tigermen get in a scrap and scare each other off.
Clean-up time.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 03:57:05 pm »

Mebil's logbook: 71:

water covering

SPRING

Forgotten beast tallow fills the stockpile and kitchens.
Garbage burn scheduled.
Mega project component stockpiles expanded.
Injured miner dies from infection as tigermen siege destroyed in magma hammer, militia sorties to drive off more furies.

SUMMER

Mistem is swept into the magma sea though a hole in the floor while trying to clean up casting irregularities.
The deadly spittle of the gigantic crocodile Ino did it no good as it was hacked to death in the caverns bunker pool.
On the other beard the militia did the woodcutter Zan no good as he was shaken to pieces by a grizzly bear right outside the depot room before it was shot.
Large sieges of goblins and nagas catch two stonecrafters outside, the most agile is met back at the entrance by the goblins' trolls and escapes a disgusting fate by leaping into Armok's embrace from the magma hammer catwalk. The slower dwarf is cut off from the entrance and bleeds out pierced through by the arrows of naga bows.
The sieges die in the magma hammer and are joined by late-arrival war elephants as well, the last of the elephants and nagas try to hold the entrance but are flooded with magma.

AUTUMN

The lack of puzzleboxes was a great concern for the duchess Asob until she was caught outside by a goblin siege, the militia sortied and split up intercepting goblins from all directions, chaotic fighting ensued on many fronts but all civilians made it back inside. Now she just wants some quivers and something made out of zinc. I hope she doesn't find out I was the one that failed to issue the orders to get inside for siege season.
Caravan made it with the liaison.

WINTER

Work restarted opening up the caverns and storing the cut obsidian.
Work interrupted by a hard to catch draltha.
Warwolves riding camels have a map-wide battle with tigermen, fire imps and blendecs are dropped in the pit and killed.
So many pieces, time to burn more garbage.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 02:29:32 am »

Mebil's logbook: 72:

water covering

SPRING

East spire mining is complete and the site being back-filled.
White tigermen and elves arrived, we only magma hammered the tigermen but one got through and killed a single elf and well, elves'll get elfy, and they did, walking out on us right back through the magma hammer which this time we turned on.

SUMMER

Hungry head infestation dealt with.
Naga siege with some goblin ambush squads all magma hammered.
Passage to the adamantine mines walled off with steel.

AUTUMN

Kogsak executes prisoners by herself until thirsty, then Monom and Ushat join in, the usual big mess ensues.

Leftover prisoners are tossed to the bronze colossus.
Scaffold complete to level 19.
Caravan, liaison and war elephants arrive, only one elephant makes it to the militia guarding the depot.
Garbage burning day.

WINTER

A crundle heard interrupting the caverns widening is wiped out.
A foot-blistering epidemic is traced back to new cave blob contamination.
More crundles and a gigantic one-eyed lizard with large mandibles are expunged from the caverns.
Continued cases of foot-blistering are found in dwarves restricted from the caverns and traced to a contaminated butcher's shop.
Warwolves led by their general Slonu Gensangosm arrive on camels and lay siege. Their foot soldiers all die in the magma hammer while the mounted squad mills around outside until the general's trusty camel Spar happens to step on one of the old weapon traps from the entrance to the old blockhouse. His mount killed, he furiously charged inside alone. Allowed to bypass the magma hammer due to his rank, he gave in to a single bolt in the ribs before a lowly axedwarf trainee brained him with his steel battle axe.
The filth is about to hit the fan over Asob's puzzlebox demands. We have imported quite a number of them but she will not be satisfied. I'm spending more time outside the fort cutting down trees to stay out of her way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3