Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: &! At the start! (SPOILERS!)  (Read 3499 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
&! At the start! (SPOILERS!)
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:07 pm »

What's up?
I just started an adventurer in hell.

In the fortress defense mod, I made a frost ettin master demigod wrestler and started...er...you know...in hell...like I said a line ago. And...wait, I just noticed that I'M a demon!
Best. Bug. Ever.
Weird, though...The demons are nice, nameless peasants, and can't do anything useful like be recruited or give you a service or...anything. Even to other demons.
I can fast-travel out of hell, though, which is nice. Although when I got near a fortress and stopped I was a honeybadgerman, which sucks. I was hoping to...adventure somehow...and kill dragons and stuff. I was trapped in the top of a tower! I had to give in to starvation... :'( :'( :'(

Thoughts? Ideas on what the bug is? How else could I have dealt with being stuck as a badgerman? Whatever else you can think of?

EDIT: Tried being a great fiendspider high master biter. Nope, giant olm. At least caverns should be more fun, right? Oh, and apparently you can't eat plump helmet man body parts, despite them being made of plump helmet. EDIT EDIT: And apparently I started under the ocean, because I can't travel until I move away from the water. Given how slow olms are, I'm starving the olm.

EDIT^3: Beak wolf? No, ash gray demon, surrounded by others of her (?) kind. Huge leeches with round shells, long, shaggy, ash-gray hair, and poisonous gas. They know and intone the name of all they encounter, which must be kinda dull since demons lack names. If I could spew the gas, I would, just to see what it does. But I can't, and I'm outnumbered, so I'll try traveling...ah, crap, another under-ocean start. Can't I be a deer or random frogman citizen topside, or at least a whale?...Make that a sea monster.

EDIT^4: Huh, a dwarf seems to become an actual dwarf! Weird!
Too bad he seems to be encased in solid rock. Better retire...hey, he can actually retire! I thought my inability to retire had to do with the sites the critters were at, not their identities...so no critters retiring and living in houses.  :-(

EDIT^5: Ferric elf master bowman? No, fire imp!
Did you know that adventurers who see adamantine praise the miners?

EDIT^6: Hellfire imp? No, troll! Very low analytical ability...hah. I went to sleep and woke up in fast-travel mode all the way across the world as a...giant olm? Oh, crap, fast-travel lottery time...Maybe I'll get lucky and become a forgotten beast or something like that on the surface (yes, titan, I know)...You can't fast-travel in caves? Another innocent giant olm is going to starve...

EDIT^7: Un-retire the dwarf? Nope, creeping eye! I wonder if critters that feed on pure evil can stave...yep, they can!

EDIT^8: Spearfrogwoman? No, bugbat! Redundancy? Yes, lots!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:42:02 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: &! At the start! (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:18:41 am »

Stop funneling LSD into your computer.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »

Stop funneling LSD into your hard drive.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »

That's strange. There is a way to recreate the effects though, and it involves going to a freezing ocean, find a suspicious looking indentation in the seas (you know, the buggy square glacier of doom?) and go to sleep for at least 16 hours to ensure that you "die".

What happens next is that the game didn't register that you died, so it grants you ownership to the next creature.

However, your game glitched in a strange way, seeing that something like starting up and going to hell instead of executing the glitch in the wilds.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »

Stop funneling LSD into your computer.
I did not funnel ANY LSD into my computer!

The sad part is, after a while I started as what I told DF to start me as. Then a demon killed me. (I traveled to a cave in hopes of turning into a cave critter, but this demon didn't like that idea, apparently.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:13:31 pm »

ITs a bug. Go sleep on a glacier.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:52:55 am »

I think I figured it out!

The only towns were frogmen towns. Some of those towns were placed in the ocean, but as there was nowhere to put the adventurer, they just gave me a random critter.
Sig

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:56:12 am »

I guess your adventurer died before the game gave you control and had to stick you in a demon.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 05:42:08 pm »

I don't know when this was first reported, but I happen to have another occurrence bookmarked. For interest: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75246.0

Also, I found that if you mod in a civilization that builds underwater exclusively and try to start an adventurer in it, you'll start as a random cavern-dweller. Maybe fish and such too, my recollection's hazy.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 05:42:40 pm »

Any chance of a screenshot or two?  Would like to see how this looks.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:11:25 pm »

I don't know when this was first reported, but I happen to have another occurrence bookmarked. For interest: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=75246.0

Also, I found that if you mod in a civilization that builds underwater exclusively and try to start an adventurer in it, you'll start as a random cavern-dweller. Maybe fish and such too, my recollection's hazy.
That's my understanding.

Any chance of a screenshot or two?  Would like to see how this looks.
Sadly, I didn't think to do so. I think I stuck that world in a bit grinder when it stop giving me control of cool critters. I do have a save in the OP, though.
Sig

Gradir

• Bay Watcher
  • arrr
    • View Profile
    • Quetzal Studios
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 06:59:54 pm »