Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A noobs short story....  (Read 1896 times)

Accessdenied

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A noobs short story....
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:18:40 am »

Journal found.  It was a bit odd.  It wasn't from a deceased fortress.  But enclosed in a pile of trade goods.  Like it fell in there and was never recovered.

Day 1:  Ground looks good.  Surveys report we should be ok for food, wood and basic resources.  No exploration pits dug.  Unsure of ore contents.

Day 6:  We have a trade depot.  Not sure why.  But it happened.  The guys were eager to get started, and this being my first job, I didn't know where to start.  I got them to hollow out an area.  Soon enough we had a large enclosed area which we called our meeting point.  Soon it become our trade point.

Day 20:  Bedrooms are taking shape nicely.  Our woodworker does his skill justice.  Not like back home.  But considering that we are in the middle of nowhere, these beds are luxury.

Day 30:  Mining continues.  We have progressed well.  We have found some excellent stone for use in many areas.  The farms are now being sown.  We won't starve this year.

Day 60:  Everything progresses well.  We need more irrigation.  Have begun digging trenches and have nominated an area suitable for farming.  The nearby lake should provide adequate water for the fields

Day 80:  Tragedy.  Whilst doing some channelling a dwarf did a slight misjudgment and caused a cave in.  The ground collapsed beneath his feet.  The choking dust drove him to his knees before he could escape and the wall of water that followed ended in great tragedy.  Odim witnessed everything.  A good friend.

Day 82:  Odim is acting oddly.  His obsession with carving has gone further than expected.  His bedroom is now covered in carvings.  His skill is increasing however.

Day 86:  A day of levity.  A toad infiltrated the fortress.  The cavein wasn't quite tidied up yet and the slippery devil caused much hilarity.  Hopefully this will shake Odim out of his mood.

Day 89:  The toad did not have the intended consequence.  The engravings have become disturbing.  Dwarves are surrounded by toads in his pictures.  The dwarves laugh at the toads.  IT WAS ONE TOAD!  At least the frescos are better than before.  Marginally.  But I'm not sure which is better.  The drowning dwarves or the images of the toad plagues.

Day 95:  The dining hall is covered in images of toads.  This can't go on.

Day 110:  Things have settled down.  For better or worse he's now carving seats.  I've refused to look at the seats to see what they look like.  I'm worried by his cheery grin.  He almost seems ecstatic.  I think we have to keep him working.  I hope we don't run out of rock.  Ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors note:
This is my first game of DF ever..  This is also my first attempt at writing something like this.  I have to admit.  The game made it extremely easy for me.  The material provided is fantastic.  It's like a "Days of Our Lives" with dwarves.  The timeline is very rough only as I'm still working that part out.  But I think it was the story that was more important, rather than the time taken.

The game continues.  If anything else amusing happens.. .....   I'll let you know.  All hail hypno-toad who has obviously taken over one of my dwarves.

Dave

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Re: A noobs short story....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:24:55 am »

Not bad for a beginner at DF.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:28 am »

Better than most first forts already, probably.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 06:02:22 am »

very nice, eager to see more.

Accessdenied

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:21 pm »

(I actually have forgotten the name of my fortress.  I think I got it right below.  Don't ask for English name as that completely eludes me)

Psychologists report:

Interview of survivors from the dwarf outpost Kilrudkoman.

Noted many had experienced severe physical and mental trauma.

I have managed to piece together this much.

For a long time this fortress was a happy place to live.  It was prosperous in many ways.  Silver was piling up nicely, but the fortress was sorely lacking in iron.  In fact in many levels of exploratory digging no iron appeared.  Towards the end they managed to strike some copper.  There was no tin to make any bronze and it was by pure chance that the next caravan came with 1 tin bar.

From this was forged a bronze axe given to the military.  Otherwise, lead and silver weapons, coupled with wooden and bone crossbows were the armaments of the dwarves.

It was never clear what caused it, but a dwarven child went berserk and started attacking all nearby.  Many people were injured and finally the child had to be killed.  Regretably, it was the wielder of the bronze axe that did the killing blow.  The childs father.

From here the mood of the outpost went very bleak.  The father withdrew and would not give up his axe, it was during this period when the miltary were still nursing their wounds that the goblins attacked.  Orders to raise the drawbridge were ignored as people chose to flee instead.  Many were cut down as they fled past the goblins.

Inside it was too much for the father of the slain child and he too went berserk.  His bronze weapon cut through the other dwarves like a hot knife through butter.  With nowhere left to go, the remained fled the fort.

The remaining survivors made it back here.

Fewer than a dozen dwarves.  None who I feel fit are return to any duties.

End of report.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 09:43:10 pm »

quick lock all those who are not able to work or fight into a borrow filled with spike traps and a locked door, with the controlling lever on repeat. all their friends can just "deal"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:52:58 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »