Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian farming on the glacier  (Read 3372 times)

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian farming on the glacier
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:13 am »

Recently, I've been trying to work with a volcano in a flat glacier; just now I've perfected an obsidian farm that works without any pumps as long as you have both; all that's necessary is walls, bridges, levers, and of course, some miners.

For those who are asking "why no pumps?": I just happen not to like them. I find it annoying to have to get pipes so often, since they have to be made from non-replenishable resources.

Top level:
Code: [Select]
OOOOO
O_BBD
d_BBO
O_BBD
OOOOO

The right side should be connected to some lava, which can be obtained from the volcano.

Bottom level:
Code: [Select]
OOOII
OoIII
OoIII
OoIII
OOOII

Legend:
O = wall
D = mechanical door
d = dwarf-open door
_ = blank space; place to dig a channel
o = place to be filled with obsidian. May or may not be filled with ice at any time.
I = ice
B = Bridge (aligned vertically and raisable); should have a floor beneath them.

To operate:

Leave the right bridge down, keep the right doors and left bridge up. Open the right doors, and fill the area above the right bridge with lava (3/7 is best). Close those doors. Then let the left bridge down. The lava will spread out approximately evenly. This will melt the ice in the center of the bottom, letting water spread to the leftmost squares (as they will be empty after operation). Lava will then spread further, mixing with the ice and leaving obsidian at the bottom of the left. Close the middle bridge and right bridges to clear the lava, wait for the melted water to ice up again, and channel out the newly formed obsidian. Rinse, repeat.

This can be remade on a grand scale, which is my next project.
=Uncool-

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian farming on the glacier
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:49 am »

Obsidianize the whole glacier!

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:22:20 am »

Obsidianize the whole glacier!
Heh. Not the whole thing, or I'll run out of that ice that I need. But I do plan on using this to work on the aboveground fortress.

I also plan on using it to make sure that I don't have to care about non-magma-safe stuff ever again.
=Uncool-

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:43:49 pm »

As a note: if you ever happen to get excess lava on top of the obsidian, do not channel; that will cause annoying problems.
=Uncool-

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:42 am »

Hrm. I'm trying to find a way to automate this a little more. My first thought is pressure plates that close the door when they feel more than 3/7 magma on them, but then that means that you can't clean the right area quickly. It also has problems with reopening the door once the bridge is opened. Any ideas?
=Uncool-

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:42 am »

There's an edit button, you know.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:17:30 am »

Heh. Didn't realize that was an edit button; thought time had run out, as it does on most fora I frequent.

ETA:

It turns out that the right bridge is unnecessary; all that needs to be there is floor. Still out of ideas for how to clear magma on the obsidian squares without using pumps.
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:31:45 am by uncool »