Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magic Story Idea Thing  (Read 2934 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Magic Story Idea Thing
« on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:36 pm »

So for some reason, despite working on four different stories at once, one of which is an RP and another a future forum game, I just can't stop coming up with new ideas. And today's new idea is a world with personality-based magic - the different traits of your personality determine which type of magic you're likely to find easiest to use. The twelve branches of magic I have so far, along with some sample traits, are:
  • Fire (impulsive, volatile)
  • Water (calm, laid-back)
  • Earth (stoic, stubborn, firm/harsh)
  • Air (impartial, distant)
  • Lightning (erratic, excitable)
  • Ice (cold, unforgiving)
  • Force (oppressive, domineering, direct)
  • Storm (violent, loud, unpredictable)
  • Nature (duality - wild/peaceful, destructive/benevolent)
  • Light (nurturing, positive)
  • Shadow (cool, opportunistic)
  • Space (distant, empty, cold)
Personality disorders would effect magical ability in unpredictable ways, and among people with MPD nature magic would be common, as well as one or more other types of magic, depending on the extent of the MPD. It would be entirely possible to use most magic other than your natural magic, though much more difficult, but magic that directly clashes with any given mage's personality would be unusable to that mage (e.g. a Lightning mage would most likely be incapable of using Water magic, but might be able to pick up Fire magic without much difficulty).

Once again, I have no use for this idea as yet, so if you want to use it, go right ahead.
くコ:彡

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Story Idea Thing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:52:36 pm »

I'm a space/water wizard!  Woo!

Sounds kind of fun.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:02:54 am »

It has some merit though it seems to lack some of the more put together ideas of what each element represents.

As well not only do some of your elements use the same traits but they often seem to add things that are more appropriate for modernised viewpoints... For example Lightning being Erratic and excitable comes from "static electricity".

In fact, double traits simply speaking could work, allowing characters to exibit talents in more then one area.

The largest problem is that for the most part that you often railroad people into these roles and create one dimensional characters.

That and I have no idea where you got Dual natured for Nature. Though the truth is that the vast majority of people are dual natured simply because you cannot define people so simply. People have always refered to people as "wearing a mask" though the truth is that the mask is a part of them as well. As well it comes from the idea that certain things are contractory opposites.

Which come to think of it is probably how you got nature... Bears look peaceful until they strike.

Ultimately just attributing personality to magic doesn't seem to be enough. You have to explain what it means.

Light, AKA the Sun, can be the warm to the fire's hot... OR it could be an almighty force. It could even represent goodness. Ultimately what IS magic?

As for Shadow, you may want to look at how Rats are described in the Chinease Zodiac.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 04:48:29 am »

Like I said, this was just a one-off thing. I don't intend to do anything with it or work on it any further - I just posted it here for somebody to find and use/rework/tear to pieces and rebuild from the ground up.
くコ:彡

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:45 pm »

This could really work...

Provided it's in a reasonably unique fantasy universe. This wouldn't work in another rip-off of Lord Of The Rings Fantasy video game, nor a rip-off of mythology that has been built over centuries Mythological Styled Fantasy game. I think you would need a bit of creativity to form the world affected by personality based powers.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:06:16 am »

Looks pretty good to me, though I agree people should get two elements.

I'd be Light/Water.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.