Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Iron Seed  (Read 16349 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Iron Seed
« on: June 20, 2011, 04:07:01 am »

For years, literally years, I have been trying to figure out Iron Seed. The game appeals to me for some reason. I even worked on part of the Wikipedia page on it five or six years ago.

The thing is, I can't understand what the fuck is actually going on. Can somebody point me to documentation that describes the actual backstory for me? It seems like they just toss random words at you like 'Psiborg', and spend a lot of time implying that your crew is made up of computer program clones of real people, who might also have never had bodies but some of them did.

I wanted to ask at ironseed.com, but they cancelled forum registrations for some reason.

It's like it's a two decade long troll.

As if to emphasize the idea that this game makes no sense, typing in 'Psiborg Iron Seed' in Google gets one page of hits, this five minute old post being at the top.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:11:46 am by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Seed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:49:12 am »

This reminds me of two words that I have in the back of my mind. I've had them there since I was a kid, but I was NEVER able to figure out what the hell they were from. Ballistic Barrage.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »

They're not computer programs. They're a biomass sort of thing. Space travel takes so long in Iron Seed, that people give up their bodies and their being becomes a goo in a vat tube and they interact through a computer simulation. The problem with that is when you live for a thousand years as what is essentially jello, people become extremely nuts. So you have to manage the psychological aspects of your crew, which can be altered with the proper chemical substances and stimulus.

Moving between stars requires your vessel to travel at speeds near the speed of
             light.  Unfortunately, the amount of force necessary to drive a ship at those
             speeds grows exponentially the closer one gets to light speed.  In order to cut
             down on fuel consumption any unnecessary mass was left behind.  This
             'unnecessary' mass included the quarter of a million bodies that made up the
             rebellion.

Not to worry.  The marvels of modern science have made a fine art of
             personality containment.  Before the bodies of your crew were disposed of, the
             magnetic signature of their brains were copied, or encoded, into the ship's
             computer. This has several interesting side effects.  First of all, it is
             possible to make adjustments to a person's psychological attributes.  Multiple
             copies of an 'encode' may also be made.

The transparent container on the left side of the screen contains the physical
             manifest of an encode.  When psychological containment was in its infancy it
             was discovered that for a soul to have permanence it had to have a physical
             focus.  After hundreds of years of trial and error it a very specific chemical
             bath was found to contain the proper staying materials to keep a soul viable.
             The material itself is called Ego Synth, while the chamber into which it is
             placed is termed the Psychotropic Enhancement Chamber.

A personality is defined by its biorhythms, the three primary attributes by
             which any personality encode may be described.  These are mental prowess,
             physical viability, and emotional strength.  Selecting evaluate will allow you
             to see an encode's biorhythmic graph.  The tick marks to the right of the graph
             show the mental, physical, and emotional ratings for that encode.  The higher
             the mental rating, the greater that person's Skill; The higher the physical
             rating, the quicker that person's Performance; The higher the emotional rating,
             the greater that person's sanity.  While these aren't equal, they are directly
             related.  The combination of these values determine the resulting color of the
             egosynth.

Accessing the Encode function near the top left of this screen will bring up
             the menu for encoding a crew member.  For each crew member there exists a
             backup chip to which that crew member may be saved.  At times it may be
             necessary to restore an encode.  The continual psychological drain of having no
             physical body combined with the rigors of ship duties will erode an encode.  In
             order to restore a person's sanity it may become necessary to restore that
             person's encode (hopefully you will have saved the encode at a point at which
             they were sane.)  The draw back of re-encoding a personality is that you will
             lose any experience they may have gained between saves.  The other option is to
             have engineering continually manufacture Mind Enhancers.  While Mind Enhancers
             will raise their lowest attribute they are expensive to manufacture and will
             eventually run your cargo dry.  Obviously there is quick solution.  You must
             maintain a balance between these two.  Encode when the crew is doing well and
             be sure to manufacture Mind Enhancers when you have spare components.

As you can see, the story itself is contradictory. At one point it states they are copies/encodes which would mean your actual self is dead and what you have is a simulation of what once was yourself. At the other point it states a soul, which would imply your real consciousness is there as in, you're not dead, you're unique, and you really are the jello next to the computer. What I can assume is that if you really are alive as yourself in the jello, the encode means your personality state at a given time, as in, you'd have memories from other encodes and you can only have one encode running. So for example, if you're panicking and going nuts, you can revert to an encode that was calm and you'd be like "Oh, why was I panicking like that? Bleh, no reason." and the process of going nuts start over again. Which is kind of what happens in the game. One of your crew members start losing it, you just revert their encode and they're fine again. The contradiction is that they lose experience, so it would imply people are actually dead and those are just programs that behave like people.

Kind of hard to tell for sure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:10:20 pm by Soulwynd »

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:50:49 pm »

I wrote an old strategy guide a long time ago at http://ironseed.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=671

The game itself is inconsistent about what it is really about - is it a hard sci-fi struggle for survival, where you wait thousands of years just to farm the materials to get your ship in working order? Is it typical alliance-versus-evil-empire?

The way the dialogue & quest system worked didn't help much.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:57:17 pm »

This reminds me of two words that I have in the back of my mind. I've had them there since I was a kid, but I was NEVER able to figure out what the hell they were from. Ballistic Barrage.

I fixated on the shock rifle in Unreal Tournament until the word "RIFLES!" is occasionally mentally invoked with the sort of melodramatic voice of an officer calling for bayonets. I have no fucking idea why this is an internal meme to me and it struck me while vaccuuming the floor ten minutes ago. I'd try using some sort of counter-meme but that might turn into escalation. Fortunately its been toning down since my more daydreamy youth.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »

I am bumping this because this game has become suddenly relevant as I stumbled upon it in another topic recently posted. Grakelin is right; I feel like I'm being trolled, I can't find ANYTHING out about this game, in fact, the above post about the Egosynth stuff is the most I've been able to find >:[

I officially turn this into Iron Seed knowledge topic.

http://www.ironseed.com/

For anyone willing to try out this obnoxiously difficult game.

I'm getting it down pretty well until
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and if you google 'Ironseed x' it's going to lead you to here. I feel like we owe Googlers a favor to give some sort of a goddamn semblance of what this game is about.

I'm still trying my damnedest to figure out the 'topic' conversation system..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:19:24 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:35:04 pm »

I tried this a little today, and dayum, all my guys went insane and started getting "brain errors" :\

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

I tried this a little today, and dayum, all my guys went insane and started getting "brain errors" :\

Make sure you read the descriptions of the characters you pick, and check their 'wavelength' pattern thingy. Usually the characters who don't get described as having lost their mind completely before [or during] storage are the best bets. Wavelengths where the pattern is consistent means their mind is more stable, and bigger variance means the character is better, or something. It's pretty opaque.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 05:25:37 pm »

Well, it doesn't seem to like 64-bit Windows 7 at all, so I guess I can't even attempt to play it. :(
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »

It definitely needs to go through Dosbox!

Is there any way to avoid people going crazy though? And when they do, what can you do to fix it? They just slowly seem to go down the drain. I had 3 of them CONSTANTLY giving me error messages, which made playing the game real hard... :(

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 06:33:01 pm »

Well, it doesn't seem to like 64-bit Windows 7 at all, so I guess I can't even attempt to play it. :(

Grab D-Fend Reloaded, it's DosBox but with a GUI - makes it insanely simple to use as you just file all your downloaded adandonware .RAR/.ZIP files somewhere and point D-Fend in their direction. You then just click and play, using the GUI as your library.

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

It's pretty freaking awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 06:54:30 pm »

Is there any way to avoid people going crazy though? And when they do, what can you do to fix it? They just slowly seem to go down the drain. I had 3 of them CONSTANTLY giving me error messages, which made playing the game real hard... :(

There's the 'Psy Eval' button in the Psychometry panel. [Top Left-Most, then the button which is a Brain-with-stem] In that panel you can cycle through your crew and see their 'stats'. Basically, if the bottom bar is too low, they've got low mental willpower. Pump that up on every single one which isn't already, the loss of skill/performance is minimal compared to losing the sanity, and I find higher sanity levels increase experience gains. There is the 'encode' button on the top left of this menu, which allows you to save the member in their current state.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If your crew member goes crazy you can reload their encode in the Medical part of the command cube, on the bottom right.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 07:23:22 pm »

Yeah, my guys just went absolutely crazy and all of those stats were reduced to 0... I did have them permanently on research mode, if that makes a difference?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 09:09:14 pm »

Downloaded and took a peek, going to give it my attention soon xD
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »

Yeah, my guys just went absolutely crazy and all of those stats were reduced to 0... I did have them permanently on research mode, if that makes a difference?

Research is stressful but always researching is possible with the strength of some characters. I'll pull up my list of preferred crew [after going through a bunch]:
Spoiler: SPOILER (click to show/hide)

I wish this game had an easier way to figure out topics of discussion. It's very obtuse trying to figure out how to interact with a species if they won't give you any key words..

Also, I feel like that gray column in Psy Eval has something to do with their overall happiness, but then there's that red bar on the top right which also indicates something.. It's all very difficult to figure out, heh.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4