Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34

Author Topic: Multiworld Madness II. (Discussion&Signups thread)  (Read 38370 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Multiworld Madness II. (Discussion&Signups thread)
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:13 am »

Roll To Dodge: Multiworld Madness II
------------------------------------
Note: This is the DISCUSSION and SIGNUPS thread. For actual game proceedings and updates, please check the GAME THREAD, but do not post in it unless you are a player.
------------------------------------

This an RTD set in my own, fictional, "Multiworlds" setting, started anew after the the original (link in my sig) has ground to a screeching halt. I'll still be working on that last update, don't worry.

Quote from: Rules of Madness
=== PROGRESSIVE ROLL RULES ===

For every Action a Player submits, the Game Master rolls a die to determine its outcome.
The number of sides on the die rolled is determined by the value of the skill or attribute assigned to performing said Action.
The outcomes are selected from a predetermined list, sorted by severity:
  • Epic Fail(EF): The intended result was not achieved, and the character suffers additional problems as a consequence.
  • Failure(F): The intended result was not achieved, but no further complications occur.
  • Partial Success(PS): The result is only partially achieved, with exact degree determined circumstantially by GM.
  • Success(S): The result is achieved, though the character may suffer unintended consequences.
  • Epic Success(ES): The result is achieved, and any consequences turn out positively for the character.
  • Overshot(OS): The result is nominally achieved, but the character suffers consequences from intentionally or unintentionally "overdoing" the action.

The table of outcomes is determined thus:
(Die Value):[Roll Value]-Outcome;

(D1):[1]-Epic Fail.
(D2):[1]-EF;[2]-Fail.
(D3):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-Partial Success.
(D4):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-Success.
(D5):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Overshot.
(D6):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4]-S;[5]-Epic Success;[6]-OS.

Above (D6), the outcome table is expanded by padding Success outcomes inbetween Partial and Epic Successes.
Thus, for instance, a roll of (D10) will look like this:

(D10):[1]-EF;[2]-F;[3]-PS;[4-8]-S;[9]-ES;[10]-OS.

As a rule of thumb, the severity of the overshots and epic fails will depend on the value of the die being rolled - so getting a [5] out of a (D5) is a much milder overshot than a [10] out of a (D10)

===========

=== ATTRIBUTES, SKILLS, ABILITIES ===

Attributes are generic "stats" of a character. Any action not requiring a particular skill or ability will use the corresponding Attribute value as the base die value. The base value for any Attribute is dependent on the selected Race.

Skills and Abilities are used whenever an action is not feasible without some manner of previous specialized training. Something a character can't do simply by being strong, smart, good-looking, or running really fast. Skills are used as the base value for things a character can technically do, but never did before - driving a car, firing a sniper rifle, swimming, etc. Abilities, on the other hand, are something character is physically unable to do without knowing HOW to or being physically modified. Flying, hurling fireballs, seeing in the dark, and so on. The base value for Skills is [3], and the base value for Abilities is [1] - thus demonstrating the difference between the words "unskilled" and "unable".

Sometimes, instead of providing a value of their own, skills or abilities will serve to modify other skills, abilities, or attributes, in certain circumstances. These skills, called "Passive" in contrast to the "Active" skills above, can still be trained by exposing the character to such circumstances, thus increasing the effect of the skills on whatever they affect.

=== SALVAGING AND COLLATERAL ROLLS ===

In specific cases, if a character fails a check on the primary roll - be it an ability, skill, or attribute - the GM may decide that the situation allows a "Salvage Roll". This roll uses a different, but relevant skill/attribute to somehow positively affect the otherwise negative outcome of the original action, and "salvage" the failure somehow. Overshots may warrant a similar roll if the situation allows it.

If a Salvage Roll is failed, or is not made, the GM may use a Collateral Roll to determine the severity of failure, be it an Epic Fail or an Overshot. This roll always uses the character's Luck stat.

-----------

Multiworld Madness II will allow you to pick one of the three(five) races for your character to play as.

Spoiler: The Races (picture) (click to show/hide)

The races are the adaptable Humans, the intelligent Dolean, and the felinoid Mii'Ari. The race of Mii'Ari is represented with its three distinct subspecies: the average Ayari, the large Immari, and the small and nimble Ellari.

Human: Start with all attributes at 5, allocate 6 positive and 2 negative points.

Dolean: STR, AGI, DEX, TOU, END = 4. CHA = 5. PER, INT, WIS = 8. Allocate 2 positive and 2 negative points. Start with Psi affinity.

Ayari: STR, DEX, TOU, END, CHA, INT, WIS = 5. AGI, PER = 7. Allocate 2 positive and 2 negative points.

Immari: DEX = 4. AGI, CHA, INT, WIS = 5. STR, END = 6. TOU, PER = 7. Allocate 2 positive and 2 negative points. Start with bonuses and penalties appropriate to size.

Ellari: STR, END = 4. TOU, CHA, INT, WIS = 5. DEX = 6. AGI, PER = 7. Allocate 2 positive and 2 negative points. Start with bonuses and penalties appropriate to size.

Ayari, Immari, and Ellari all have these extra abilities in common:
- Low-light vision
- Slightly quicker regeneration
- Short (2'' for an Ayari) bone claws concealed inside the wrists, unsheathed between the fingers.
- Ability to survive without oxygen for up to an half an hour.
- Ability to delay death by bleed-out or suffocation, by shutting the brain down and keeping it functional for up to an hour.

-----------

Here is the entry form.

------

>Character Name<
---
Brief description of character's appearance, including race. Don't bother with clothing.
---
Attributes:
STR:
AGI:
DEX:
TOU:
END:
PER:
CHA:
INT:
WIS:
(insert values appropriate to your race choice and point distribution)
Spoiler: Notes on appearance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Note on attributes (click to show/hide)

========================
Current players:

• Zako
  • dermonster
  • Frelock
  • Jay Kayell
  • Kashyyk

========================
Waiting list:

wolfchild
Talarion
SeriousConcentrate
choobakka
Taricus
scriver
Riccto
Root Infinity
Gatleos
CrimsonEon
Tehstefan
mcclay
Person
Powder Miner
FuzzyZergling
Zebrian
Tinithraviel
Sinpwn
Draignean
Darvi
KineseN
Ahra
Baradine
Child of Armok
Tiruin
Ochita
Xantalos
Aklyon
Greenstarfanatic
TCM
Flying Dice
Someone1214
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 03:54:41 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Multiworld Madness II. Not starting yet.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:42 am »

Eh, sure why not. I'll put my character up tomorrow, if that's okay with you. It's late and I'm using my iPod... Not optimal conditions for providing a character sheet.

Edit: Oh right! Happy birthday. Was going to say it, but forgot. Serious' post reminded me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:18:58 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:27 am »

Happy birthday. ^^ Would you mind if I jumped on the waitlist? (Even if there weren't reservations, I'd prefer the waitlist since I'm not very familiar with Multiworld Madness and I'd like to see it progress a bit.)

Isaac LeVahnt
-----
A gaunt-faced, lean man, LeVahnt has the look of a melancholy skeleton that someone went ahead and decided to throw some skin on. His narrow left eye (his right one was lost in a particularly vicious but ultimately repelled pirate raid some thirteen years ago) is cold and calculating, and he generally wears an expression of faint disapproval. A smile from him is a rare thing and seems to be a sign of great favor. His hair, oddly enough, is somewhat shaggy and thick, and hangs low enough for his bangs to cover his right eye most of the time.
-----
Attributes:
Endurance and Toughness at 7.
Charisma at 3.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:32 am »

I'd like to get on a wait list if possible. And congratulations on surviving another revolution around the sun.

Simon Von Fried

Simon is a man in his mid-30s, with short brown hair and blue-green eyes. He is slightly overweight, but that is because he tends to devote more time to studying than exercise. His hair is often messy and occasionally unwashed, and he has dark circles under his bloodshot eyes, both from spending more time studying (at his computer or in books, depending on the time period you would prefer our characters come from - computer if you have no preference) in a badly-lit room than is healthy. He is a few inches under six feet tall.

Intelligence and Perception at seven.
Agility at three.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:21:12 pm by choobakka »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:20 am »

Jake Marshall
-----
A hard looking man, but he has a spark of intelligence in his eye. Lightly tanned skin, short cropped dark brown hair, sky blue eyes, a square jaw and a small amount of sharp stubble.
-----
Attributes:
Toughness: 7
Intelligence: 7
Dexterity: 3

I'm looking forward to this. It has the feel like you have everything figured out and you are just waiting to unleash hell on us. Can't wait!  ;D

Also, happy b-day! You may be older than before, but just like a fine wine, you get better with age.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:56 am »

Reserved just in case.
Derek Coonan
----
A fairly average man at the age of 20, Derek has blond hair in a disorganized mess and very striking green eyes along with light skin. A favor of ranged combat, he is always ready to run, but has extensively sharp aim.
----
Agility: 7
Dexterity: 7
Wisdom: 3
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:58:45 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:59 am »

Waitlist me please.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

Actually, I think I'll just post to watch.  First one was fun, though!

Whatever happened to the other Multiworld 2?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:43:10 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 10:47:28 am »

Waitlist me as well, please. Do you want a character now or would it be better if I created one when/if I get in?
Love, scriver~

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24:13 am »

Henry Brailsford

A stocky young man with tanned skin and tightly curled hair that matches it
Strength and Intellegence at 7
Endurance at 3
Raggle Fraggle

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:20:23 pm »

What do the other attributes start at. Because I'd like to know if 3 is lower or higher than average.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »

William Davis
-----
A stereotypical geek. He knows many things, and knows them well, but cannot for the life of him explain them to other people. (It might come from his tendency to always correct other people if they are wrong...)
-----
Attributes:
  • Intelligence 7
  • Wisdom 7
  • Charisma 3
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:39 pm »

I believe I'm already somewhere deep within the waiting list, so...

Gatty Roberts
-----
A young, smug-looking man with slick black hair and vibrant green eyes. Trustworthy to his friends, ruthless and manipulative toward everyone else.
-----
Attributes:
Agility: 7
Charisma: 7
Wisdom: 3
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

CrimsonEon

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that Blood Thine or the Enemy's?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

I'd like a waitlist spot too; Consider this among my first posts on an RTD after almost an eternity of lurking.

Also repeating scriver's question; do you need a character now or upon entry?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »

First, Happy Birthday, Sean!  Good to see this starting.  I'll be interested to see how the new system works in practice.  Let the fun times continue!  Out of curiosity, Sean, will there be a number of NPC's like Elica and the dwarf who's name I can't recall?

Fredrick "Fre" Barbarossa
----
A man of taller height (close to 2m) and finely built muscles, Fre is a man who's features shout of a noble bearing.  His brow is tall, his chin broad, and his lengthy hair golden in the sunlight.  He has a way with words and tries to be a champion who can lead his companions into battle for honor and glory.
---
Strength: 7
Charisma: 7
Agility: 3
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 34