Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: WHAT  (Read 20671 times)

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WHAT
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »

My fisherdwarf got interrupted in the middle of fishing in the river.

By.

A.

Fucking.

Carp.

In.

The.

River.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »

You're new here, aren't you?
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:38:22 pm »

Yes, I am. And it did NOT mean that he was about to catch it, because he ran off like a little girl into the fortress.

EDIT: Wait, no, that was the other fisher. So that DOES mean he's about to catch it?

K7avenger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:59 pm »

You have yet to experience the true stupidity of your dwarves. This is probably a road best not traveled. Don't say you weren't warned.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »

Fisherdwarves catch vermin fish.
All civilian (even siege operators) are afraid of large creatures (non-vermin).
you're lucky he didn't dodge into the river and drowned.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:53 pm »

Welcome to the hell known as Carp.  Just wait till you meet Giant Badgers...   :P
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

kilozombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:42:24 pm »

I...

I'm scared.

I'm hopeful this is the extent of my dwarves' idiocy. For now.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

I...

I'm scared.

I'm hopeful this is the extent of my dwarves' idiocy. For now.
Oh, the idiocy has just begun.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:43:31 pm »

It used to be, a few versions back, that dwarves that strayed too close to a river, even just in passing, could get mauled to death by carp.  Carp have had their damage turned down since then, but they can still get aggressive.

See "Carp of Yore", here:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Carp
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »

Welcome to DF, it all have just begun. It will get worse. Much worse.  :D

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 12:48:07 pm »

Take our word for it when we say "mauled". Carps were essentially water-bound bears with fins.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:55:51 pm »

I thought most of the danger came from dodging into water and drowning, not actual combat.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:20 pm »

As Dutchling mentioned, civilian dwarves will run away from anything they can see that seems dangerous. Military dwarves lose all fear and will not hesitate to single-handedly charge a phalanx of crazed war trolls if such are your orders. Dwarves tend to extremes...

If your fisherman keep being scared away by the big fish, create a fishing pool connected to the river through vertical bars or a grate. The grate will not impede the passage of catchable fish, but will keep out the big scary carp. You can then designate that pool as a preferred fishing spot through the Zones menu (i).

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:16 pm »

I thought most of the danger came from dodging into water and drowning, not actual combat.

I had a fisherdwarf who lost a hand to one if I recall. But yeah, drowning as the big killer. But dodging into the water is kind of glitchy, so I justify that as being him getting pulled in.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 01:07:30 pm »

Couldn't the carp also bite on and pull them in? Maybe not. I know that the bite was a huge issue, though.

Were the carp raws changed, or was in-game information somewhat related to them changed, resulting in their lessened danger? If it's the raws, I'm considering adding them back...

Carp were a huge problem in 40d. My first time playing, I embarked "play now" and didn't understand what happened to my fisherdwarf. All too late, I found out about the carp.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4