Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I found a mountain  (Read 2401 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: I found a mountain
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

You want to know what to do?

Dig a winding tunnel from bottom to top, carving fortifications here and there that allow marksdwaves to fire at invaders. A last-ditch trap should seal off the marksdwarf fortifications and flood the tunnel with magma. Remove ramps that lead to the top, and build a massive platform over the plains, carving a hole into the mountainside to make the plain larger if necessary. Include a magma pit for garbage disposal, forges, furnaces, and a sub-orbital magma dropper, and also a well weaving down to the cavern's seas. Move your entire fort there.

The other ideas are fine too, I just prefer functional monuments to waste and inefficiency.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »

First Casualty

Apparently, Urist McBeavis decided to mine the ground out from under Urist McButthead's feet. Again. Only this time, it's going to be fatal.

Expect work times to be halved. They hadn't even dug through the first layer.

The other ideas are fine too, I just prefer functional monuments to waste and inefficiency.
That's the human approach. This is a dwarven wonder of nature. We're not just raping the land, we're crushing it into nothing. NOTHING, where there was a mountain.

I may have to atom-smash every rock now. Just for emphasis.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:40:39 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where we dig out and completely annihilate mountains, just because we can.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:59 am »

build a fort ON top of the crater, then poke holes in the sides of the cinder cone, and flood the map with magma, leaving your fort safe-oh and make sure to leave a safe way to dig down deeper, should you want.

note to self:this is what every volcano embark should strive to do eventually.

squeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 08:21:38 am »

love  this site, and i'm inclined to do what the poster above said, flood the place with magma!

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:21 am »

Make Gondor, and then make it spill MAGMA.
:3
Pages: 1 [2]