Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: WHAT  (Read 20677 times)

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:53 am »

My fisherdwarf got interrupted in the middle of fishing in the river.

By.

A.

Fucking.

Carp.

In.

The.

River.
Hello, welcome to Hell.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 02:45:31 am »

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:24 am »

Couldn't the carp also bite on and pull them in? Maybe not. I know that the bite was a huge issue, though.

Were the carp raws changed, or was in-game information somewhat related to them changed, resulting in their lessened danger? If it's the raws, I'm considering adding them back...

The attack variation has changed, but you could still modify the raw to make them just as dangerous...

Carp Raw:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Part You're Looking At:

Suggested Change:

If you really want a challenge...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:17:22 am by MrFluffums »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 05:37:16 am »

Wait, ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC can go beyond 100 and still function?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:06 am »

Amazed than no one has mention the undead carp already...that can walk on land and were the cause of many really-shortlived fortresses  :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 11:48:36 am »

I thought most of the danger came from dodging into water and drowning, not actual combat.

No.  I had a fortress in 40d that was right next to a carp (and longnose gar) infested river.  Dwarves who fell/dodged/got pulled into the river generally ended up litteraly in pieces (multiple limbs and chucks torn off) before they either drowned or were killed outright.  I lost many dwarves that way.  Until I drained the river.

As Dutchling mentioned, civilian dwarves will run away from anything they can see that seems dangerous. Military dwarves lose all fear and will not hesitate to single-handedly charge a phalanx of crazed war trolls if such are your orders. Dwarves tend to extremes...

Fixed for you.

In my current fortress, I had an ettin turn up.  I restricted the civilians to the "indoors" burrow, and stationed my military at the back of the main entrance corridor, behind my trap array.

Whereupon one (unarmed) recruit decided to run out of the fortress and out of the walled courtyard to pick up some equipment that apparently was lying on the ground near the ettin.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

Couldn't the carp also bite on and pull them in? Maybe not. I know that the bite was a huge issue, though.

Were the carp raws changed, or was in-game information somewhat related to them changed, resulting in their lessened danger? If it's the raws, I'm considering adding them back...

The attack variation has changed, but you could still modify the raw to make them just as dangerous...

Carp Raw:

Part You're Looking At:

Suggested Change:

I'm pretty sure they would be more dangerous by reducing the contact percentage. Lower it enough and they should be able to bite through armor.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 02:57:16 pm »

No.  I had a fortress in 40d that was right next to a carp (and longnose gar) infested river.  Dwarves who fell/dodged/got pulled into the river generally ended up litteraly in pieces (multiple limbs and chucks torn off) before they either drowned or were killed outright.  I lost many dwarves that way.  Until I drained the river.
I had a similar experience with one particular sturgeon back when I was still new to the game. I was smart enough to turn "forbid death items" on to keep casualties to a minimum, but we ran out of booze briefly so I couldn't keep people away from the brook completely, and I swear the damn thing was lurking in ambush. After the third casualty I got fed up with this nonsense and had a woodcutter wade into the brook, and the sturgeon Lulllegends The Chains Of Execution's reign of terror was finally ended.
Pity there were about thirty more of the blasted things on the map...
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

Carp Raw:

Part You're Looking At:

Suggested Change:

They'd be boring as heck to fight them. A speed of 50,000 means it would take 50,000 frames to move one tile or even attack at all, rendering them completely harmless. That's about 42 days right there if memory serves me right.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »

Meh, I figure it would be better to set them low than give them a speed of 0.  You can't completely uberbuff it.

I'm amazed none of you commented on the fact that with those tags, it breathes fire.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 12:26:11 pm »

Meh, I figure it would be better to set them low than give them a speed of 0.  You can't completely uberbuff it.

I'm amazed none of you commented on the fact that with those tags, it breathes fire.
Because it's irrelevant at speed 50000. It will never ever get a turn before it's killed unless the player is freakishly unlucky.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »

Ah carp...as someone above said, if you've got carp make sure to forbid death items in your standing orders menu. Back in 40d carp plus your dwarves obsessive desire to pick up every stray sock and pair of underpants in the hemisphere was typically the beginning of a lesson in chaos theory.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2011, 01:47:28 pm »

Why, would that be a notable problem?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:43 pm »

My carps all died after a wounded capybara puked into the river multiple times.  :o

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »

My carps all died after a wounded capybara puked into the river multiple times.  :o
Hey, all my dwarves died after a forgotten beast bled into the water cistern!

It was one of those weird syndromes you get where random organs start popping out and flying tiles away from their owner...

Anyone know what causes that?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4