Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: WHAT  (Read 20664 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WHAT
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:25 pm »

It's begun.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »

I'm hopeful this is the extent of my dwarves' idiocy. For now.
Och, not another one. Didn't you read the sigs when you came in?

Fear not, your dwarves have not yet begun to idiot.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:27 pm »

In the 40d days, we didn't have the full organ system for combat damage. A traditional HP system was used where a dwarf punch did 1~2 damage. Carp did 6 damage.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:22 pm »

My first fort had the entire river walled off due to carp related deaths. Later I dammed it to air-drown the lot of them as a fitting revenge.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:03 pm »

In the 40d days, we didn't have the full organ system for combat damage. A traditional HP system was used where a dwarf punch did 1~2 damage. Carp did 6 damage.
I seem to remember a basic organ system. They had skeletons and hearts and all that, although veins, nerves, a few minor organs and tissue layers weren't implemented.

It wasn't our new system but it sure as hell wasn't anything close to a "Traditional HP" system.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »

Back when carp were dangerous, this was due to the above listed reasons, and ALSO, due to carp gaining swimming skill from, well, swimming, and thus becoming only faster, stronger, and tougher as the game went on. This only enhanced the damage that carp did when they attacked. Carp often attacked instead of retreating when they spotted a fisherdwarf, if they thought they were cornered and had nowhere to retreat to. This AI bug/feature made closed murky pools full of carp especially lethal.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

Back when carp were dangerous, this was due to the above listed reasons, and ALSO, due to carp gaining swimming skill from, well, swimming, and thus becoming only faster, stronger, and tougher as the game went on. This only enhanced the damage that carp did when they attacked. Carp often attacked instead of retreating when they spotted a fisherdwarf, if they thought they were cornered and had nowhere to retreat to. This AI bug/feature made closed murky pools full of carp especially lethal.

It didn't help that hunters tried to run up and club them to death.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 03:02:38 pm »

Not all dwarves-civilians run from all wildlife. Some don't care. I even had a civvy who wasn't afraid of a tiger... Fortunately for him he was a quick runner, and the tiger wasn't. My dwarves regularly are interrupted by blue peafowl, but sometimes they ignore them even when they are two tiles away, and are not interrupted, only to be interrupted when the birds are ten tiles away, and dwarves aren't coming in their direction anyway. This scare-away thing is not consistent to me.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »

Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly. Some toddlers cry when someone makes a sudden movement, let alone when a giant badger runs at them.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »

Not all dwarves-civilians run from all wildlife. Some don't care. I even had a civvy who wasn't afraid of a tiger... Fortunately for him he was a quick runner, and the tiger wasn't. My dwarves regularly are interrupted by blue peafowl, but sometimes they ignore them even when they are two tiles away, and are not interrupted, only to be interrupted when the birds are ten tiles away, and dwarves aren't coming in their direction anyway. This scare-away thing is not consistent to me.
Huh. I wonder if the slow dwarves (... well you know what I mean) are the ones with no observation skill. Or maybe just low spatial skills. That or they're farsighted.

Nah they're probably just stupid like every other dorf.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:52 pm »

Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly. Some toddlers cry when someone makes a sudden movement, let alone when a giant badger runs at them.
I tend to keep enormous, ragey animals AWAY from the nursery.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

I thought most of the danger came from dodging into water and drowning, not actual combat.

I had a fisherdwarf who lost a hand to one if I recall. But yeah, drowning as the big killer. But dodging into the water is kind of glitchy, so I justify that as being him getting pulled in.

It seems that the carp tend to pull them into the water more often than not. I modded in magma carp and had them attack a dwarf on the edge of the magma pool (int he arena) and literally all that happened was that the carp 'leaped' out of the magma, grabbed the dwarf, and dragged him in. Dwarf 1 has melted.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 10:10:31 pm »

I thought most of the danger came from dodging into water and drowning, not actual combat.

I had a fisherdwarf who lost a hand to one if I recall. But yeah, drowning as the big killer. But dodging into the water is kind of glitchy, so I justify that as being him getting pulled in.

It seems that the carp tend to pull them into the water more often than not. I modded in magma carp and had them attack a dwarf on the edge of the magma pool (int he arena) and literally all that happened was that the carp 'leaped' out of the magma, grabbed the dwarf, and dragged him in. Dwarf 1 has melted.

Awesome.

Also, have you considered digging ramps next to the river? this way, your dwarves have a place nearby where they can climb out.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:38 pm »

It didn't help that hunters tried to run up and club them to death.
No, what didn't help was that after the hunter was ripped to shreds by the carp the rest of the fort would run out to gleefully claim his now ownerless socks ... and get ripped to shreds by the same carp, only now it had a name and was listed in the legends.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 10:25:51 pm »

Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Truly, this must be sigged.

As an elementary school teacher, I find myself in agreement with most statements that parallel small children and dwarves. Four words: real life tantrum spiral.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4