Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: American man robbed a bank for $1 so he could go to jail and get health care  (Read 30264 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no sympathy for this man. If he were to rob me of even a penny I would concentrate all the hate I have for the world on him and destroy him. I really did it once.

It is vindictive and childish to assume that the merest slight deserves extreme retribution and a total dehumanization of the perpetrator. Do you also slice off people's thumbs for nudging you in lines? Are you one of those kids who, if someone was late returning a videogame you lent them, called in the mob to shatter their kneecaps? I somehow doubt that.

This is either a very large run on sentence, or I'm an idiot. Probably both.

It's not the former, so I guess by your own admission it's the latter?

The thing about crime and poverty is that people at all economic strata tend to operate in their own self-interests (and, to some degree, the interests of their family and immediate social group, usually all within that same stratum). The reason why this doesn't result in middle/upper class people being criminals as much is because the system works for them more, and they have more (or at least different) opportunity to use or abuse it. Rich people can be selfish, destructive pricks without ever even having to break the law, for instance. Where a poor and destitute person might turn to street drugs to self-medicate, a middle-class housewife is off somewhere getting free samples of antidepressants from her physician via medical insurance. There are a lot of seriously bitter middle and upper class people who complain about the poor committing crimes or abusing the system, yet those same people will often do the same thing when it suits them, whether it's fudging their tax returns a bit, smoking weed, driving drunk, or any other stupid thing people do. Poor people commit crimes because they're more desperate, live in a condition where working within the system doesn't always work out so well, and have a greater proportion of opportunities that are criminal to begin with. People don't turn to heroin or armed robbery for shits and giggles, they do it because something, somewhere, went horribly wrong. And if something went wrong, what went wrong? It sure as hell isn't genetics, and you sure as hell can't blame people for their own upbringing or socioeconomic environment.

Basic point is, people do what they need to do. Often, they also do what's in their self-interest even when it's not necessary. I know some of us probably like to think we're "better" than how we see your average petty criminal, but I feel that most of us ("us" being people who aren't in poverty) are law-abiding not through some sense of altruistic social goodness and justice, but rather because we are in a station such that we have no particular need or even incentive to commit those kinds of crimes. I don't live in a social environment where I'm expected to carry a gun or have a gang allegiance in order to live, nor has that environment taught me that the world won't give me a chance of any upward mobility, nor is upward mobility from my socioeconomic state at birth even an issue for me, since I live comfortably. I can get medical treatment when necessary, I can get psychiatric drugs of damn near any description any time I want (go America!), and I don't have to worry about violence, gangs, poverty, or what I'm going to do for necessities.

It's easy to judge others, but considering how people of all socioeconomic strata behave, there's nothing all that transcendent about not being poor.

I'm not sure that I would qualify as a Narcissist, and I really do have a campaign bro. A campaign against crime.

If you have a campaign against crime, then eliminate the causes of crime. Proactive solutions are the only solutions. Obviously we still have to punish people, but that's reactive and even more obviously doesn't actually take care of the problem.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Cuppsworth has been banned for being a ban dodge account (the Urist is dead tome/hamburgerfan family).

(cleaned out trolling derail, left G-Flex's reply because it was too long to delete, have to respect the typing fingers)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:29:27 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

Cuppsworth has been banned for being a ban dodge account (the Urist is dead tome/hamburgerfan family).

(cleaned out trolling derail, left G-Flex's reply because it was too long to delete, have to respect the typing fingers)
It is a good reply, you have to admit. Shame if it was lost.

Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

I'm a bit sad I missed the drama. Drama and a good cup of coffee in the bed is the best way to start the day.
...Not really
Love, scriver~

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

UIDTome was banned? Wow, I really miss all the drama out here.

Anyway, he should've tried that shit in Norway.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Got my reply deleted in the storm but then the second half did quote him and post a semi-related but off-topic link. The video I linked to was of some brilliant satire but now I'll have to wait for an opportune moment to post it again.

It's already been mentioned but in the last place I lived it was quite common to hear of homeless people throwing a brick through a shop window, waiting for the police, and spending the colder months in prison. It's sad that they have nowhere else to turn. The story in the OP makes me glad for the NHS.

It is a good reply, you have to admit. Shame if it was lost.
Too true.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

All hail the Toady fingers, which bring us precious dorfs. DF development would be a lot slower if Tarn were to have to enter code by voice or blinking his eyes in binary code.

Also aying Toady fingers sound gross, like they should have warts and slime all over them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

That was  Urist is dead tome? I honestly did not see that coming. Ah well, back on topic.

Also aying Toady fingers sound gross, like they should have warts and slime all over them.
They do remind me of something of that nature.

Oh right, back on topic. Sorry.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I've heard a story of something similar happening here, someone went to a hotel, stayed for four days, lived like a king then refused to pay, waited for the police and spent the next three months in almost as good conditions in the city prison.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently, being unnecessarily long-winded has finally paid off! You all laughed at me, but I knew this day would come!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

I heard of a guy in the nineties who chained an ATM machine to his pick up truck, put on the parking brake, and hit the gas for fifteen minutes because he needed a dental plan, but I am unsure if it is true.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently, being unnecessarily long-winded has finally paid off! You all laughed at me, but I knew this day would come!

I am tempted to put this quote into my Signature.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Money mah dear boy.

Then stop going to war and fix yo shit before you go back to play in the sand box.

I think you could afford it if you stopped trying to play super hero.

It's called Pork-barrel-politics and the good-ole-boy system, chum.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/07/f22_oped.html

Even when it's obvious how to save money, it sometimes doesn't happen, for a lot of interrelated reasons.

What the US needs to do is make it completely illegal for corporations to donate any money at all for any reason to any political entity, and additionally make lobbying illegal.  If you want to be a successful business do it by providing a superior product that people want, and treating both your employees and your stockholders well.

Until this happens and is enforced, big companies will corrupt the governmental process even more than politicians by themselves would normally manage to do.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 04:04:45 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile

No offense meant but America does seem to go fairly easy on the whole legalized corruption thing, stacking prisons for cash, cash political donations, health insurance and any sort of political lobbying really.

so.... yeah, WTF?!  leader of the free world?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

so.... yeah, WTF?!  leader of the free world?
What? Oh come on, give me a break, I'm busy fixing Cambodia. I'll get to the US later, after I solve world hunger.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2009/07/f22_oped.html

Is this site to be trusted to not be full of hippy bias. Not that I don't like hippies, just the bias part.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15