Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Mode Compatibility  (Read 2508 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Fortress Mode Compatibility
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:36:55 pm »

What am I talking about? Fortress Mode compatibility is a term I just made up to describe the ability of a civ to be played in fortress mode, if you add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag. For instance, can you create a military/militia/group of non-scaredy-cat citizens? Can you get food? Can you run most major industries of that race?
In vanilla, the only FMC race is the dwarven race; other races lack vital nobles and/or jobs, so modding them to be controllable would not work very well. No wood for elves, no military for goblins, and so forth.
The idea here is to make all vanilla races mostly or completely Fortress Mode Compatible. Kobold Camp has done so for kobolds; has any mod made goblins, humans, or elves (mostly, in the last case) fortress mode compatible?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Mode Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »

Well it's mostly just a bunch of tag copy paste, throw in the tags to allow traps, (or at minimum the corkscrew for screw pumps), some workshops and reactions, and just copy the dwarf nobles and it should be pretty darn close to dwarf dwarf mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That should give you a human entity for example that can do just about everything dwarves can do, just with a bit of humie flavor.  No underground farming only aboveground, embark with surface plants and leathers instead of underground ones, stuff like that. 

P.S. Completely untested I may have missed something small. See disclaimer in signature and also apply to humans.

Anyway I imagine there are some mods out there that do that already, but I would be surprised if there are any that do only that.  It would just seem...too easy.  Maybe for a first time modder's first mod.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:57:44 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:17 am »

It's not too hard. I've played a fortress of sentient polar bears. I had to give them hands and think up an entire civilization for them, but it eventually worked. ;)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:39 am »

It's not too hard. I've played a fortress of sentient polar bears. I had to give them hands and think up an entire civilization for them, but it eventually worked. ;)
...Why?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alloran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

...Why?

From my experience with this game and lurking on these forums for quite a while, I'd say that's a silly question. ;)
"Because I can" seems to be the default answer.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:44 pm »

Never ask "Why?" on the Modding forum. Ask "Why not?". ;)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:49 pm »

Never ask "Why?" on the Modding forum. Ask "Why not?". ;)
Why not? One word: Thumbs.
Sig