Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to build a Dodge Me! trap?  (Read 6891 times)

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
How to build a Dodge Me! trap?
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:58 am »

Yep I want to know how to build one they seem useful and all purpose, the problem being if I order the dwarfs to channel they get stuck and outside of that i dont know how to build said trap. A link or quick run down would me most appreciated. :)
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a Dodge Me! trap?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:41:35 am »

For a channel, you must have some way out of the channel. In general, if you just designate the topmost level for channeling, let it finish, then repeat until you're at the bottom of where you want to be, your pit will work fine without any injuries, and then you just have to dig an exit. It's possible to make a deep pit with no way out, but needlessly difficult and aesthetically unpleasing.

As far as the trap itself, it's basically just a 1-tile-wide pathway next to a pit. The pathway has weapon or upright spike traps on it. That's it; that's the whole thing. The traps just attack enemies and the enemies dodge, usually off into open air, where they fall, hopefully to their deaths.

Personally, I find them somewhat pointless; it seems like no enemies but weapon lords actually dodge traps consistently, and they usually either aren't dangerous enough alone or run away once their squad gets diced. Just having the weapon traps does just as much as having the weapon traps next to a pit.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Xaft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:37 am »

never actually made one before but the way i picture it is a 3 tile wide corridor, with the 2 side tiles channeled out and the middle tiles lined with traps. and the channeled out spots need to be a good amount of z-levels deep and if you plan to kill everything that falls in, load the "pits with upright spear traps with some good training spears. and to do that your going to have to dig out a way to get to the bottom of the pits with your miners, but once all the spears are loaded, you can wall it off, unless you want to access the dead bodys for loot, in which case build a door and forbid it until you need to collect the equipment.

at least, that's how i picture it in my head, and is probably how ill do it

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:08:34 am »

As described before:

left: evil outside world
right: nice inner fortress

Z+0:
Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWWWWWW
<FTTTTTTTTTT
WWWWWWWWWWWW

Z-1 to Z-n:
WWWWWWWWWWWW
WW..........
xF..........
WW..........
WWWWWWWWWWWW

Z-bottom:
WWWWWWWWWWWW
WWSSSSSSSSSS
<FSSSSSSSSSS
WWSSSSSSSSSS
WWWWWWWWWWWW

> / < / x - stairs
W - wall
. - open Space
T - weapon trap
S - upright spear trap
F - floor

This thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87040.0

Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:10 pm »

Thanks for the help, and this trap is mainly just so i can watch goblins elves fall to their deaths
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 02:09:34 pm »

For added Dwarfiness, add upright spikes in the deployed state (b -> T -> S) to the bottom of the pit. Make sure the pit is more than one Z-level deep or the spikes won't do any damage.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »

Here's the really simple dodge-me-ish trap I built for the entrance to my fort:

First, the surface.  Note the zig-zag 1-tile walkway with the traps on it.  The primary purpose of this trap/entrance is to keep the invaders in front of my marksdwarves (in the tower on the left, behind the fortifications) for as long as possible.  I also recently installed an "emergency storm shutter" using a retracting draw bridge in front of the fortifications in case Elite Goblin Crossbowmen show up and start decimating my marksdwarves.  That also gives the civilians a chance to run upstairs and carry away any injured marksdwarves, and usually causes the marksdwarves to run and reload their ammo since they can no longer see any targets.

Then, down a z-level.  It's only one z-level deep so dodging doesn't actually kill anything, but the goblins then have to go back to the beginning and through the traps again, being turned to pincushions by my marksdwarves the whole time.

--nomad_delta

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:59:55 pm by nomad_delta »

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:53:15 pm »

I llike the design for your trap but what happens if a troll gets knocked down into the pit?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:56:18 pm »

I llike the design for your trap but what happens if a troll gets knocked down into the pit?
It goes up the ramp and has another go, like any other non-flier, I would imagine.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:13 pm »

Trolls can't knock down constructed walls or floors (and neither can anything else) if that is what you are worried about.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »

It goes up the ramp and has another go, like any other non-flier, I would imagine.

Exactly.  There's no doors or anything in the pit for a troll or other building-destroyer to smash, so they just walk back up the ramp (the single yellow one on the right-hand side) and have to try going through the traps again.

That said, I haven't had any fliers show up yet, and this setup won't be at all effective against them if/when they do since they'll just fly right over the traps.  That's kinda why I dropped that line of cage traps in the final tunnel to catch anything that manages to get past all the dodge-me weapon traps.

If anything gets past those it's up to my military to mop up.  :P

--nomad_delta

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 04:30:31 pm »

Personally, I find them somewhat pointless; it seems like no enemies but weapon lords actually dodge traps consistently, and they usually either aren't dangerous enough alone or run away once their squad gets diced. Just having the weapon traps does just as much as having the weapon traps next to a pit.

Dodge traps have some advantages.  They'll never jam as long as the weapons in them are too poor to actually kill anything, make cleanup much easier (if the fall leads into a magma chamber, for example).  They're also good for training recruits; a nonfatal 3-4 z-level fall will leave enemies crippled, stunned, and disorganized for your dwarves to then descend upon.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 05:53:00 pm »

I Like to build dodge-me into magma traps.  Sometimes straight into the volcano, sometimes with the intent of getting goblinite.

MrFluffums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 12:35:40 pm »

I usually just make a dodgefall into a cavern, and make them fight their way out.  Essentially how it works for me is from Saferoom (where I make a 5x5 room with a candy hatch and stairs, usually steel+ walls and overhanging floor) they go down into 2 Z levels of maze traps ending in a Dodge Me!  which falls them into a cavern several Z-Layers below.  If they make it past the Dodge Me!  They face guards with a threat level of 1-3 (of 5).  If they survive the fall (water is often strategically, and sadistically placed), then they have to battle their way out of the cavern so that they can get picked off by non-official Royal Guards (candy often works well on them).

I like to make it so that there are no doors until after the Guardians.  I haven't had a single thing survive that squadron except for the circus, and if you're afraid of them, have the Guardians patrol a trap maze.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

Here's the really simple dodge-me-ish trap I built for the entrance to my fort:

First, the surface.  Note the zig-zag 1-tile walkway with the traps on it.  The primary purpose of this trap/entrance is to keep the invaders in front of my marksdwarves (in the tower on the left, behind the fortifications) for as long as possible.  I also recently installed an "emergency storm shutter" using a retracting draw bridge in front of the fortifications in case Elite Goblin Crossbowmen show up and start decimating my marksdwarves.  That also gives the civilians a chance to run upstairs and carry away any injured marksdwarves, and usually causes the marksdwarves to run and reload their ammo since they can no longer see any targets.

Then, down a z-level.  It's only one z-level deep so dodging doesn't actually kill anything, but the goblins then have to go back to the beginning and through the traps again, being turned to pincushions by my marksdwarves the whole time.

--nomad_delta
Note you may occasionally get the lucky goblin who double-dodges in the correct direction to circumvent whole sections of your trap. This is why my dodge-me traps have a solid wall or a 3-tile gap between the lanes with my marksdwarves shooting from above.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2