Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Regarding some blue metal (spoilers, perhaps)  (Read 3264 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Regarding some blue metal (spoilers, perhaps)
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:36:54 am »

First off, if this has already been brought up, just say so.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recantly, I have been reading The Lord of the Rings, and once I got to the part where the fellowship is reaching Moria, I noticed something.

Mithril is described. It is much more valuable than gold, harder than steel, extremely light, can be worked with ease. It can only be found in Moria, deep underground. A chainmail made of it is worth more than The Shire. The dwarves dug it, too greedily, too deep. They awoke a great evil.

This instantly rang a bell.

Has adamantine been designed on the basis of mithril, or is it simply a coincidence? I want to know!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding some blue metal (spoilers, perhaps)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:41:33 am »

Don't you know already?

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 07:39:43 am »

There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:28:44 am »

I must admit, I didn't know/hadn't realised it before.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

KurzedMetal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:21 am »

The dwarves dug it, too greedily, too deep.
Average dwarves, i say "Good Job" :)
My PC's hostname is Khazad-dum :)
Quote from: ARandomGuyOnTheInternet
When 80% of your fans use 3 different external programs simultaneously to play your game comfortably, you might need to stand back and think "Maybe...Maybe I should get around making a UI designed to be used by carbon-based entities, like mammals".

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:35 am »

DF adamantine is a combination of the desirable qualities of regular fantasy adamantine (hard, sharp) and mithral (light).
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Fireborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:48 pm »

Pretty much every mythical metal has similar properties... Or at least in the popular conscience.  Though, it is kinda odd that we don't have Mithril in DF vanilla.

Though, I prefer Orichalcon.

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

I like my unobtainium to be a gold and green kinda colour, like oxidised brass.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:58:02 pm »

LotR is the quintessential fantasy story. Everything rips it off. Also, I heard a theory that mithril was in turn based off of titanium. Seems to make sense.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:01 pm »

First off, if this has already been brought up, just say so.

It was in fact discussed prior to DF's first release ever:

Well, if people have preferences about what they want things to be called, I can just stick many of the common words in a file.  Human, elf, whatever.  I don't want to use the words balrog or mithril myself, although this game is certainly Tolkien inspired.
Nah, I was just working on the dook "game" at the time that we were talking about copyright infringement.  So mithril became Dookstar.  On the other hand -- Angband has mithril AND "scruffy looking hobbits", though I think they changed out the balrog.  I thought the H word was particularly bad, and I know ADOM got nailed for it.  Was that only after Thomas Biskup started selling the ADOM deluxe for actual money?
It is in the last core thing I'm going to do, the init file.  Dookstar, of course, a silly name...  but, well, if mithril isn't being enforced or is unenforceable, then I might just do it that way.  Does somebody have an email for the Tolkien estate?  I could just ask them which words they are claiming.

That said, I can change it to adamant/adamantine, which has way older roots.  For instance, "In Greek mythology, Cronus uses an adamantine sickle to castrate his father, the Titan Uranus."

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:58:19 pm »

Well, you see adamentine is the Supports to the WORLD.  It is hard by nature.  Made through forges and does not need magic to help it.

Mithril I think is more magical when it is described normally.  It takes energy to charge it. 

That is what I think the difference is.  Perhaps he should include both.

Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:12:05 am »

Well, you see adamentine is the Supports to the WORLD.  It is hard by nature.  Made through forges and does not need magic to help it.

Mithril I think is more magical when it is described normally.  It takes energy to charge it. 

That is what I think the difference is.  Perhaps he should include both.

As mithril is forged by magic derivatives, we may need to get Toady One to add that
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 07:28:56 am »

Maybe mithril can be made by forging steel in a magical manner, but the reaction can only be learned via secret. If the mithril-makers are not dwarves, this will spark trade.

Awesome!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:20 pm »

I always presumed that this game was more or less directly inspired by Moria from LoTR.

Adamantine is there to give you a reason to dig too deep and awake the slumbering evil. You can mod the raws to call it "Mithril" instead if it makes you feel better :)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »

There are also numerous mods that incorporate mithril as a separate metal, be it an ore or an alloy, but oddly enough I don't think anyone's done a full-on Lord Of The Rings mod.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: [1] 2