Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story  (Read 1103384 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story
« on: June 21, 2011, 05:13:25 am »

Ride along on Cado's Magical Journey.  Threetoe's stories are posted up on Threetoe's Stories, and Analysis.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:28:26 am »

...I think that this might be the longest yet?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:47:03 am »

That was an awesome story... I must admit though, the thing that really caught my attention was only a small part of it; using magic to aid a fight, but still making use of a 5 ft lump of stout wood to lay into the enemies. The idea of being a wandering warrior mage... :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:46 am »

Wow :)

Can't wait to see this stuff implemented, and the story was cool too :)

Have you ever considered a Dwarf Fortress franchise for writing novels?

Sure, they would have to be toned down a *little* from ingame things that some players do, but the framework of the game is already more than sufficient to build some good stories around it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:08:53 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:00:49 am »

Just finished reading.
Damn, I love Threetoe's stories.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:55:12 am »

Quote from: Analysis
Entire fortresses of dwarves could also be reunited in the afterlife after some horrible disaster...

Boatmurdered burns forever in the afterlife, its ghostly inhabitants endlessly thrashing in their twisted, tortured madness... save for one simpleton child, laughing and playing on an endless pile of blackened skulls, unaware of the pain, suffering, and eternal torment of her long-dead kin. This is the price for the greed and hubris of the dwarfs of Kinmelbil.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:44 am »

Wow :)

Can't wait to see this stuff implemented, and the story was cool too :)

Have you ever considered a Dwarf Fortress franchise for writing novels?

Sure, they would have to be toned down a *little* from ingame hings that some players do, but the framework of the game is already more than sufficient to hand some good stories around it.

I was seriously considering writing a book about a seemingly indestructible fortress, With massive gates, lava traps, flooding traps, weapon traps, steam pits, Areas where you can shoot arrows from above into the hallways below, 2000 troops and a total of 20000 dwarves living in it.  Then one goblin hired by the humans will bring the entire fortress down by forging agreement (Mayor's signature) to one of the wealthiest dwarves greediest plans.  I mean, he owned a woodcutting business but because of the siege by the humans he had to resort to the ground's best things..... adamentine, the supports to the mortal world.  Good luck Goldenhold.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:16:01 am by RabidAnubis »
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:23:53 am »

Best one yet. Your writing has improved.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 01:09:08 pm »

This is a fine work of literature!
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Trisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »

Finished, my favorite story yet. Brilliant piece of writing there. The characterization, the concepts, all of it was <3

It warms my heart to read good fiction, loved it. Looking forward to the day when a story like this is possible to experience in dwarf fortress, doesn't seem so far off : D

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

my only critique is that the whole thing seemed to happen really quickly (this also happens in DF) a legendary adventurer can rack up 400 notable kills in a year. THere needs to be another world gen option or an extended wait..... the story itself was well written, the end was very.....happy.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »

Cool story, bro

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 02:31:20 pm »

I love love love love LOVE the notion of the price of magic on the user, as reality attempts to regain equilibrium.  I suppose a given civilization could see this as the mark of a witch who needs burning, or as a mark of great power/holiness (such as elves venerating treants, maybe).  Love it!
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »

Haven't had time to read it yet, but I accidentally read the title as "Cado's Medical Journey", an idea which I believe also has merit.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 05:37:24 pm »

That was fantastic, with excellent references to the dwarf fortress world that sometimes is missing in other stories.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5