Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story  (Read 1103603 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »

Great story.  It seemed a little rushed though, but then again it wasn't a book.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

WatchfulMantis

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Slave of Armok
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:13:28 pm »

I agree with Armok, best one yet, writing improved. Occasional use of "twerp" and such can break immersion a bit, but the story was very engaging. The implementation of magic sounds all the more exciting now, I'm curious to see how these alternate planes can interact with each other. Keep them coming!
"After pawing through some treasure, I was arteried in the leg by a giant axe blade, then cursed with bad luck and boxed in the face by a mummy. The defenses have improved, but a bit more is required." ~ Toady One

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 07:25:44 pm »

The story was awesome, this really was one of the best stories I've ever read about actual mechanics behind magic.

Having extra worlds freely available will also allow for visiting gods in their homes and it would allow player wizards to make their own pocket dimensions, for example.

This. Ever since I played Throne of Bhall, I really wanted a game where you could have your own pocket plane with a mage. Especially since it would probably give you a lot more creativity than just conventional building.

EDIT: Also, yay for a happy ending.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:33:17 pm by FunctionZero »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »

Oh my god, this was a great story.

Can't wait to mod in new magic! :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Umune

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all who wander are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »

The story was awesome, this really was on of the best stories I've ever read about actual mechanics behind magic.
Having extra worlds freely available will also allow for visiting gods in their homes and it would allow player wizards to make their own pocket dimensions, for example.
This. Ever since I played Throne of Bhall, I really wanted a game where you could have your own pocket plane with a mage. Especially since it would probably give you a lot more creativity than just conventional building.
1. Create pocket dimension to preference
2. Link to real world
3. Build fortress there
4. ???
5. !!Profit!!

Also, will Armok be a standard deity now? I hold the opinion that he (?) should be a constant, drawing from the game's title.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 07:38:17 pm »

...Epic Magical Battle is Epic...

But seriously, that was an amazing story. Can't wait for alternate planes of existence.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:08 pm »

Hah, that was great! I loved the way, if you looked closely, so many different things linked it to DF!
Also, of course, the teaser of magic was drool-inducing...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:13:58 pm »

Echoing those who said that you're becoming a much better writer, especially with regard to pacing, atmosphere and overall command of language.  The take on magic was cool (as always, I like how y'all emphasize the mystical aspects of magic over the mundane), the action scenes flowed well, and the dreamworld stuff reminded me of some of my favorite gaming experiences ever (the Circus Tent in Baldur's Gate 2 and Muse's Dream in Romancing Saga 3).  I also liked that the focus was on wizards, adventures, and DF-isms like forest spirits instead of knights and princesses.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:26 pm »

Awesome, really enjoyed reading that. I liked the whole manipulation of gravity and space/time magic. If magic ends up in the game sort of like that, it will be amazing.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:39 am »

Great story. I always like Threetoe's stories, but that one was really top notch.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 12:46:08 am »

I liked this little gag:

Alino was ecstatic. Never before had he taken this much joy in the slaughter.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 01:08:18 am »

That was awesome!
You have struck Microcline!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:13 am »

Going to speak honestly here and I am going to appologise in advance for this.

I am actually starting to find the story annoying.

It really gets close to being "Cado's Journey where things happen but magic fixes EVERYTHING!"

It gets to the point where it is actually more odd when he doesn't simply magic out a victory (or rather where his failures make less sense then his success) as it seems that the only thing that really matches up to him are essentially gods and god-like creatures.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess it makes sense if these are the Wizards of legend where this was the Wizard Arc, where they are so powerful they were basically one man fortresses. Judging it as a story of that is another thing... Cado is pretty much a shining example of a Mary Sue. I'd say more, but honestly I risk getting a very mad Threetoe/Toady/DF-Fan on my back or at least losing other's respect.

I will admit I started to like it near the end... but probably for the wrong reasons. In fact I may reread it under that mindset.

----

As for the Toady analysis. I am starting to wonder how much he seriously considers it... because some of it is awsome (Especially the "You play your afterlife" aspect) and maybe too awsome for me to believe.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:27:21 am by Neonivek »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:42 am »

This was nice.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 04:41:09 am »

Nice!
The dreamlands are very Lovecraftesque.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5