Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Gemfire - Prince Garth for Prez!  (Read 16742 times)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Let's Play Gemfire - Prince Garth for Prez!
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:17 am »

Hello gentlemen!

KOEI!? Is this Uncharted Waters!?

Hmm...

Must be an available love interest in the game!

Is this another gem collection RPG?

Oh, so he will hire me and I can ride his dragon?

Oh.

PC version introduction (more detailed, explains more events and why King Eselred is unquestionably evil)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Introduction

What is Gemfire?
It is a simple turn-based strategy game where you try to take over the whole island.

Why this game?
First, it is a relatively simple game and not something like X-COM, and isn't too stressing either! Also this is very audience input friendly, at least the diplomatic screen anyway, battles I'll have to see.

How does it play?

Basically, the main screen looks like this, the map and date is to the right and everything else is to the left. The map and date should be self-explanatory (Don't worry about the square stuff on top of them, they are families, I will go in depth on them later).

The left, on the other hand, needs some explanation.
At the top left corner is the family's name and the province number and name.

The words to the right of the portrait is the character's title and name. To be honest I'm not entirely TOO sure about the icon below it, but I think it shows if the character is a lord (A shield), a vassal (Icon looks like the swords crossing like in the screenshots), or, if the place has the family leader as the lord, but the family leader is residing in another place, a flag.

The gold coins are, well, money of course. War costs money, you hire mercenaries with money, etc. The flag next to it is loyalty, which determines how much coins you will make at the tax month (September).
The bread below the coins represents food, which is pretty much like money, honestly. It does have a few differences here and there. You can also buy and sell food, and the price of food varies, so taking advantage of the varying prices help. When the price is low, hoard food, when the price is high, sell food, it's just like that. The crops next to the food represents the fertility of the land, which is exactly like loyalty, just to food. Again, you collect food at September. 
The fine looking man in a suit below the bread icon are the amount of soldiers. Now, there are 4 units of common soldiers, which are 2 footmen, cavalry, and archers. Footmen are your basic melee attackers, they can also build fences. Footmen move 2 squares. Cavalry can't build fences, but they move 3 squares. They might be stronger, but don't quote me on that. Archers can only fight 1 tile away, so they are quite helpless at melee range. The troops all divide evenly, with perhaps 1 or 2 units difference if your troops can't divide completely evenly.
I should also note that there is a 5th troop, and they are the special units. Most families will receive a gem that contains a wizard at the beginning of the game, and those are replenishable and free 5th units, with the best ones better than your average 5th unit. King Eselred's family also has the dragon gem, which is undeniably the most powerful 5th unit. Also you can hire 5th units, and while they are quite expensive and aren't as effective as the wizards, they are great backups when you have no gems or when your wizards are resting. There is also this unit that is almost as good as the dragon except it only has is melee (the dragon has ranged), but you need to be a good ruler AND it will disappear after one battle. Oh, and wizards can be captured when you conquer the family that has the gem.
Also before I derail too much the castle thing submerged in water is fortification, which minimized damage from the many random events that plague the island.

The 4 icons in the bottom are commands, the sword and shield icon opens the war commands. The house thingy are domestic commands. While the flag are diplomatic commands and the helmet are miscellaneous commands.

Whew, and that is pretty much it, I will go in depth of the other commands as we play.

Audience input, you say?
Yes, you will get to choose the scenario, the family, etc. Honestly, I'll be having user input for most of the things, probably battles too.

Now, let us do this.

The Game

Isn't it a fine land?

Spoiler: Families! (click to show/hide)

Next up, the scenarios!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:58:40 pm by justinlee999 »

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
Re: Gemfire - More Gems!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:23:48 am »

Scenarios
Spoiler: Scenarios (click to show/hide)

So, I'll be doing the update tomorrow, as I'm sleeping, either way, I want you to vote for the scenario first, then we'll vote for the family to play as. If you want me having a hard game, choose Chrysallis in the first scenario (DON'T DO THAT). If you want the easy game (OH YEAH!) then have me go Lyle/Blanche at the fourth scenario, your pick.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:01 am »

Which factions are the equivalent of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and/or Oliver Cromwell? Because playing as fantasy Oliver Cromwell and winning would be neat.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:23 am »

First Scenario, Chrysallis, final destination.

Also, lol wemon magiks sux.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:42:35 am »

Oh yeah, which faction does Fantasy Bloody Mary belong to? Because Fantasy Bloody Mary is way hotter than the real one.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:12 pm »

posting to watch.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:29:00 pm »

Oh yeah, which faction does Fantasy Bloody Mary belong to? Because Fantasy Bloody Mary is way hotter than the real one.
not sure what you mean, but if you mean princess Robyn,  she doesn't really exist gameplay wise, she's also in the lankshire family. As for scotland, well, the only separate land is where chrysallis is,  and spare be from playing as chrysallis!

Hyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:46 pm »

Chrysallis, Scenario 1. You knew this would happen. :P

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

LPing a KOEI  game? count me in.  8)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:23:42 pm »

I never was good at this game, but even I destroyed Chrysallis.

Voting Chrysallis, Scenario 1.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:13:20 pm »

Voting Fantasy John Stanley, first scenario. That means Chrysallis
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:14:57 pm by ssfsx17 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 09:18:58 pm »

not sure what you mean, but if you mean princess Robyn,  she doesn't really exist gameplay wise, she's also in the lankshire family. As for scotland, well, the only separate land is where chrysallis is,  and spare be from playing as chrysallis!

You're thinking of Ireland, as Scotland is attached to the English mainland.

So yeah, my vote is for First Scenario, fantasy Ireland!  (Chrysallis sucker)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »

Ah, in that case, fantasy Scotland is probably Blanche or Lyle, but still, everyone else voted for Chrysallis at Scenario 1, so...

D:< My face.

FINE.

I would've let you guys choose my advisers, but that takes too much unnecessary time. So Jasper the Riddler it is.

Now, if you don't know yet, we're on that tiny island with Lyle blocking us.

I'll run through briefly the commands to let you know what you can ask me to do.

Spoiler: Commands (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:44:13 pm by justinlee999 »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:25:31 am »

Ally Lyle, so they don't kill you before you're ready for them.

Then plunder them until they break the treaty.

Once they break the treaty, use your newfound gold to buy troops.

Two other things: Cultivate in the summer, and buy food right after the harvest.

You don't need a fifth unit, as you only have one province, and a charged gem.  Once that changes, buy the nastiest fifth unit you can.  If you have two or more provinces, we can vote on which you should buy.

The strength and descriptions for the Fifth units are in the manual.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:43 am »

Good idea, any more suggestions?

EDIT: Also if this LP succeeds, I'll replay this game, because it is replayable, sounds good?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:42:26 am by justinlee999 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5