Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tanning hides  (Read 2005 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tanning hides
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »

For some reason, whenever I slaughter and animal, I get the message that the Tan Hide job was canceled. Is there a reason I can't tan a hide, or is this a bug?
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tanning hides
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:25:48 pm »

Well, can you tan a hide? Queue up a tanning job and see if it gets canceled. If it works then my guess would be the hide being tsk'd by a hauler before a tanner could call dibs on it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:14 pm »

Do you have multiple tanners?  Each will instantly queue the job, but only one gets the hide.  The other tanner are insulted.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »

Does that happen with a single tanner's workshop, GIH?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:40:26 pm »

I've never had that issue. However, I also use one tannery, so there's only ever one shop to queue the job in.

Do you have rotten hides around? If no tanning jobs are getting done, you should have some laying about somewhere. If there aren't any, then someone must be making leather.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »

I figured it out: I needed to queue them from the manager screen.

Unfortunately, this is after my legendary Stoneworker who was in a fey mood and lusting after leather when mad and drowned himself.

Bloody Dwarves.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:59 pm »

I figured it out: I needed to queue them from the manager screen.

Unfortunately, this is after my legendary Stoneworker who was in a fey mood and lusting after leather when mad and drowned himself.

Bloody Dwarves.

I recommend keeping tanneries adjacent (or at least in very close proximity) to the butcher's area. Also, you can configure a refuse stockpile to only accept fresh raw hide. Even a five-six tile stockpile so restricted does wonders.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:04 pm »

For some reason one of my forts stopped auto-tanning.  I had to keep a manager queue for leather.  I keep my job cancels turned off, as I'm tired of "Urist McPeasant #57 Cancels Store Owned Item" and "Urist McHauler #103 Cancels Drink: Water Source Vanished".

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:32 pm »

I believe that if you don't have a stockpile that accepts raw hides you should be ok, since there will be no place for the haulers to take away the hide - leaving it for the tanners. At least that's my interpretation of what the wiki says on this, and I can't remember having any problems with it: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Meat_industry#Butchering

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »

I believe Kerosene is correct.  I get that job canceled report all the time, but I ignore it.

I'm 95% certain that it occurs because upon butchering (and thus the creation of a hide), a "tan hide" task gets auto-tasked at the tannery.  however, if you have free haulers, they're quickly grab the hide to carry it to a stockpile (any refuse pile counts unless you've expressly forbidden hides at it).  If you simultaneously have free tanners, they'll head to the tannery, but no hide is available because it's in the process of being hauled.  It should, i believe, requeue the task as soon as the hide is delivered to the refuse stockpile, and your tanners should try again to go get it (being successful the second time).
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 12:47:32 am »

I get that job cancel ALLLL the time with multiple tanner shop ( I tend to have two for every butcher shop I have, I noticed that things get butchered faster than hides get tanned, but not twice as fast, on average. )

Don't worry about it if you have multiple tannery or just overly on the ball haulers  :D