Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Paranormal 19.5 - Game Over!  (Read 66833 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 19.5 - Day 2: Discussions with Death
« Reply #270 on: July 10, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »

lordnincompoop,

Jokerman-EXE, Dariush, lordnincompoop, why aren't you voting?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 10, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

Dariush:
Dariush: I was actually suspecting you less, but why are you blowing off LNCP's questions like that?   Do you think he is scummy or is he just annoying you?
What do you mean, 'blowing off questions'? I'm pretty sure I'm answering them. And yes, I thought he was scummy for reasons I outlined when I first addressed him.

Okay. Do you have anything original, or for that matter, substantial?
, which is pretty much a rephrasing of Toaster's accusation.

What is your read on IronyOwl? What do you think should be done with lurkers in general?
Hah. I love these two questions: You're trying to get me to support your case on him and sentence him (and others) at the same time. You'll then likely use my words against myself, no?
You're paranoidal, aren't you?

There's a couple examples for you.

Also, what makes Jokerman scummier than LNCP?  I agree, but I want your reasons.

Think:  Fair enough.  Just wanted to see where else your suspicions lay.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:11 pm »

Well, I had the longest day ever and I'm not feeling nearly as poetic as I was earlier, but you guys do deserve my attention so I'm going to try to rehash what I had written.

Jim Groovester, you've got my vote (hurr durr) for being the scummiest. Let's see.

You're tunneling Max White. Yeah, maybe that's trite, but you said here:

If Max White doesn't pan out I'll find new suspicions. That's how the game is played. I lynch my top choice, and if that doesn't pan out, I move on.

So you're saying that you're perfectly willing to lynch him and not bother with other suspicions (seeing as you haven't fielded any), and if that doesn't work...you'll just act like that's totally fine. No, that's not how the game is played. That's how the scum-game is played. If your suspicions were real, then you would have multiple suspects, not one that you latch onto and not even care whether or not he's truly scum.

And then this:

And now you're accusing me of not scumhunting.

Yep, you're really laying down the groundwork for an argument against me.

HOW DARE I accuse you of something and then have it work as an argument later. Why, that would be a purely scumtacular move, doing something like pointing out your bad moves.

Speaking of which...

Toaster/Everyone Else: You're saying that I'm not hunting because I asked several people what their scumlists are. But you know what I got in response?

I'm not swimming in strong leads, but Dariush has caught my eye for regurgitating the suspect lists of everybody else in the game, and also lurking like a motherfucker, just like he said he would.

"Bandwagon on Max first, then Dariush because *regurgitates what everyone else says about Dariush*."

Admittedly, I haven't really got anything except Dariush yet.

"Nah man, scumhunting isn't my game. I'll just keep going with the second bandwagon."

Lrn2readplz.

"Don't have an answer, or can't link to it, so I'll pretend it wasn't asked."

So you know what? I'd have to say that it WAS effective scumhunting, because it pointed out how blatantly certain people in this game are coasting by without really contributing at all (OH GOD THE IRONY IS GLORIOUS).

Jokerman-EXE: Why the cool and aloof demeanor? For such careful observation, four variations on 'Who are your suspects' don't seem like very insightful questions. Why are you staying away from the lynches?

Think, seriously dude. The cool and aloof demeanor is because I'm, wait for it, cool and aloof. That's how I play and that's how I am, so live with it. I'm not staying away from the lynch, I'm just not rushing into it headlong like the rest of you.

Anyone else have anything to say?
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 10, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »

...pretty strange hearing about passivity from someone who lurked D1 away.
For most people, I'm sure it would be. In your case, however, I think our scumhunting was pretty comparable that day. You had more overall interaction, but most of it was reactive.

And I just explained my stance on lurkers - until they get in here and say something, it's impossible to tell about them anything except 'they're lurking'. When they do, the position against them may be a bit... biased.
This has nothing to do with you voting someone and then sitting on it, and it's certainly not an excuse to do nothing at all.

I admittedly don't have much in the way of suspects, but I'm actually doing something about my list.
Yeah. You're ignoring it.
Do explain.

IronyOwl: Can you summarise to us your points against Dariush and reasoning for same?
I didn't really like how, in the same post, he said he'd be very careful with his vote, even during RVS, and then promptly hopped onto Toony. Upon rereading, it occurred to me that that was his first real post of the game, and he was the third vote on Toony, with an RV question, well after more interesting things were happening.

More importantly, he's been doing almost no scumhunting, especially prior to being called on it. That's not to say he's not here: He's responding to questions, voting, and even lightly scumhunting people who accuse him (in a fairly OMGUSy manner). In terms of voting someone and then scumhunting them, though, there's very, very little- he votes, asks them some token question, and then defends himself.

When I asked him about this, he had this to say:
Toony was digging a pit for himself and finally fell into it. My questioning wouldn't have changed anything. Max already dug half a pit and is now desperately trying to get out of it. The bad thing about lurkers is that they don't say anything substantial which makes it impossible to base any case on them except 'they're lurking'. What are your other suspects?

In other words, he's content to just ride lynches. He's not so passive that he won't vote for people, just passive enough that he doesn't feel the need to do anything afterwards.

So you're saying that you're perfectly willing to lynch him and not bother with other suspicions (seeing as you haven't fielded any), and if that doesn't work...you'll just act like that's totally fine. No, that's not how the game is played. That's how the scum-game is played. If your suspicions were real, then you would have multiple suspects, not one that you latch onto and not even care whether or not he's truly scum.

Toaster/Everyone Else: You're saying that I'm not hunting because I asked several people what their scumlists are. But you know what I got in response?

"Bandwagon on Max first, then Dariush because *regurgitates what everyone else says about Dariush*."
"Nah man, scumhunting isn't my game. I'll just keep going with the second bandwagon."

So you know what? I'd have to say that it WAS effective scumhunting, because it pointed out how blatantly certain people in this game are coasting by without really contributing at all (OH GOD THE IRONY IS GLORIOUS).

Anyone else have anything to say?
Oh, this is rich. Really, this is just awesome.

See, a real townie's gotta have suspects. So what you'll do, see, is ask everyone what their suspects are. Whoever has the least suspects go on your suspect list, and the one with the absolute fewest suspects gets your vote. And since you did it first, you've already got your list of suspects, so nobody can do the exact same thing to you!

Brilliant. Especially since half your post is being suspicious of two people for being suspicious of the third, which you are now also suspicious of, for the exact same reasons as those two. I mean, calling people out on their bandwagon like that while joining it just really takes class.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 10, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »

You're tunneling Max White. Yeah, maybe that's trite, but you said here:

No I'm not.

I told him the only way to save himself from the lynch was to start scumhunting, and this was my more than fair way of telling him to get his ass in gear and change my mind.

And what did he do? He completely disappeared. Not an ounce of scumhunting to see from him for miiiiiiiles around. My vote on him is perfectly justified, and any insinuations that I'm beating up on him because he's a poor widdle helpwess newbie completely disappeared the moment he started lurking. Because even poor little helpless newbies keep trying to scumhunt after they fuck up royally.

I suggest you fact check your arguments the next time you try and accuse me.

If Max White doesn't pan out I'll find new suspicions. That's how the game is played. I lynch my top choice, and if that doesn't pan out, I move on.

You've got a lot of leg to stand on, telling me how to play the game.

Max White is my top suspect. I believe he is scum. I want to see him lynched. If you think that's scummy then I suggest you go sign up for the next Beginner's Mafia so I can reeducate you to my satisfaction.

Any suggestion that I don't believe what I'm saying or that my suspicions aren't real is desperate bullshit to bolster a failing argument not supported by evidence.

And now you're accusing me of not scumhunting.

Yep, you're really laying down the groundwork for an argument against me.

HOW DARE I accuse you of something and then have it work as an argument later. Why, that would be a purely scumtacular move, doing something like pointing out your bad moves.

Except it's not true. Gotta lay down the groundwork for bullshit arguments well in advance if they've got any chance of sticking.

I guess in addition to not posting you haven't been reading the thread. How about you go look through the thread and tell me how I haven't been scumhunting.

I've been keeping my eyes pretty damn open.

I'm not swimming in strong leads, but Dariush has caught my eye for regurgitating the suspect lists of everybody else in the game, and also lurking like a motherfucker, just like he said he would.

Ah yes, the classic two vote, first vote bandwagon.

It's like you're throwing jargon around without any consideration for whether it's true or not.

I waited a couple days for this? I was expecting something better. Maybe something that would take more than twenty minutes to completely refute.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 11, 2011, 11:57:24 am »

There's a couple examples for you.
Huh, I thought they were rhetorical.
Also, what makes Jokerman scummier than LNCP?  I agree, but I want your reasons.
I didn't want the day to end without my vote and I didn't yet want to vote LNCP. Jokerman was beginning to tire me with his lurking.

blablabla
bullshit
products of some diseased imagination
more bullshit
yadayadayada
Stop wasting my time, please.
What exactly did you intend with those questions?
To pressure you and get explanation for your behaviour.
Actually, I just went through your posts. You have Jokerman down for "lurking which is like him", and you have no interactions with him beyond that. In a later post, you also replied that there is nothing out of the ordinary with on-meta lurking. If you don't think in-meta lurking is noteworthy, then why do you seem to think it's a scumtell?
When I said 'nothing out of order' I meant that it's less scummy than lurking when meta says you should be active. 'Less scummy', not 'not scummy'.
Additionally, your first pick was Irrony (who you FOSed, too), and since your suspicions of him don't seem to have changed much, why are you voting Jokerman - especially since you've done nothing to pursue this pick? Are you just looking for an easy lynch?
Irony is doing something. Jokerman is lurking and lying.

"The answer to your question is SIX posts above yours. Go hang."

This has nothing to do with you voting someone and then sitting on it, and it's certainly not an excuse to do nothing at all.
I was waiting to see what Jokerman has to say. If he didn't have anything (like he doesn't), he gets my vote. It's as simple as that.
Do explain.
Wait, I confused your suspect list with Vector's. Understandable, since you never gave one. All you had to say is 'Dariush is scum' and 'I don't suspect anyone else'.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 11, 2011, 12:17:21 pm »

Extend. By my count the day is about to end in a no-lynch.  Post in a sec
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 11, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »

Sure, Extend.

I recall Vector was going to do a readthrough of the game where she reexamined all her suspicions but never did.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 11, 2011, 12:20:29 pm »

Extend, by my count there's a tie between Jokerman, Dariush, and Max.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 11, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »

Er, there can be another extension?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 11, 2011, 12:24:37 pm »

One of you should change your vote so that I get my way, the day doesn't end in a no lynch, and the day doesn't have to be extended.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »

Jokerman:

Yes, the irony is strong.  What does a three-way tie at two votes do to your bandwagon accusations?  (Hint- it makes them look silly)

Dariush:  I can't help but feel like you're bullshitting me about your Jokerman vote.  You sure look like you're more suspicious of LNCP.  Watching Dethy taught me that you're extremely transparent with your motives.  I think you want Jokerman to hang, but don't want to put forth the effort to build anything solid on him.  Do you have anything to add besides "lurking lol" on him?

Max:  Where'd you go?  You had by far the most posts in this thread, but then you throw a bonkers accusation at me and vanish.  You've had time to help people with their philosophy homework- why not post here?

Think and Jim:  Would you rather see Jokerman or Dariush hang?

Irony and Vector:  Would you rather see Jokerman or Max hang?

I'd rather see Dariush hang over Max, for reasons stated above.  There's no point asking Dariush.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 11, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »

The Whiteboard
Dariush: IronyOwl, Vector
Jim Groovester: Jokerman-EXE
Jokerman-EXE: Dariush, Toaster
Max White: Jim Groovester, Think0028
Toaster: Max White

Day has been Extended to ~10am Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:39 pm »

Dariush:  I can't help but feel like you're bullshitting me about your Jokerman vote.  You sure look like you're more suspicious of LNCP.  Watching Dethy taught me that you're extremely transparent with your motives.  I think you want Jokerman to hang, but don't want to put forth the effort to build anything solid on him.  Do you have anything to add besides "lurking lol" on him?
In Dethy I didn't care one whit about transparency because webadict decided who was about to hang and who didn't and me wasting my time on concealing myself wouldn't have changed anything and anyway I was plain bored. Here and now I temporarily lost interest in LNCP (until D3) because all this waiting on the Jokerman's ubermegasuperduperhyperterapetapost where he would say everything he didn't say since the beginning of the game finally paid off... or rather didn't. If he thinks he can lurk the game away and put something useful in separate chunks, he may. If he thinks he can lurk the game away and then spew some bullshit and call it activity, he can go hang. Which he is about to do now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 19.5 - Day 1 begins...again
« Reply #284 on: July 11, 2011, 12:57:29 pm »

LNCP:  You're the only one not voting now.  You've spent most of today focusing on Dariush: what makes him not voteworthy?  If not him, who is?

Checking your posts got me this, though:

Dariush:
I'll humour you, though. IronyOwl came in a bit late, but now that he's started hunting, he's not a high-priority target for me. Lurkers should be prodded or told off; you can't do much else.
So, you plan to ignore both anybody who's scumhunting (in your weird definition of the word) and all lurkers and instead bandwagon on weak players. Duly noted.

How is he bandwagonning if he's not voting?

In regards to above:  I suppose your view has merit, but I still can't shake a gut feeling of BS over it.  I'd be more impressed if you had specific questions to Jokerman, though.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30