Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: Paranormal 19.5 - Game Over!  (Read 65823 times)

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 19.5 - Game Over!
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »

And being a Tough Doppleganger was soooooooooo useful for scum. I mean, look at all the roles with night-kills!

</sarcasm>

Well, three scum in eleven players is a favorable count to scum, so it's fair that one of you was essentially vanilla.  The tech field could have helped if I had try to MC ray you.

Fair point. I guess I'm more just upset that I got scum in Beginner's XXIV, then scum in Paranormal 19 pre-reboot, and then scum here. I could feel my town game wasting away :(
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2011, 08:38:50 pm »

Quote from: Irony
The one thing I'm curious about is Toaster, though. His evidence on me is legitimately weak, but I'm wondering if something in his gut is telling him the truth, or if he's just grabbing what he can and it happens to be right.

It was gut, and the fact that I was heavily reminded of your play during Sorc App 3 during D3.  I was honest about my doubt toward LNCP, but he cleared it up.  Everything I said was straight and true, except I never said that I was pretty sure you and LNCP were opposite alignment based on claim data.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2011, 11:58:02 pm »

I think a discussion on some basic rules, like Day Length and the cap on Extensions might be useful. Or if anyone has any other suggestions, we can hash those out in the Discussion Thread

Spoiler: Role PMs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Night 2 (click to show/hide)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 21, 2011, 12:36:48 am »

Hrm. On one hand, I did feel the pressure of the short days. On the other, not sure of the best way to resolve that. Maybe initial 72 instead of 48 hours?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 21, 2011, 02:36:49 am »

Fuck yeah, finally I won a game without any stupid mistakes! Also, why did Vector block other dopps? And why didn't you contact me? Did you think I was going to betray you?

Oh, and Toaster, looks at my posting stats please. I'm asleep when the day ends, so I couldn't possibly change my vote at the last moment however much I wanted ;) And I actually planned on creating a tie so I won't risk a dopp getting lynched. All right, I'm off to read the dopp and dead chat, should prove interesting  :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:52:15 am by Dariush »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:34 am »

On the one hand, the short days and extension cap is definitely restrictive. On the other, I'm not sure that's a bad thing- it creates a much more flowing, do-or-die sort of style than when you can just extend indefinitely waiting on lurkers and hashing out minor details.

Fuck yeah, finally I won a game without any stupid mistakes! Also, why did Vector block other dopps?
Authenticity. Vector was trying to play as absolutely townlike as possible, in every way she could.

I thought it was excessive, personally, though I did appreciate the goal.

And why didn't you contact me? Did you think I was going to betray you?
At first, I didn't know if you were really what you said you were, or a townie trying to root out the entire scumteam in one fell swoop. That wasn't a risk we could take. Later on I became more convinced you were really a survivor, but we still couldn't trust you, and didn't really need your services at the time.

If things turned ugly, I probably would have contacted you, likely in a plausibly deniable way if you did rat me out.

And I actually planned on creating a tie so I won't risk a dopp getting lynched. All right, I'm off to read the dopp and dead chat, should prove interesting  :P
Now that is just hilariously treacherous. If for some reason the game didn't end at that point, you'd definitely have gotten on our good sides. :P

Also, what tech did you choose?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2011, 03:08:47 am »

Shield of course. Though by N1 I thought that no sane dopp would ever target me so I should have better taken a Scanner, but... it was too late.

Also your discussions about me in dopp and dead chat just ruined my mafia player self-esteem even farther. I hate you all, and especially Jim and Vector.  >:(

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:39 am »

Sorry if I don't have any wisdom here, I'm still reeling from Max White flipping town.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2011, 07:28:56 am »

I think a discussion on some basic rules, like Day Length and the cap on Extensions might be useful.
lolololol.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2011, 07:43:56 am »

Oh, and Toaster, looks at my posting stats please. I'm asleep when the day ends, so I couldn't possibly change my vote at the last moment however much I wanted ;) And I actually planned on creating a tie so I won't risk a dopp getting lynched. All right, I'm off to read the dopp and dead chat, should prove interesting  :P

Sorry- that was directed more at Irony and the rest of the scum team than you.  I honestly stopped paying attention to you once you claimed Survivor- not that you did a whole lot afterwards.  Again, you made the correct decision there... also revealing why Survivors have a tendency to hang when it's not LYLO.

On day length, I'd think a 72 hour day would be a good start- how often is at least one extension not asked for?  I can see a cap on extensions (to prevent things from dragging out), but I'd make the initial day longer to compensate.

I think 72 hour days work in my games- there's always shorten.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2011, 09:24:16 am »

24 hour extensions are a disaster. Do you know the amount of time it takes to even get an extension? About 24 hours. So, you're immediately calling for a new one as soon as you get one.

48 hour extensions are much, much more useful, as you can decide what to do with it. At least that way, you have time to decide things, instead of perma-extending. You're making people worry about time if you give only 24 hour extensions.

And don't even get me started on capping extensions. If there are 33% of people ASKING for an extension, then there's a friggin' reason for it. Capping it is so stupid.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2011, 09:42:38 am »

The idea with the blocking, by the way, was that we were having enough trouble with our daygame that, if our nightgame ended up getting caught at all, there was no way in heaven we were going to get out of it.

I don't normally advocate self-blocking >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:13 am »

Meph, about about a bastard paranormal next? The last one was awesome  :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2011, 11:22:14 am »

24 hour extensions are a disaster. Do you know the amount of time it takes to even get an extension? About 24 hours. So, you're immediately calling for a new one as soon as you get one.

48 hour extensions are much, much more useful, as you can decide what to do with it. At least that way, you have time to decide things, instead of perma-extending. You're making people worry about time if you give only 24 hour extensions.

And don't even get me started on capping extensions. If there are 33% of people ASKING for an extension, then there's a friggin' reason for it. Capping it is so stupid.

Actually, since extensions only take 25% of players in my games it's actually pretty easy to get.

And the reason I said we should discuss it is because, as Irony pointed out, the time pressure can be a good thing. It forces the game along helps keep things from stagnating. The whole reason I put the extension caps IN was that we had some games where days just kept getting extended ad-nauseum and people were getting fed up with it.

An initial 72 hour day might be a good idea though.

In any case I'll bring it up in the general discussion thread. Might be good to see what our current crop of players think, on the whole.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »

Actually, since extensions only take 25% of players in my games it's actually pretty easy to get.

And the reason I said we should discuss it is because, as Irony pointed out, the time pressure can be a good thing. It forces the game along helps keep things from stagnating. The whole reason I put the extension caps IN was that we had some games where days just kept getting extended ad-nauseum and people were getting fed up with it.

There is, however, a reasonable middle ground for this. I found myself utterly useless for the most part, and rushed through most of my cases at day-end (as was pointed out by many). Even if I was able to completely dedicate myself to this stuff, I don't think I'd have enough time to properly think everything out.

Thus, I'd like to reiterate Toaster's suggestion of 72hr days, and suggest you raise the 24hr Extension cap by one. I think this is pretty reasonable, and would go in well with your next Paranormal game.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30