Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!  (Read 32368 times)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 09:11:27 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD/PhD <- That's what I was going for. And I'll add in the OOC bit next update.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

Red text on grey isn't the easiest thing in the world to read. Not the hardest either, though.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:40 am »

Personally, I prefer your older way of writing. It's a lot easier to read while just as enjoyable :)

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2011, 08:14:27 am »

Alright, I guess I'll finish Doctor Hans in narrative and then go back to my old style with Crawlers Bane, then. It would seem weird for him to suddenly stop doing the diary thing. I'm not expecting him to last long, anyways.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2011, 08:26:31 am »

Alright, I guess I'll finish Doctor Hans in narrative and then go back to my old style with Crawlers Bane, then. It would seem weird for him to suddenly stop doing the diary thing. I'm not expecting him to last long, anyways.
Well now that you've said that the RNG shall bless you as a saint and arrange events for a 15-rune completed run to take place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 07, 2011, 11:50:57 am »

I can only hope. Also, before I update again, shall I switch to the new trunk version? I hear that they've replaced Crusaders and have changed the training system, so...?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2011, 11:59:48 am »

Yes. The training system removes that bastard we called Victory Dancing.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2011, 12:04:01 pm »

They didn't remove Crusaders. They removed Paladins, Arcane Marksmen, and Reavers. For some reason....
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2011, 12:38:47 pm »

^ I said "replaced", not "removed".

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:33 am »

Update 15!

Current Character: Doctor Hans the Octopode Transmuter

Spoiler: Da Queue (click to show/hide)

Welcome back to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. We'll keep using the current narrative style for just a bit longer, when Doctor Hans dies, as he inevitably will, we switch back to my old style. Anyways, we've updated our version of Crawl to the latest one, and among the existing changes, the victory dancing system is removed. Yay! I briefly mentioned it a few times now and then, it's just the repeated and nonsensical repetition of an action. Not going to help a ton for this character, since Transmuters need lots of skills on, but yeah, let's get back to the actual LPing.

The Journal of Doctor Hans, MD, PhD, Esq.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I decide to do some introspection and look at my skills. Right now, I'm training these, which I suppose is a fine enough spread for a multi-talented man like myself.

I descend, and I find a throwing net and a rat. I suppose I could be set upon by a group of ruffians, so it isn't too bad.

Upon killing a rat I feel a sudden burst of skill.

I'm also left with a choice. Should I degrade myself to eating vermin to ease my hunger?

It's actually not that bad. It has a gamey, earthy feel to it. Not to mention I didn't get sick. Sure, I could have eaten bread or that meat right over there but I figured it could be worse and it was better to save them.

After doing some exploring, clobbering ruffians, and finding a few trinkets here and there, I see this curious fellow. He seems tough, and I bet he has a gang of hardened thugs with him.

I was only too correct. Thankfully, I have the power of exploding confusion gas with me.

One of the thugs jabs the other with his spear. Serves him right for a life of crime. Also, I feel like I've reached another milestone in experience.

I become more clever in doing so. I don't even know how it's possible for me to become even more clever then I already am. Then again, I suppose the ring already did so, so my point is moot.

After watching a few thugs haplessly kill themselves in confusion (with some assistance from me), I find this solitary thug. I don't want to use another confusion potion, so...

An explosion of scalding steam in his face will do well.

The next few pages are scrawled on crudely in blood.

I iz Grumdy, and I iz gnoll. me and friends iz take a walk in dunge... dungo... big cave. but little octo come to cave and kill all me gobbie friend and rat pet :( octo try to explode me and friends, but I iz catch him and kill him. iz justice! justice good, like zin!

And coming up next, the one you've all been waiting for, Crawler's Bane, the HoPr of Beogh... next update. Slurring characters together in an update doesn't really do wonders for quality, or so I've seen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:38:01 am by Un67 »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2011, 08:07:03 am »

Update 16!

Current Character: Crawlers Bane the Orc Priest

Spoiler: Da Queue (click to show/hide)

So welcome back to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Let me apologize for the extremely lackluster updates we've had recently, but I was experimenting with a new style and had just gotten the best character we've had in this LP die a completely ridiculous death, so I hope you can see why they were that way. We now return to our regularly scheduled style of Un67's lame attempts at humor and horrible failures at gameplay. Yay! Isn't this why you guys watch LPs? (haha no)

So this is our new 'hero' Crawlers Bane, the HOPr of Beogh. You know all of those pesky orc priests with smite and orc packs, the bane of every Crawler? You can replicate the exact same experience as a HOPr, only you can't spam smite but you can get Saint Roka as a follower, an extremely powerful unique, as well as some less impressive ones like Blork the orc, Urug, and Nergalle, although those guys are fine too. Our orc army will pretty much sweep through the midgame, before getting totally trashed in Zot by endgame stuff. Oh, and we can abuse Evaporation to turn our warlords (which we will inevitably eventually get) into dragons and hydras, which is always fun, although we need Recall if we do that.

This is the new stat screen circa the change to training. Notice that thing at the bottom about auto and manual? That changes it between the old system and the new one. I'm going to change it to the new one. As for my actual skills, they are pretty decent and fair enough for my build. I'm probably going to turn off Invocations for a bit, though, it's not terribly important and we need our toughness to build up.

And our first enemy, a rat. Just like old times.

What's this, some kind of menagerie?

Orcs have never been fans of exotic animals, however, Also, note that we get piety for killing things, which is always nice, although we don't for praying over things unless said things are orcs.

We find our first ring! Also, note that our rotten chunks are considered contaminated, and not inedible. Orcs have the first pip of saprovore, so they can eat rotten chunks. One reason out of many why orcs are superior (actually, they are pretty decent, if rather boring).

Level 2! Another reason why orcs are superior is because of their good leveling rate, which is much better then those pesky elves.

Fighting's up to Level 3, always nice. You always want Fighting on, since it boosts HP, unless things have drastically changed. This is also a nice time to talk about the possible specializations of HOPr. They generally have two possible paths by the end of the game. The first is a heavily armored Fighter with their own personal army (a very playable combination, especially since Beogh gives boosts for using orcish gear), or as a Charms master who boosts their orcish army with lovely spells like Haste. Personally, I think we should aim for the first, since it's a pain to build up Spellcasting, but it's really your choice.

I remember to change my allies' pickup behavior before I forget. They can now pick up anything, which makes them easier to equip.

After killing a hobgoblin, I'm rewarded with a second piety star and the ability to smite. "Whoa," you might think, "now you can smite everything like those annoying orc priests that killed Argem Bargem!" Well, not exactly. Smiting costs piety, and a fair amount of it. I'll reserve it for special situations, like uniques (especially uniques).

I'll take this sling along, if not for myself, orcs are pretty decent with ranged weapons, although they are better with branded bows or crossbows.

I also take this ring mail, even if it's not orcish. I need some armor skill if I'm going to go that route.

Level 3! When I tell you orcs are superior, I don't lie.

This is a bit of a hard call, but I think I'll go with INT, since we might eventually dabble in magic and orcs have naturally raising strength anyways.

Our first level cleared in the name of the Orc-Father.

I try testing my scrolls. None of them reveal anything. As a HOPr, you want to test scrolls ASAP before you get followers because the scroll of immolation (or the scroll of torment) will ruin your life if and when you find it. I think I'll use that to finish off this first part of the update
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:29:40 am by Un67 »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2011, 08:23:48 am »

Just a note: The exploit where meat rotting would de-poison-ify it or otherwise make it nasty was taken out around .6. You can't let kobold meat rot to eat it safely, unless for some reason kobolds aren't poisonous anymore.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:35 am »

In my fine, fine tradition, I take a picture of the first view of each floor. Those needles on the ground are frenzy, by the way, and berserk anything they hit. You can't use them on yourself, though, and hitting allies will make them hostile (?), so I don't think they'll be any real use to us.

An altar to The Shining One. We have no notice for lesser gods like him. Assume we desecrated this temple or something.

There's some scale mail here, but I think I'll wait until I see some orcish gear or my Armor skill rises.

Our first snake. One of my least favorite monsters in the game, after centaur warriors and gnolls.

Can you believe after firing half a dozen stones with the sling at it while it ran, none of them hit? I've had better luck just throwing them.

...it's funny how that right after I mentioned that I detested gnolls, a pack shows up. I bet a super-OOD centaur warrior is up next.

Another snake. Any donations to the "Crawl Hates Me" fund? On the bright side, lots of exp coming from this.

See, Level 4. Also, Dodging, which I'm less eager for. Also, notice that I've lost more then half of my HP. If it comes to it, I'll quaff the three-stack.

I try to do so when I get to 9 HP and it turns out to confusion. Funny how good advice turns out to be bad so suddenly. Then again, I probably shouldn't have been drinking un-ID'd potions, and I didn't really need the HP, but...

Classic Crawl.

Does rotting flesh count as treasure? On another note, I wish I had the scroll of fear identified.

I think I'm detecting a pattern, here.

Spoiler: Morgue File (click to show/hide)

Next up, Scalemate the Draconian Crusader SKALD

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2011, 09:11:44 am »

Looks like Orc Jesus just couldn't cut it. By the way, I finally thought of a name for the Deep Elf Ice Elementalist: Permafrost.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2011, 03:50:41 pm »

Instead of trying to drink unID'd potions, you should of just pillar danced. That long block slightly to your southeast looks just big enough to keep the snake from getting hits on you while dancing.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10