Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!  (Read 32375 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 02:12:26 pm »

The idea is that you'd get trapped in the deep water. After all, the walls are still basically shear cliffs.

Oh, and replace that Octopode CK with a regular old Demonspawn. Nyuck nyuck nyuck.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »

Aww, but I wanted to play a blinged out Octopode  :'(

Ah well, Demonspawn it is. I'll probably put the next update out tomorrow.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 09:52:03 am »

Update 2!

Queue:

Argem Bargem the Mummy Necromancer
___ the Demonspawn Chaos Knight
___ the Felid Wanderer
Kog Haltpast the Deep Dwarf Monk
Jill the Naga Wizard (Worshiping Nemelex)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We return to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup as Argem Bargem, the Mummy Necromancer.

Just to show once and for all that we cannot walk through deep water, in spite of our unbreathing mutation.

Here we get the first peek of D2. The game taunts me with potions that I can't drink.

Paining a bat gets us to level 3, yay!

Every three levels we get to raise a stat of our choice. I choose INT. ALWAYS choose INT if you ever intend to cast any spells.

A look at the memorization screen reveals that we now have enough spell levels to learn something. Yay! I pick Vampiric Draining, which is a decent spell, I'll go for Dispel Undead afterwards, and then finally Animate Dead. I'll ignore the other spells, they're not worth it.

DID I JUST FIND THAT? :D

What that curious blue thing is an altar of Sif Muna, the general god of magic. Gods are a big feature of Dungeon Crawl, and your choice of god is almost as important as race or background. You can join them at altars, of which most will be found in the Ecumenical Temple (I'll show you when we get there). However, not all fit and many are in "overflow" altars like this one. You can tell if a Sif overflow vault is present by the blue floor tiles. I got insanely lucky in finding this one, Sif Muna is indisputably the best god for mummies. She has a special ability allowing you to convert hunger into MP. Remember how we don't need to eat? Free MP. AWESOME. Sif also has decent book gifts and some other stuff, but hey, free MP.

This is the in-game description of Sif Muna. Also, notice at the bottom how it says "Sif Muna likes it when you train your various spell casting skills"? It means that we get piety (used for getting ranks which unlocks special powers and gifts, as well as actually using said powers) for Sif whenever we put EXP into magical spell skills. As a primary spellcaster, that's pretty easily done.

OH GREAT SIF MUNA, LOREMINDER AND KEEPER OF SECRETS, PLEASE ACCEPT ARGEM BARGEM, A HUMBLE MUMMY, INTO YOUR SERVICE!

We also upgrade our short sword into a snazzy sabre. Not such a huge deal, as a spellcaster, but it's better then nothing.

Then we do some more exploration and Paining of random dungeon trash. We also find a cloak, which is good. The more armor slots filled, the better.

And after a bit more exploration, we find our first wand! These things are handy, a good attack wand (fire/cold/draining) can trivialize any early-game threats, and some (healing/haste/teleportation) can be helpful all-game. Best way to test them is to zap them at a weak monster, like a rat.

A worm then came by, which I weakened with Pain before zapping the wand at it, just in case the wand was healing (which is awesome for mummies, since it cures rot). It's just confusion, however, which is marginally useful in the early game but pretty much useless afterwards.

I then killed the worm and some stupid dungeon monsters that came by to interrupt me, before exploring a tad bit more. Then we came to this vault, with one big fish zombie and one giant goldfish zombie, who attack you as you cross the bridge. On the other end, there is an altar to either Yred-something or Kiku-something, neither of which has anything on Sif for a mummy, although Kiku is nice for people who want to take up hybrid spellcasting.

I decide to ignore the place and put a travel exclusion here to prevent autoexplore dragging me back. It's really not worth my time, although if you need early game exp and have lots of range attacks to spare, you can take them out without them ever touching you. However, I really don't feel like throwing every stone and dart on the first two floors to them to take them out, and I can just come back later to bust them with Dispel Undead anyways.

A bit more exploration and I finish the level, bringing me conveniently to this spot. I think I'll try to identify my scrolls before moving on.

Doing so has unfortunately cursed some of my items, making them temporarily irremovable. Not such a huge deal when I find a scroll of remove curse, though.

Still, we know know the identity of most of our scrolls. D2 has been pretty kind to us, we've gained a level, taken up Sif Muna, identified some stuff, and NOT die to a random monster in the process! However, the next level will prove much more challenging, as *le gasp* actually dangerous monsters begin to spawn. But that's for next update.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 01:40:35 pm by Un67 »

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 09:59:20 am »

Heh. That altar was a pretty lucky get so early one.

Also, if I may suggest multiclassing into transmuter, at least for evaporate? Makes the pots you can't chug much more useful.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:04 am »

I suppose I could, but by the time I get an appropriate book, Distill/Evap will pretty much have lost all usefulness. Distill is mostly learned towards the midgame for mutation roulette, anyways, and I obviously can't do that.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:06 am »

Still. Whatever it is that useful potions become when evap'd is pretty decent for a backup weapon.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:22 pm »

Ehh, I guess I'll consider it, but it seems a bit unreliable. I wish they still had mummy rot curses, then I could abuse miasma horribly :(

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28:34 am »

Update 3!

Queue:

___ the Felid Wanderer

We return again to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup as Argem Bargem, the great mummy necromancer of Sif Muna. Note our snazzy new entrance message. Each god gets their own. The reason I have more than one is because I loaded once to get a picture of Argem Bargem for my new avatar.

This is our first peek of D3, and as you can see, it's bad already. Those guys with pig snouts are orcs, and they tend to come with good equipment in large packs, complete with an annoying smiting priest, casting mage, or bashing warrior.

I use an exploding dart to weaken two of them, but now one is right next to me along with a bat. I'll show you a really handy strategy...

Adjacent enemies follow you upstairs. This is extremely handy in separating hordes, a process known as stair scumming.

I kill it and go back downstairs, only to now be adjacent to three enemies. /facepalm That was a dumb move of mine, I should have simply gone to another staircase.

I try escaping back upstairs, but now I have a grand total of 5 hp. However, I do have a plan. Remember when we learned Vampiric Draining?

Better.

Plusbetter.

Doubleplusbetter. See? Doing this LP really is making me a better player! :P

I rest up and return. Because the evil I know is better then the one I don't, and also because I already kill all of the orcs.

I am, as always (haha not), victorious.

A bit more exploring and Paining later and I find a snake. These guys are quick, poisonous buggers, they are easily one of the most lethal early-game threats. Fortunately, I resist poison, but they will still hit fast and relatively hard.

However, it succumbs to Pain and I get a level in the process. Yay!

Victory dancing boosts my Spellcasting level to 2. Maybe I can actually learn another spell soon.

Still one level short of the good spells. Whatever, there's no rush.

A bit more exploring and we find our first unique! Uniques are special monsters with their own set of spells, equipment, and stats, very similar to players. They can be tough, especially the end game ones, but Jessica here is very wimpy and her only offensive spell can't even hurt me (Pain). Still, she might have a wand of fire/flame, and that would be bad.

It takes a grand total of two Pains to kill her and I get necro level 6 in the process. Yeah, she's officially a wimp.

A look at her stuff reveals only an enchanted dagger and a robe. Disappointing, she usually has a nice robe. I'll just move on.

After more exploring and Paining (the old routine), I get the Sif ability to channel mana by gaining some piety. Handy! I'll end up using this a lot.

Along the way, I also read-IDed a scroll of remove curse, which removed the curse off of my cloak and sabre. Now the level is clear and I'm ready to move on to D4 (in the next update, in my fine tradition). The RNG has been surprisingly generous so far, but I have a feeling that it will get a lot worse...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:32:11 am by Un67 »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 07:44:45 am »

Update 4!

Queue:

___ the Felid Wanderer

Welcome back to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup! In this episode, we'll take down D4 and maybe D5.

We take our first dip into D4, and...

SHIT

Seriously, this is the worst D4 ever. It's a huge open level, which means it's easy for things to mob you. There's a gnoll pack, which tends to hit hard and come with good weapons, and an orc pack, which has a priest and wizard for support. In this situation, the only good answer is RUN AWAY and go to another staircase. Luckily, none of them are beside us, so at least that's something.

This staircase is better, but still close to the large monster mob... I'll have to be careful.

A bit more to the southwest and I find a kobold with a blowgun and needles. Blowguns are handy, as poison is a nice finisher for retreating creatures, and curare needles slow and poison, which is simply awesome.

The battle with the kobold has apparently gotten the attention of the orcs. As long as they come one at a time, with Pain and Channel I should be fine.

Unfortunately, things never quite happen like that. It gets out of hand fast.

I take out most of the horde with confusion, channel, and generous use of Vampiric Draining, but now I'm cornered by an invisible orc wizard with no way to attack it and almost no HP. This is bad.

I manage to guess where it is and drain it, but then an orc priest comes over and decides that it's a good time to smite me. Needless to say, I die. :-[

These are our fabulous treasures...

And this is our rank on the scoreboard. #1 out of 1, doesn't that just boost everyone's ego? :P

Spoiler: Morgue File (click to show/hide)

Next up in this update: ___ the Demonspawn Chaos Knight!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:49:16 am by Un67 »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 08:41:26 am »

Queue:

___ (Made In China) the Demonspawn Chaos Knight
___ the Felid Wanderer

Here is our new character, Made In China the Demonspawn Chaos Knight. Made In China because followers of Xom are known as toys, and what's seemingly always made in China? (note that I'm Chinese, so for me it's some self-depreciating humor if anything). Anyways, Demonspawn Chaos Knight of Xom is the most random combination possible in a very random game. Why? Demonspawn randomly develop by a system of mutations, while Xom is a totally unpredictable god who will give you a ton of gifts one moment and kill you another. He's also amused by doing stupid things like drinking poison. Yeah, basically he's the in-game version of the player. Also, I chose the mace as my starting weapon. Why? Because the mace will allow us to use a demon whip effectively if and when I acquire one. Hopeless dreaming, I know. Also, our equipment starts out enchanted, which is handy, but not so enough that we will survive easily.

A bit of exploration and I find a ring. We didn't even see one with Argem Bargem, so this is something new. Rings and amulets form up the category of jewelry, and they tend to have useful effects. They can also have very negative ones, but hey, we're playing with Xom, let's be reckless.

Putting it on reveals nothing. A scroll of identify will show us what it is later.

This is our first enemy, a goblin.

It's easily dispatched. I also take the darts behind it.

Some jackals. These guys are quick and come in packs, they tend to turn spellcasters into snacks. (Yay, more rhyming. I'm such a poet, right?)

We take them out easily. I also gain Dodging skill in the process, I think I'll turn it off in favor of heavy armor.

Speaking of heavy armor, I find an orcish ring mail. I won't take it for now, however, the +2 enchantment on our leather armor will mean that we should keep it until we find something better.

Note that we can actually drink potions! Also, a hobgoblin.

We take it out along with a goblin friend and find a pair of gauntlets. Handy. (pun not intentional)

Here we interrupt the meal of an eccentric goblin and his pet rats, or at least from the monster's point of view. From ours, it's food and exp.

We gain level 2! No demonspawn mutations yet, though.

While resting, Xom creates a few altars to himself. I'm cool with that, he could have dumped a demon horde on me.

Then what I presume to be a flavor message.

Now he's getting bored, which is bad, since that causes bad things. The crackling thing is just flavor, though. Maybe if I quaff my potion, it might be poison or mutation and make him happier. Yep, only in a Xom run do you hear that.

It's just magic. Let's just continue and hope that no demon hordes are sent.

The game says yet again that he's getting bored. I think I get it by now, thank you very much. Then after I killed a few monsters, he told me that I'm a boring thing. I didn't get a screenshot, though, it was lost in the wave of combat messages.

He temporarily takes off one INT before deciding that he's mollified. That's good.

Then for most of the rest of the level, surprisingly nothing really interesting happens, not even any Xom actions. Until I come up to this. THIS is a worker ant, and it's tough, fast, and poisons. Not to mention that they shouldn't spawn until much later. This is something known as an out-of-depth monster, and it's bad. Running away might work, but it's still faster then me. So let's take the most crazy option and actually try to take it head-on, since we do worship Xom after all.

Surprisingly, I actually kill it and gain a level. For the stat choice, I go with STR, because I want to go with heavy armor.

I also get my first demonspawn mutation. The wave of death means that I get boosted regeneration when I'm around corpses, although they rot faster. Very handy, actually, although it would be better if I was with Kiku, since he offers corpse delivery.

Just showing off the mutation.

Xom decides to weaken me. Also, notice the "Hungry" and "Sick". If you eat contaminated food to try to appease hunger, there is a chance that it will make you sick, which weakens you and prevents healing. Annoying, to say the least. This is one of many things Argem Bargem didn't need to deal with.

After killing and eating somethings, I'm now a special plaything. Let's hope he actually does something good for once.

It wouldn't be Xom if he did that, however. Instead he summons three demons. This isn't as bad as it may look. The two most threatening ones are actually blocked by the bat and the least threatening one, so maybe I'll luck out with a scroll.

Fortunately, one is teleportation. Unfortunately, the soul eater, the toughest demon to my right, displaced the weaker demon and is right next to me now. I hope it fires in time...

Fortunately, it does. Crisis averted. I'm just going to go to the next level, these demons will disappear soon enough...

And so here I am on the downwards staircase. But of course, in my fine tradition, D2 and it's horrors is for my next update.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 11:58:05 am »

Quite exciting, waiting for more.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 04:24:41 pm »

Oh Xom, you card.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 10:27:35 am »

Update 5!

Queue:

___ (Made In China) the Demonspawn Chaos Knight
___ the Felid Wanderer

We return yet again to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup as a Demonspawn Chaos Knight. Hopefully Xom won't send demons to kill us in this update.

Our first peek of D2. Not so bad, at least so far.

I explore a bit before Xom decides to hurt me and mutate me negatively. Notice that he made me stupid and clever in the same set of mutations. Thanks, Xom. It really helped a lot. ::)

Then while resting he makes me stupider temporarily. Thanks again, Xom. Then again, I suppose you don't rest with Xom...

I take a risk and quaff-id my potion, and it turns out to be healing. Nice.

Some unguarded loot lying around, nice.

And our first unique, Ijyb. He's not particularly tough, he's just an early-game melee unique with a terrible name. He might have some painful wands, though, so watch out.

He goes down pretty easily. He doesn't have much in the way of loot, but he does have a potion of might, which is a nice buff.

Then Xom decides to mess around with my mutations again. This time I think he counteracted my earlier mutations, as well as give me poison spit. Poison spit will be handy, we can use it to poison things from a distance, which is invaluable in the early game.

I then took out a kobold with poison spit before I find this monster, a hound. They are pretty fast and reasonably tough for the early game, but I think I can win.

It take it out fairly easily and get an M&F level, as well as level up to 4, awesome.

I then get my demonspawn mutation, which amuses Xom. The mutation I got was scroll conservation, which is handy but not particularly so.

Then I do more boring exploration before Xom declares that the Dungeon needed more atmosphere. Uh, thanks, Xom. I'll keep you in mind when I need interior designing advice.

...oh, so that's what he did. That's really interesting, actually, I've never seen that before. Also, a helmet. Free AC, yay.

Then all of a sudden Xom thinks I've displeased him and Pains me. What? Really?

I then quaff-id a few potions in case it can make Xom happier or one of them is heal wounds. No such luck.

I then try to go to the next staircase, when Xom decides to hurt me again and give me red glow, which is very, very bad. Yellow glow or above, accumulated through magical miscasts or overuse of magical enchantments, usually causes very bad mutations. I have no real choice but to wait it out.

I then take a bit of damage and get poisoned as I wait it off. Because I have low HP, I drink a potion of healing.

Then my first glow mutation. A DEX boost, surprisingly, and not something that will totally destroy my character like teleportitis, berserkitis, or shoutitis (there are a lot of -itis mutations).

Then my next mutation, slow healing. This is actually not too terrible, our powered by death mutation should counter it for the most part.

Finally, the glowing stops. That could have gone a lot worse. I then go to the downward staircase.

Then, just for fun to cap off this update, our mutation set.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:13:03 pm by Un67 »

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 01:39:04 pm »

this is fun.
how long do you think this one will survive?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 01:43:54 pm »

Depends on my luck, pretty much. This character is pretty tough, all things considered, but some Xom effects will be pretty much inescapable barring extreme luck and will kill him right then and there (demon horde, banishment to the Abyss, etc.). In the end, however, I doubt this character will get too far in the game, Xom is just not a viable god. If you guys let me dump him eventually for someone actually useful later, like Kiku or Trog, he might actually survive, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10