Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!  (Read 32373 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play... Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup!
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »

Xom's a totally viable god, you just have to be able to survive all the nasty stuff he does. In other words, you have to be in the midgame already. What you get out of Xom is a slow accumulation of gifts and positive mutations. If you don't get those, you die, so consider it natural selection.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 02:28:09 pm »

I suppose, but the thing is I doubt that this one character will survive all of that. We'll see, though.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:36 am »

I suppose, but the thing is I doubt that this one character will survive all of that. We'll see, though.

Yeah, Xom's not really good as a starter god. Even the Devteam think starting with him is only for shits and giggles.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23:07 am »

Update 6!

Queue:

___ (Made In China) the Demonspawn Chaos Knight
___ the Felid Wanderer
Kog Haltpast the Deep Dwarf Monk
Jill the Naga Wizard (Worshiping Nemelex)

We again return to our Let's Play of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. We'll take out D3 and D4, time and survival permitting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our first peek of D3. A nice and clear corridor leading to a staircase, this will make a good retreat point.

In the process of exploring, I reach "Near Starving". I need to find a corpse fast lest I waste my rations.

Really, Crawl? Could I have expected any less of you?

I take them out by drinking a potion of speed and might. Use consumables liberally, saving them will likely lead to your death.

Apparently, according to Xom, food poisoning is funny.

While trying to rest off the sickness, Xom barrages me with rocks, but at least it's not demons again. I'll just quaff a potion of healing, I don't want Xom to start getting antsy on me again.

I think I just walked into poison hell. No point in running, snakes are faster then me and even with the potion of speed they'll still catch up to me until I get somewhere.

Level 5, this is promising. It doesn't come with any mutations or stat boosts, though.

Naturally, the only corpse that's dropped is poisonous. Thanks, Crawl. I do take the blowgun and needles, though, it will be handy.

And our first wand! Good, this might be useful.

Notice that I said "might be".

...Crawl really is out to kill me. Say hello to Grinder, folks, he's the worst early-game unique nowadays, worse then the infamous Sigmund. He paralyses you and then beats you to death while Paining you, and blinks away if he's in trouble. Oh, and he's immune to poison (and thus Mephitic Cloud). Nasty, nasty, nasty. I could try running, but he would probably get me with paralysis anyways. Let's just try to kill him for the hell of it.

I put a nice speed difference between us with a wand of slowing and a potion of speed, and now might actually be a good time to run. Still, a Xom follower wouldn't do that, would they?

I know, I'm an idiot, please proceed to berate me. If I was playing as any other character, I probably would have done exactly that, but hey, Xom.

These are our fabulous treasures...

And this is our rank among our two characters. Slightly worse then Argem Bargem, not particularly surprised.

Spoiler: Morgue File (click to show/hide)

Next up, the Felid Wanderer.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:41:42 am by Un67 »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:13 am »

Queue:

___ (Dwarf Adopter) the Felid Wanderer

(Someone would do well to give more suggestions, we'll going through characters kinda fast.)

I decide to name our newest hero Dwarf Adopter. Not a terribly creative (or good) name, but it hardly matters since I doubt our hero will survive that long. Anyways, we're playing a Felid, which if you've read the race descriptions means that we will play a sentient cat. It's better then it sounds, actually, although we have no armor, weapons, or wands, we're pretty decent at magic and unarmed combat, are fast, can eat meat while not hungry, and get extra lives, in the ultimate roguelike sacrilege. However, we're a Wanderer, which means what we get at the start is completely random. This could be good, or very very bad. I think it'll be very very bad.

Our new hero. Isn't he aww-dorable? Also, note the total lack of HP and MP. This will be a rough (and hopefully quick) ride.

Our skills are actually pretty decent. We start with more UC then a Monk and we have Traps and Doors, which is an extremely handy skill that should always be on. I'll show you why one day or another.

We find a scroll of teleportation under some fungus. Wanderers can recognize items, mostly beneficial ones. Handy, if anything.

Here we meet our ancient enemy, the rat. Let's hope our low HP won't cause us to die.

Our Carnivore instincts at work.

An annoying kobold with a sword and darts. We should probably back up and let it close in on us to minimize damage.

Works like a charm. All his stuff is useless, however.

Yeah, this isn't good. Let's go into the corridor.

They go down and we don't even get scratched. We're awesome. (More like insanely lucky.)

Some more exploration and we get a level and find an altar to Okawaru. Okawaru is the god of war and battle, and his big draw is weapon and armor gifts. Useless to a Felid, you might say? Not exactly. Okawaru gives two good invokable abilities, and one of them, Heroism, gives a big boost to UC characters. In addition, he allows branching on to magic, unlike Trog. I think I'll end this update here, actually, on a vote. Shall we take Okawaru or wait for someone more useful?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:09 am »

Is it just me, or do the first four images in update 6 not work?
Also, yeah, go for the god.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 10:42:12 am »

Apparently it has to be [img] in the BBcode, and not [image]. Fixed.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 10:51:31 am »

No Okawaru, do Trog.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 11:09:24 am »

I say we go for the good old Troll Beserker, and kick the shit out of the early game.

And yeah, find a Trog altar. Trog's awesome.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 06:02:19 pm »

No, don't go trog. Go with Okawaru, and then branch into transmutations.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 06:38:51 pm »

What madness you lot speak. Jiyva is obviously the god to reach for. We need tentacle cat.

Other choices of awesome include Elyvilon and Lugonu, for great hilarity.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 06:44:23 pm »

What madness you lot speak. Jiyva is obviously the god to reach for. We need tentacle cat.
But that will ruin our one and only chance to commit deicide!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2011, 07:27:55 pm »

That's a given, and also very far away.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 09:43:50 am »

Update 7!

Queue:

___ (Dwarf Adopter) the Felid Wanderer
___ the Troll Berserker

Since the consensus seems to be against Okawaru, with 3 votes against 2, we'll just move on and take up another god. Personally I prefer to take whatever opportunities are available, but whatever, we move on.

Some exploration and I find my first ring! These are essential to Felids, as they have only three slots after all. I'll burn some scrolls at the end of this level to try to identify it.

It's not long until the level is fully explored.

A scroll of detect curse reveals that it's uncursed. Good enough reason for me to try it on, some rings auto-identify.

Still no clue. Gotta read more scrolls.

A ring of teleport control is always awesome. This will let escape, get into some vaults, a lot of handy functions.

I now recognize these items. All are good to know.

First peek of D2, not so bad.

And the first snake. This could be bad, poison with such low HP could be guaranteed death. I run away, and put an exclusion on it for good measure.

Teleport control at work. Teleport traps are handy for people with teleport control like us, it's an infinite and instant source of teleports for us.

We finally gain Dodging, so we can start to get some decent Evasion for once.

We also gain Stealth. Some might advise turning it off, but I suggest keeping it on, Stealth is essential for escaping from bad situations before they get bad.

Level 3, yay! I put the point into INT, I have a feeling we might start casting one day or another, even if we go into Trog like some have suggested. Personally, I think Kiku is our best shot, but to each to his own...

Feeling confident, I kill the snake and butcher it for great justice.

That concludes this level and this update of Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Next update, D3!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:40 am »

I like watching people play this game. Can't wait for the next update :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10