Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1231403 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:44:42 am »

So, I was asking around for awesome new roguelikes in the Roguebasin IRC, and the creator of this awesome game suggested it to me.

Cataclysm is basically a zombie survival game. You must hurry to find clothing, a decent gun, and hide in a house with the doors closed. But don't worry, the zombies WILL find you.

One of the most impressive things I found about the game is the skills and stats and such. Damage is tracked across the different parts of your body. Pain will negatively affect your stats. Also, you can only hold so many items depending on how many pockets, ect. you have. You can hold a LOT more with a backback or bag of some sort, but this will usually encumber your torso. (Oh yeah, body parts have seperate functions and all are encumbered by armor.)

You gain XP by having a high morale, which is improved by drugs and such you find lying around. But be careful, as they can have some nasty effects and addictions as well.

It's currently in alpha, and continually being developed, but it's an awesome game as it stands.

Spoiler: Screenie (click to show/hide)

LINKS:
Roguebasin (with directions to play on SSH!): http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Cataclysm

Source Download: http://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm

Guide to connecting via SSH with the private key in PuTTY:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Windows Version: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=554.0

Official Forum Link: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php

Linux Emulator and Instructions: http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php?topic=95.0

Video Showing Emulator Use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yupcgG0OobU&feature=colike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:15:59 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:49:13 am »

Looks like an awesome game, I'll try it out!
P.S. What distro is that in the screenie?

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 01:51:04 am »

Just had a quick look at the entry at roguebasin and it is indeed a sweet looking game. Gonna try it out!

Damn this lack of leisure time.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:51:59 am »

This is kind of exactly like what somebody requested a little while ago. The "sandbox-roguelike-zombie-survival" thread, I think. Sounds like fun!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:09:12 am »

Looks like an awesome game, I'll try it out!
P.S. What distro is that in the screenie?
It's called Easy Peasy, previously known as UbuntuEEE, it's a special modified Ubuntu for the EEEPC netbook. Unless the imagehost resized it that screenshot is my entire screen size XD.

And yeah, it is an awesome game. Tip: if you want to survive you better press "m" (for main map) and find a weapon shop to raid. Pots and pans won't help for long! And make sure to balance need for inventory with encumbrance...too much on any body part leads to MASSIVE issues in fights.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:18:16 am »

Can someone setup a directions list (Ie. 1. 2. 3.) to play on windows? This is really confusing, I'm trying to connect but I get a Disconnected: No Supported Authentication methods available. message

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:42:48 am »

To play on SSH, (instructions assume you are using PuTTY, otherwise I have no clue):

Go to the preferences page for SSH -> Auth
In the box that says Use Private Key something or other, select the file downloaded here: http://eronarn.info/multirobin_key (if it opens in your browser, just File -> Save As...)

Then connect to the server as normal.

EDIT:
You want to log in with the username 'cataclysm'. It shouldn't ask for a password, I don't think.

Or you could just do what I did and download and compile it :).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:45:38 am by quinnr »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:52:44 am »

Can someone upload that .ppk file to mediafire or something? It keeps opening in my browser and even when I use file>save as or saving the link it STILL doesn't work, I get the message not a private key.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:08:15 am »

Try to edit out the part in the beginning that says "---START OF RSA PRIVATE KEY--" and possibly at the end too if there is something similar. If that doesn't work post and I'll try to get it to work on my computer, haven't tried it on PuTTY yet.

Anyways, I found a Science Lab, does anyone know if the ID cards off the dead bodies near by can actually be used on the ID card reader? Or is it broken or something? It's made of metal walls and doors, so grenades and smashing won't help..and my gun (found it in my basement! :D) ran out of ammo while I was fooling around with the ID cards and now I have no weapon.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:13:09 am »

Try to edit out the part in the beginning that says "---START OF RSA PRIVATE KEY--" and possibly at the end too if there is something similar. If that doesn't work post and I'll try to get it to work on my computer, haven't tried it on PuTTY yet.

Anyways, I found a Science Lab, does anyone know if the ID cards off the dead bodies near by can actually be used on the ID card reader? Or is it broken or something? It's made of metal walls and doors, so grenades and smashing won't help..and my gun (found it in my basement! :D) ran out of ammo while I was fooling around with the ID cards and now I have no weapon.
It's not working.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:18:19 am »

Alright, I'll look at it in just a sec.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:27:39 am »

Alright, so you have to download PuTTYgen from the same website and then do Conversions -> Import File..
select that same file, and then hit Save Private Key...

Open THAT converted file for the security key option in PuTTY. Connecting should work fine.
You will have to expand the terminal size, the default is too small, then press spacebar and it should go.

Adding directions to first post.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:44:49 am »

Thanks! It's working!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 11:57:38 am »

No problem, have fun :)

Also, you can escape the tutorial with all the nice stuff it has and play normally. Kudos if you can figure out how ;)

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

Wow, looks like an awesome game. Just wish I could play it locally.

Anyway, what's the font you're using?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 777