Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1245926 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11145 on: August 08, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »

Does it crash in all basements or just the starting one?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11146 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »

All, including caves, labs, and mines in my experience.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11147 on: August 09, 2012, 05:22:12 am »

So I had an awesome character going today.  Did the quest for the NPC I first spawned next to, and found that he had a ton of skills to teach.  All but two, I think.  So I gathered up all the supplies I could find, hid with him in a gun shop, and kept selling him all the guns and training skills.  Had exactly the two guns left that I wanted by the time that was over, and had trained everything up to at least level 3.  A couple went all the way to level 8.  That NPC got themselves shortly afterwards, and I got all the guns back, plus a desert survival CBM they happened to be carrying.  Found myself a quad bike, and went out looking for a secluded place to set up base.  I felt ready to take on the world with this character.

Then I got waylaid by some random person who ran out of the forest.  I slowed down to talk and they told me to drop my weapon.  I said fuck that and sped off.  Then when I was 4 or 5 whole screen lengths away from them, they somehow whacked me in the eyes four times with a baseball bat in a single turn and insta-sploded me.   FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU----

I should have just run the fucker down.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11148 on: August 09, 2012, 06:02:00 am »

wait ... we can actually see what's farther than the screen ?!?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11149 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05:31 am »

No.  That was just an estimate, based on how quickly I appeared to be getting away from him before he disappeared off-screen.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11150 on: August 09, 2012, 06:22:44 am »

You can, with the right mod. I wonder how many people use this thread only for their cataclysm info. It has it's own site(that also means it has forums![shocking, isn't it?]) With all kinds of nifty thingies.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11151 on: August 09, 2012, 10:59:40 am »

most people seem to know about the forums.

most people seem to tend to like roaming around this thread, instead.

This thread feels like home (as bay12 is home?). You need to have some reason to sign up to new forums, for me it was a mod otherwise I'd probably still be just here.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11152 on: August 09, 2012, 11:48:22 am »

Bay12 is a one stop shop in many ways. Making a mod really got me as a user in the Cataclysm forum. It was somewhat necessary. I was reading the forum for a week or more before that.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11153 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »

I know there's an extended view button, but I forgot what it was, so I never use it. :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11154 on: August 09, 2012, 12:32:48 pm »

This thread is handy because it's general discussion thread about cataclysm.  The cataclysm board has it's own general discussion section, but no thread that is just general discussion.  This thread serves that purpose nicely.

In the process of dissasemmbeling my car to turn it into a more space efficient custom car "rolling coffin", a hoard showed up at my base.  I figure I'm toast, they are coming from all directions, and there are too many spitters fasts and shockers.  Theres even a hulk.

I drop my tools and plan on booking it to the entrance of my base for a last stand when I have a sudden realization.  The mostly stripped car is still drivable.  It's missing a wheel, but it can drive with 3, and most of the passenger side is gone, but it still has an engine, still has a seat and controls, still has enough wheels...

So I spend a good half an hour flattening zeds in half a car, until I blew a tire on a brute, but at that point the zeds were reduced down to a manageable level.  I just had this mental image of this crazy redneck mechanic driving half a car over zombies, firing a handgun out the missing back while the last back wheel keeping the entire thing drivable is held on with duct tape, twist ties and what's left of the drivers side back door.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11155 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:23 pm »

By the way, credit to the Cataclysm forums, here's a hotfix for the basement crash for the Windows verison: http://mod.gib.me/cataclysm/cataclysm.exe

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11156 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »

Been experimenting with Android characters.  Got one who started out with metabolic interchange and hydraulic muscles.  Punch a few zombies for insta-kill damage.  Eat a sandwich.  Repeat.  This rocks.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11157 on: August 09, 2012, 08:39:22 pm »

Been experimenting with Android characters.  Got one who started out with metabolic interchange and hydraulic muscles.  Punch a few zombies for insta-kill damage.  Eat a sandwich.  Repeat.  This rocks.
Until you run out of sandwich 10 minutes later.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11158 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:41 pm »

Until you run out of sandwich 10 minutes later.
I must eat but sandwich too slow!
Eat zombies om nom. The direct damage poisoning tends to be a lot less worse than food poisoning for some reason, so much that any debuffs you get are kinda completely counteracted by the hydraulic muscles, or could just be easily waited out.
With food poisoning you vomit everywhere and are substantially slower, with general stat debuffs. Tainted meat usually just poisons iirc, which occasionally does direct damage but shouldn't be a problem unless you're about to die. Also, stat debuffs, but it's not like -3/-2 str is significant with hydraulic limbs.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:42:24 pm by iceball3 »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11159 on: August 09, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »

The only fuel source I ever select is the Internal Furnace, the I just ignore any other powersource CBMs.  I guess or battery couldn't hurt to add -- but I'd rather not risk the damage from failure on something that isnt as usefull.  2x4's or heavy sticks are always easy to get -- though I guess batteries could be handy for topping off in the middle of combat.

I managed to start with a cloaking bionic this time, and have no idea what CBM it comes from.  Never seen one previously.  Costs a fortune in power to run it though, and useless against aural or thermo or scent critters.
Pages: 1 ... 742 743 [744] 745 746 ... 777