Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1245879 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #11190 on: August 11, 2012, 11:03:21 am »

It does make a little bit of sense to not be able to store stuff in a seat.  It's not really secured.  A quick stop and that stuff would be flying everywhere.  I for one wouldn't be putting a glass bottle of mutagen in my car seat during normal traffic, let alone during a game of bowling for zombies.

The car's frame slams into the zombie!
The spinning box of tissues strikes you in the head from the side shattering the skull and tearing the brain through the riot helmet!
You are dead!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: August 11, 2012, 11:19:23 am »

I think even the trunks should be able to store more.  I'm sure the trunk of my car could carry several hundred bottles of pills :P

It's just a minor gripe, though.

Eventually I'll get a successful enough character that I'll custom build some super-storage car.  I just haven't got that far yet.  I haven't even touched structure building in the slightest yet.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: August 11, 2012, 12:04:42 pm »

Managed to survive for almost 2 days. Had on me a pretty decent supply of coffee and tea for some reason*. Picked up a Mac-10 and a USP, plus a bunch of .45ACP from one house. I guess the guy was a gun nut. Ran from a riduculous swarm of zombies which had several fasts, a shocker, shrieker, boomer, necromancer, and a brute the kept up the chase for a while until I seperated it from the horde and took it down with the USP.

Then I got killed by a graboid because I failed to notice I walked off the pavement while I was running.

I also learned that throwing wooden spears is good for hunting, though it took a while to bring down a deer. Worth it, though. That deer was tasty. Never saw a single car, though.

*Reason: Stay away from my caffiene or I will f&@king end you.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: August 11, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »

I think even the trunks should be able to store more.  I'm sure the trunk of my car could carry several hundred bottles of pills :P

It's just a minor gripe, though.

Eventually I'll get a successful enough character that I'll custom build some super-storage car.  I just haven't got that far yet.  I haven't even touched structure building in the slightest yet.

Trunks don't act like player inventory, which is odd, but works better than player inventory if you want to remove one or two things and not a stack of things. You can add trunks/boxes to almost anything.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: August 11, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »

Thanks to that post, I have a newfound hate, respect, and love for blobs.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: August 11, 2012, 07:59:00 pm »

side note about trunks, the problem is that they can only carry a limited number of stuff because of the way the inventory system itself is coded in game, as in it uses 26 letters iirc.

the trunks are slightly different and don't know how to handle stacks, splitting the stack into seperate items.

so instead of being limited by volume, the trunks are limited by number, which is what causes the issue.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: August 12, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

Shooting zombies is awesome. Until they swarm you that is.

Awesome. I found a crossbow
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:29:44 am by Vgray »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: August 13, 2012, 03:42:39 am »

Zombies that manage to climb into the car isn't any kind of problem right now, as they'll magically be run over when you start driving. That kind of takes the danger out of it.

I've been attempting to allow NPCs to walk around moving vehicles without dieing, mostly because they are stupid and like to do things like leave their seat to pickup food. Once thats working I can't see it being a big change for that to work with critters of all types to be honest.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:20 pm »

Diy Gas mask, from plastic bottle and cloth. could be added to game with decent encuberace to show its crude.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
how to shrink image with html coding?
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11199 on: August 13, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »

I doubt a bit of cloth would protect you from anything serious (no more so than just holding cloth over your mouth, anyway), and you couldn't get a proper seal on your face with a plastic bottle. All that would do is make you look silly while you choke and the zombies eat you.

An improvised gas mask might be possible, but it would need something to actually filter the air in between the cloth - like crushed charcoal and baking soda or something similar - as well as a way to properly seal it over your face (diving mask + snorkel maybe?).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: August 13, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »

You can already craft a gas mask. ???

I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

The problem is that you can only store things in "the trunk". Were it reality, you could just throw your new welder and sandwiches in the passenger side floor and drive away, but since game doesn't recognise what's in the car as moving with it or even any difference between "car floor" and "ground below car"...

You can always replace that seat with a trunk.
Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: I've since added 4 more boxes over the wheels. :)

The trick to using trunks & boxes is to stick all the big heavy stuff in em; a plastic bottle collection will fill them up quick. It is quite possible to build vehicles with almost as much storage capacity as your cave, heh.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11202 on: August 13, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »

You can already craft a gas mask. ???

I was thinking you could already, but couldn't remember (it's been a long time since I played a char that bothered with tailoring skill).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:52 pm »

So it's a pair of ski goggles that draws air through a hose, I'm guessing into the nose chamber of the goggles, and the other end of the hose goes into one end of a muffler, that is somehow used to clean the air.  Likely all held together with duct tape.

I think I'll take the plastic bottle stuffed with rags please.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11204 on: August 14, 2012, 08:41:53 am »

So it's a pair of ski goggles that draws air through a hose, I'm guessing into the nose chamber of the goggles, and the other end of the hose goes into one end of a muffler, that is somehow used to clean the air.  Likely all held together with duct tape.

I think I'll take the plastic bottle stuffed with rags please.
Well, if you can get your hands on a relatively clean muffler, they ARE supposed to clean out quite a lot of contaminants from the air iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 777