Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1234780 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4650 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »

Find a bear trap in a sports store and get trapping skill. They make a good amount of noise, enough to wake you up, but not quite so much as to attract a ton of zombies. They stop zombies in their tracks, and if the trap is in a doorway it stops entire hordes. You can pick up a triggered trap once the zombie is dead without moving using e and then replace it for the next zombie.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4651 on: August 06, 2011, 12:56:58 pm »

In other news, I just found a beehive that spawned on the edge of a city. theres a road going through the middle, and a couple of houses, leaving a single tile of isolated beehive across the road from three tiles of hive. I decided to hang out nearby, kill some bees, and look around, when I made an amazing discovery - BEE STINGERS. they have better damage than the wood spear, attack significantly faster, and, most amazing of all: they only take up a single volume and no weight. In other words, they're perfect as both thrown weapons, and as my main weapon. I just wish i could get like, the stinger from a super bee for my melee weapon or something.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

erick1294

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: August 06, 2011, 01:16:19 pm »

I tried this game but I found it really fucking difficult. everytime i walk a while i get ambushed by about 20 enemies from every direction. Am i just playing a difficult mod or something? i only manage to kill about 10 enemies
You should try the online version, its harder but there are less enemies and its faster to build your fort that way.

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: August 06, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

Well, I've tried Fraps and I've tried CamStudio. Neither has worked. Though I suppose if I recorded the entire desktop via Fraps, that might do it..

I just don't want my whole desktop in the video. I wonder if I could just crop it..
It's really easy to crop it in more sophisticated video editing problems (that is, anything but Windows Movie Maker :P)

I'd reccomend Adobe Premiere, since Sony Vegas lags like shit.

I may wind up doing just that. :) INDEED I was using WMM for basic stuff, 'cause I don't know jack about video editing. For real basic stuff, think I could learn Adobe Premiere, assuming I can 'acquire' a copy?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: August 06, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »

Well, I've tried Fraps and I've tried CamStudio. Neither has worked. Though I suppose if I recorded the entire desktop via Fraps, that might do it..

I just don't want my whole desktop in the video. I wonder if I could just crop it..
It's really easy to crop it in more sophisticated video editing problems (that is, anything but Windows Movie Maker :P)

I may wind up doing just that. :) INDEED I was using WMM for basic stuff, 'cause I don't know jack about video editing. For real basic stuff, think I could learn Adobe Premiere, assuming I can 'acquire' a copy?

If you can use a computer without accidentally deleting system32, you can learn the basics of Premiere. Obviously more advanced topics like Pooping take time, but cropping is easy enough.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: August 06, 2011, 01:22:06 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cataclysm+roguelike seems to have very relevant results.
My posting here, and development speed, will be greatly slowed over the next couple weeks as I'm dealing with some family issues.  Thanks to everyone for your interest and support!

I consumed them already! xD
Anyway that's very understandable, take your time!
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: August 06, 2011, 01:25:42 pm »

Hmm, I am sorry I cannot help, I just know of the poor Linux video capturing stuff (HINT: for linux users, at least to record footage from my own games, "tibesti" seems to be the best and most youtube-friendly)
Either way some players there already posted entire desktops, they are a bit harder to watch but I can take that.  I don't think other youtubers would be as friendly about it though...
Alternatively just capture everything and crop during editing.

I wish SSH allowed spectators like Crawl.

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: August 06, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »

If you can use a computer without accidentally deleting system32, you can learn the basics of Premiere. Obviously more advanced topics like Pooping take time, but cropping is easy enough.

Bwaha, that's what I figured. I think I'll be alright then. Thanks for the advice.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: August 06, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »

Mite b possible to reroute it through telnet. Then it'd allow for spectators.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: August 06, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »

Mite b possible to reroute it through telnet. Then it'd allow for spectators.
That'd be just lovely.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: August 06, 2011, 01:56:39 pm »

I would rather go for replay files (with comments) like some of the other roguelikes have in the past.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4661 on: August 06, 2011, 02:07:54 pm »

Heh, the spawning system in this game could use some work. Just had a huge swarm of monsters spawn inside my safe house's bathroom while sleeping. The entire bathroom (which was a large one with 2 doors, no windows) was crammed full of monsters. I counted 32, and the bathroom is only 9x4 and one square has a toilet. Guess I picked a bad safe house on top of a monster spawn area.

Ran out of ammo shooting them and had to use my combat knife on the last few, nearly died. Had two necromancers, a hulk, couple brutes, couple spitters, an electric, 3 fast ones, lots of normal ones, a bear, as well as some assorted ants, a fungaloid, and a fungus zombie. Used my grenade and a bunch of burst fire from my SMGs just to survive.

Not much point in a boarded up safe house if stuff is going to just poof from nowhere inside the most secure room of it (no windows in it or the room before it, to get there from outside they'd have to bash down a boarded up window and two doors, or 4 doors). Not sure if they all just spawned in there while sleeping or if they had been building up without me realizing it until they decided to bust out, I hadn't opened those doors in a couple days. Not sure what to do now. In excruciating pain with serious injuries all over my body. Took some tramadol since it's the best pain med I have but it doesn't seem to be helping much, and my small supply of bandages and first aid barely dented my injuries. Never had a char so badly injured without dieing, most of my body was down to single digits. Guess I'll board myself into the room with a bunch of food and try to heal up, all the doors to it are busted anyway. Can always sledge hammer my way out when I'm healed enough to make a run for it.

If the char wasn't so badass he wouldn't have survived. He's a bit of an experiment of mine, started him with 20 str 5 dex 8 int 6 perception with fleet footed, pack mule, robust genetics, near sighted, bad back, and asthmatic. Have drank probably 40 purifiers and probably about the same of mutagen, some from raiding labs some from random science corpses and some from looting my other chars who stockpiled them before dieing. Got TONS of mutations, bad and good, and then cleared them all with purifiers except some that don't get cured. It left me with some nice bonuses - got Quick, Light Eater, Pain Resistant, and Night Vision. I had Regeneration, but lost it along with all the bad ones using purifiers. Also pumped my stats up to 21, 9, 16, 11. I had 24 strength at one point but a string of bad mutations dropped it back down. I'm surprised I never developed anything uncureable, like schizo. I had just about every other terrible mutation in my list before I cleansed them all with purifiers.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: August 06, 2011, 02:15:12 pm »

Going on a run into town, dropping my stuff for melee combat. A spitter then spews acid and melts my entire kit. FFFFUUUUUUUUUU--

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: August 06, 2011, 02:33:27 pm »

I would rather go for replay files (with comments) like some of the other roguelikes have in the past.
That's also a very good alternative, specially with comments.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4664 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:19 pm »

Having your clothing ripped up really sucks. Here I am, doing fine, when oop-my utility vests are gone! and Im over encumbered! and the bees that couldn't touch me before are murdering me! oh noes!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 777