Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1245858 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4665 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »

In other news, I just found a beehive that spawned on the edge of a city. theres a road going through the middle, and a couple of houses, leaving a single tile of isolated beehive across the road from three tiles of hive. I decided to hang out nearby, kill some bees, and look around, when I made an amazing discovery - BEE STINGERS. they have better damage than the wood spear, attack significantly faster, and, most amazing of all: they only take up a single volume and no weight. In other words, they're perfect as both thrown weapons, and as my main weapon. I just wish i could get like, the stinger from a super bee for my melee weapon or something.

Wasp stingers are even better.

Also throwing rulez. I always keep a few items of silverware on me (killed a bunch of zombies with butter knives). Are spoons in yet? I want to become "The Blue Raja" and kill enemies with thrown spoons.

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: August 06, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »

I would rather go for replay files (with comments) like some of the other roguelikes have in the past.
That's also a very good alternative, specially with comments.

Just like the whole 'lets play' culture boomed in the last few years, way back replay files of roguelikes were a blast to watch, given the procedural content and all, people would add humorous notes to comment on whats going on it was great, quite sure that this could be done with little effort. (given the terminal interface) We could start exchanging our more exciting adventures here as I'm sure note making is something most would certainly not shy away from, letsplaying itself being a tad too intimidating for most most I'd imagine. 

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: August 06, 2011, 04:46:06 pm »

Is there an easy way to change the font the game uses? The v's and u's look similar enough that it resulted in me drinking bleach instead of using a bandage.

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: August 06, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »

Is there an easy way to change the font the game uses? The v's and u's look similar enough that it resulted in me drinking bleach instead of using a bandage.

Top it off with some ammonia!  ;D

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: August 06, 2011, 04:57:01 pm »

Ran out of ammo shooting them and had to use my combat knife on the last few, nearly died. Had two necromancers, a hulk, couple brutes, couple spitters, an electric, 3 fast ones, lots of normal ones, a bear, as well as some assorted ants, a fungaloid, and a fungus zombie. Used my grenade and a bunch of burst fire from my SMGs just to survive.

Did you check the room after? Hulks can bash through walls I believe, so the fact that there were no windows isn't actually something that would stop them. It would have been strange for them to have been building up so long without trying to bash free earlier...

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: August 06, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »

Very-spoilerish question. Don't read if you haven't explored the game!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: August 06, 2011, 05:46:52 pm »

I would rather go for replay files (with comments) like some of the other roguelikes have in the past.
That's also a very good alternative, specially with comments.

Just like the whole 'lets play' culture boomed in the last few years, way back replay files of roguelikes were a blast to watch, given the procedural content and all, people would add humorous notes to comment on whats going on it was great, quite sure that this could be done with little effort. (given the terminal interface) We could start exchanging our more exciting adventures here as I'm sure note making is something most would certainly not shy away from, letsplaying itself being a tad too intimidating for most most I'd imagine.

Yeah, I was there *nostalgia goggles*, although I never happened to find a good source of long-ish movies for any other game than the nethack. Never dwelled outside RGRD for long, really.
Personally, I think commentary is great for sandbox or unpredictable games so you can follow the game better. A game like...cataclysm, to be precise! xD

I just happen to have a little custom of, when hooked to a game, watch footage of it (or as background while I do something else). Time to watch is also easier to find than time to actually play...
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4672 on: August 06, 2011, 07:07:29 pm »

So I was holding down a move key, and I figured it's be okay, seeing as I was only going a couple of worldmap tiles over, but nope. Suddenly, Wolves! Four of them. Out of nowhere. I've never seen more than one wolf at a time before. YASD.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: August 06, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »

Run mode. It's a life-saver.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4674 on: August 06, 2011, 07:46:15 pm »

It was only a few tiles! What are the chances!  :'(

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: August 06, 2011, 07:56:47 pm »

It was only a few tiles! What are the chances!  :'(

All of them.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: August 06, 2011, 08:05:07 pm »

Very-spoilerish question. Don't read if you haven't explored the game!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Very-spoilerish answer (click to show/hide)
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: August 06, 2011, 08:14:23 pm »

Yeah I go to run mode almost ALWAYS if it's more than a couple tiles now, let alone "a couple of worldmap tiles".  Something fast and dark like wolves I might not even see before they're killing me.  I want max time to check encumbrance and weapons, and maybe a pick-me-up or 2...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: August 06, 2011, 08:20:01 pm »

Maybe it has already been suggestee, but how about  backgrounds determining some bonuses and/or where you start? Eg, a doctor might start at a hospital, a soldier at a military base, and so on....
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:46 pm »

Shovel is slightly OP. I saw a brute coming for me, dug a hole in front of me and killed it when it fell in.
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 777