Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1245634 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4680 on: August 06, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »

Shovel is too fast and has little cost atm, yeah
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

This has probably been answered before, but it's strangely not in the game's help, and I'm not going to read through 315 pages.

How do you use the XP "pool" you get?
Is there a way to give better equipment to squad-mates? What about food?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: August 06, 2011, 09:02:42 pm »

This has probably been answered before, but it's strangely not in the game's help, and I'm not going to read through 315 pages.

How do you use the XP "pool" you get?
Is there a way to give better equipment to squad-mates? What about food?

XP works like the Crawl system, you accumulate XP and automatically allocate it whenever you use a skill. If you don't have XP, you won't gain skill XP no matter what you do. You don't see it in the help menu because it's shown on the main menu via "Message of the Day".

You can trade it to them (I think) with the "C"hat ability. You can also drop it near them and they *should* pick it up.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: August 06, 2011, 09:03:57 pm »

XP is spent when you use a skill.  Shoot a gun, acquire gunskill.  Sew some pants, acquire sewing skill.  If you have XP in your pool, it's spent; otherwise, you make no progress.

NPCs aren't even in a completely working state, but you could probably trade them via talking or just drop it for them.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4684 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »

Did you check the room after? Hulks can bash through walls I believe, so the fact that there were no windows isn't actually something that would stop them. It would have been strange for them to have been building up so long without trying to bash free earlier...

Didn't realize hulks would bash down walls. That was the first one I encountered in a closed area, it just smashed the door and rushed me that way (woke up with it one tile away from me, bed is right by the bathroom doors - I killed it with a full point blank burst of 20 rounds from my backup MP7). Room was still intact, only things broken were the two doors and an interior wall that I think the grenade destroyed, but it still led to another sealed room and not outside.

It's possible it was a single spawn, since after 2 days of being trapped inside with nothing to do but changing my liquor collection into molotovs, making grenades, and sleeping - some more zombies broke my window barricade and I wound up killing another big swarm of them that were right outside (and burning the house down with molotovs in the process, heh). More were in the bathroom too (thumping against the boarded up doors) but I ran off after clearing the ones outside so im not sure how many were stuck in there. Now I'm holed up in the overground portion of a science lab behind an iron door healing up. The area seems to spawn a lot of young triffids so I have an infinite source of veggies a few knife stabs away. No bed, but i'm still managing to fall asleep - and with the little lake thing right out front and my water purifier (and a huge pile of batteries in my UPS's) I have as much water as I need. Already healed up a good bit after a day there, and the turret I grenaded on the way in had several stacks of .45 ACP ammo on it. The character might just make it.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: August 06, 2011, 11:44:27 pm »

Wow I just started the game and my first house had a Mac-10, 30 bullets, and a grip.  Someone is going zombie hunting tonight.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: August 06, 2011, 11:46:31 pm »

Be careful with triffids - like the Hulks, some of them have the ability to destroy walls.

Unlike Hulks they are much much better at it. Absolutely terrifying creatures, the stronger triffids.

Luckily triffids with those abilities are extremely rare.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: August 07, 2011, 12:01:41 am »

Loving the random irony in this game so far.  I found a basement loaded with bottles of water and a mutagen.  I drink the mutagen and it's effects make me thirsty more often.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4688 on: August 07, 2011, 12:39:30 am »

I can't get into my bathroom, which is where the entrance to my basement is! I've located a small rectangle where I can't get to, and confirmed that the stairs are not in any other part of the house. there are no door or windows to that area though, so... >.<

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: August 07, 2011, 12:42:07 am »

I can't get into my bathroom, which is where the entrance to my basement is! I've located a small rectangle where I can't get to, and confirmed that the stairs are not in any other part of the house. there are no door or windows to that area though, so... >.<

I would feel no qualms with wishing for a jackhammer in that instance for the purpose of destroying a wall, then discarding it.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: August 07, 2011, 01:02:46 am »

I would feel no qualms with wishing for a jackhammer in that instance for the purpose of destroying a wall, then discarding it.
There are a few other ways to break walls though. The Sonic resonator bionic primarily. I believe grenades have some wall breaking capability as well.

Fire and Hulks are an alternative, though obviously not safe. You can set a fire near the offending wall and hopefully put the fire out before it spreads too far using a fire extinguisher.

Maybe give axes and sledgehammers the ability to break down walls?

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: August 07, 2011, 03:49:28 am »

Since the user Survivator wanted to try the real flashlight mod on windows, I created a complete package, including executable and source code. (It can be compiled also in linux just running "make" in the source diretctory).
I picked the latest source from Heads' repo, merged with the latest features from Whales' repo and added this mod (and also the craft menu scroll mod).
So, if someone else wants to try it, here you find the download link.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:10 am »

Version 5 of my tileset for Cib's tileset mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?a24r5uul56hhcd4

- Trap tiles.
- The map cursor is fixed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: August 07, 2011, 11:52:57 am »

I have a question. When i try to wield something and game says wielding that item would be tricky. does this mean i need certain level in some skill to use this item or I'm stupid enough to not know how to wield it? ive never been able to wield firearms :/

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: August 07, 2011, 11:55:41 am »

Hmm, you should only get that if you try to (W)ear it - make sure you're using lowercase w to (w)ield...
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 777