Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1244945 times)

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4695 on: August 07, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

Is there any reason items can't stack?

What I mean is..if I have 5 oranges, why do they need to take up  five slots? Would it be possible to combine the volume/weight/charges of a stack of items, and then have that simply take up one slot? It would certainly free up some clutter.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:53 pm »

I can't get into my bathroom, which is where the entrance to my basement is! I've located a small rectangle where I can't get to, and confirmed that the stairs are not in any other part of the house. there are no door or windows to that area though, so... >.<

I would feel no qualms with wishing for a jackhammer in that instance for the purpose of destroying a wall, then discarding it.
Maybe give axes and sledgehammers the ability to break down walls?
This was discussed in IRC, Whales isn't really comfortable with that, because destroying walls is supposed to be difficult due to the fact that it's an important tactical choice.
*Hugs*

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: August 07, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

Is there any reason items can't stack?

What I mean is..if I have 5 oranges, why do they need to take up  five slots? Would it be possible to combine the volume/weight/charges of a stack of items, and then have that simply take up one slot? It would certainly free up some clutter.

It's a feature I want to implement, but it is very difficult on several technical levels.  I thought it would be relatively easy, and started to implement it a few months back, but then it was surprisingly complex with lots of issues to deal with I was like "whooooa oh nooooo *undo undo undo*".  I'll do it some day!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4698 on: August 07, 2011, 01:31:09 pm »

Perhaps there should be different types of walls.

Wooden walls on most houses could be busted with most any heavy weapon - axe, sledgehammer, maybe even hatchets and knives with enough whacks. Some houses might have brick walls that resist lighter weapons and only sledge hammers/jackhammers can bust them. Then there could be stone or concrete walls for buildings like banks and settlement walls that can only be broken by a jackhammer. Zombie brutes might gain the ability to break down wooden walls, while hulks would be able to break brick and maybe even concrete.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Jetriot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: August 07, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »

Thanks Deon you are one of my heroes next to George Washington and Mother Teresa.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: August 07, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »

Deon you need a crosshair for m when we view the map

Edit: Nvm im late sorry woot thanks deon that rocks =)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:18:53 pm by toupz »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: August 07, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »

It's a feature I want to implement, but it is very difficult on several technical levels.  I thought it would be relatively easy, and started to implement it a few months back, but then it was surprisingly complex with lots of issues to deal with I was like "whooooa oh nooooo *undo undo undo*".  I'll do it some day!

Interesting. I would think it would be relatively easy too. What kind of problems came up? I was thinking about trying to hack together a mod that adds that.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: August 07, 2011, 02:30:51 pm »

I thought that the easiest way would be to separate the "spawning stack size" with random amount from 1 to max, and "max stack size". Right now stacks spawn at its highest value.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: August 07, 2011, 02:42:47 pm »

Interesting. I would think it would be relatively easy too. What kind of problems came up? I was thinking about trying to hack together a mod that adds that.

Off the top of my head:

1) The current inventory system doesn't support changing weights/volumes of items. 100 batteries weighs the same as 1 battery. Same deal with bullets.

2) Items have some individual proerties, such as "birth dates" which control things like spoilage. Allowing item stacking create the need to handle the individual attributes for multiple items. For example what happens when one of your 5 oranges rots.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: August 07, 2011, 03:13:31 pm »

Love the game so far. Even though my first two characters only survived one day.

Is there any way except lowering the resolution and making a mess of my desktop to get a larger window? Tiles feel a bit small and I find myself leaning towards the screen more often than not.

Thanks for a great game!
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4705 on: August 07, 2011, 03:25:25 pm »

Love the game so far. Even though my first two characters only survived one day.

Is there any way except lowering the resolution and making a mess of my desktop to get a larger window? Tiles feel a bit small and I find myself leaning towards the screen more often than not.

Thanks for a great game!
Not sure if the magnifier will properly render the game, but it's worth a shot.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »

Off the top of my head:

1) The current inventory system doesn't support changing weights/volumes of items. 100 batteries weighs the same as 1 battery. Same deal with bullets.

2) Items have some individual proerties, such as "birth dates" which control things like spoilage. Allowing item stacking create the need to handle the individual attributes for multiple items. For example what happens when one of your 5 oranges rots.

The weight should be already altered based on the stack size. The "birth date" is an issue though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: August 07, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »

Deon,

Yea I just separated the spawning size and the stack size. Seems to be working just fine.

BishopX,

It does calculate weight on item numbers, it just doesn't calculate volume. Larger stacks of ammo are heavier than smaller ones. I'll have to check and see if I can find where its doing the weight and volume calculations and see if I can get it to do volume based on the total count as well.

As far as the other concerns, that would only matter for perishable items. I'm mostly doing it for ammo.

-edit- Well that was easy. A few quick modifications and now ammo is stacking as high as I want, with the weight and volume changing based on stack size. Just need to rebalance the weight and volume of the ammo types and I'll be done.

What I did was:
item.cpp
modified the volume calculation to multiply by charges and divide by 100 for ammo. Also corrected it to return the variable instead of type->volume (which was making it fail to take gun mods into account for gun volume).
Modified the two item things near top of the file to look for ammo->findcount; instead of ammo->count;. This appears to be where it gets spawn info

itypedef.cpp
Modified the ammo to make use of findcount, and changed count to the amount I wanted it to stack up to.

itype.h
Added the unsigned char findcount
Changed the unsigned char count to an unsigned int so it can hold more than 232.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:59:08 pm by Paul »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: August 07, 2011, 03:57:01 pm »

Deon,

Yea I just separated the spawning size and the stack size. Seems to be working just fine.

BishopX,

It does calculate weight on item numbers, it just doesn't calculate volume. Larger stacks of ammo are heavier than smaller ones. I'll have to check and see if I can find where its doing the weight and volume calculations and see if I can get it to do volume based on the total count as well.

As far as the other concerns, that would only matter for perishable items. I'm mostly doing it for ammo.

There also seems to be a limit on stack size of 232. I'll have to look and see why its refusing to stack higher... I wanted battery stacks of 1000 :) -edit- Ah it just dawned on me that count is an unsigned char. That limits it to 255 doesn't it? Not sure why the game stopped at 232, though. I'll just change it to an int.

Yeah unsigned char tops at 255, but be real careful changing types around.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:38 pm »

Yeah unsigned char tops at 255, but be real careful changing types around.

Can that cause problems? I thought it might, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I just changed the unsigned char count to an unsigned int. Seems to be working fine. I don't have any experience with what changing a char to an int might do :D

Now I have ammo stacking and combining weight/volume just fine. Only need to rebalance the volumes of ammo to take into account for the divide by 100 thing.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 777