Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1244891 times)

Nab McNabbers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4755 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:16 am »

I was wondering, is it a bug that you can ... drink liquor indefinitely?

Nope, it gets used up. However you will be able to replace all your body fluids with whisky before that happens.

Dunno about pizza.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:04 am »

I was wondering, is it a bug that you can eat out of cardboard boxes (pizzas, cakes, maybe other stuff) and drink liquor indefinitely? I must have eaten the same pizza 15 (definetly more than 10) times and it's still there.

Containers hide the actual amount of the item, you can "U"nload them out of the container after wielding them to see how much. This isn't recommended with liquids since it makes them fall to the ground and become unusable.

Beef Jerky comes in packs of three servings and you can get upwards of 20 sips per booze bottle; for pizza, I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:04:33 am by Blaze »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4757 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:30 am »

"This is how ADOM does it and I can not stand it.  It's much less navigable to me, it removes the two-press system and forces 3, 4, or 5 presses to wield, drop or use an item, it removes the ability to remember that slot 'c' is your crowbar, etc."

How would this remove the two press system? Items would still be labeled exactly in the same style as they are now, it just helps to remove the item limit. And I don't know about you, but I can never remember the letter something is assigned to, pretty much because of the way the system is now (not that I really mind).

I thought Whales explained that pretty clearly. Two press system = 2 keys to do something. It removes the two press system because then you no longer have a persistent key for an item but instead have to use > one or multiple times before pressing the item. Instead of 'a' 'e' to activate my flashlight I have to press 'a' '>' 'e' or maybe even 'a' '>' '>' 'e'. I always remember the letter my commonly used items are assigned to, like my flashlight and my combat knife and my guns. Also if the inventory is just assigning keys to the list, you even lose hotkeys like this on the first page - drinking out of a glass bottle would adjust everything down below it as the glass bottle gets moved to weapons. With a system like you describe I would be forced to look through my inventory page every single time I want to do something instead of just remembering what was where.

I for one agree with Whales. I much prefer his system. Farce's hotkey page idea with the rest of the items unlabeled would be ok too, but honestly a 52 item limit is just fine when you have stacking. Just adding ammo stacking I haven't really had a problem with item limit since. Only thing putting me over the limit now is when I try to carry a bunch of bandages, since they're light and I wanted to bring a bunch back with me for later use. Once everything starts stacking there won't really be an issue unless you're wearing 30 holsters or something silly like that.

-edit- It could probably be increased to 76 if 52 is still too restrictive, just by adding 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = and ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:33:28 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: August 08, 2011, 09:29:39 am »

For those of you with C++ experience, one idea I had was to change the player's inventory from std::vector<item> to std::vector<std::vector <item>>.  This way, several apples can be combined into a stack--and the UI can just use inv[n].size() to display the number of items in the stack--and each apple will maintain its own birthday and damage level.  When the player's inventory is accessed (basically via the game::inv() function), the game can iterate over all the items and automatically seperate out any that are spoiled or have been damaged.  Thoughts?

I would advise against this change on the database theory grounds. You still have all those items "linearly" ordered as "all the objects in the character's possession" and storing them in different sub-spaces looks conceptually bad.

If you want to store a semi-persistent association between a group of items and a letter - maybe an additional std::map<char, std::vector<*item> > could be used? Remembering letters for items and remembering letters for groups of items that can have different properties inside the group are totally different tasks. //handling the pointers on all events that can happen to the underlying item would not be trivial and could lead to all sorts of nasty bugs; good that the actual implementation would not be done by me

The task of item grouping would be initially simplified by a great deal if the persistency requirement could be dropped. Changeable semi-hotkeys that would default to the first (or "best" when it can be defined) item of a class (like "m" for "a melee weapon", "d" for "a digging tool", "p" - "a painkiller", "l" - "a light source",...) with ability to get a detailed list of all your items in 1% of occasions when you need it could probably work).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:32:06 am by Another »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: August 08, 2011, 09:56:37 am »

lol, I recently discovered fanny packs don't encumber you at all. Just goofing around I have a char wearing sneakers, a skirt, fingerless gloves, a hunting cap, safety glasses, 2 utility vests, and 14 fanny packs. Encumberance is -1 on legs and feet, 0 everywhere else. Should probably make more than 2 fanny packs add some encumberance to something.

I'd really like to see how a character would look wearing all that. From the top, one of those hunting caps with the ear flaps, a pair of safety glasses. Two utility vests on the chest full of various things, fingerless gloves on the hands. A skirt. And 14 fanny packs strapped God knows where. I can only assume there would be several around the waist and more tied town the legs and maybe some over the shoulders.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: August 08, 2011, 10:40:03 am »

Where'd you get so many fanny packs? I've seen like 2 in all of my games.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: August 08, 2011, 10:56:45 am »

I was just goofing off, I only actually found 1 in a clothing store and 1 in a house. I wished for the other 12 just to see if I'd get encumbered eventually.

I passed up a bunch of them before though, I remember seeing a good many scattered around in my exploration and just never stopped to pick any up.

I just never expected the fanny pack would be this game's "bag of holding" so I never even bothered grabbing them. Assumed they would be like the messenger bags or purses which I had seen before.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:08:18 am by Paul »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: August 08, 2011, 11:34:10 am »

It seems to go in streaks - this game I found at least 5 fanny packs in the 1st 2+ days and at least another 4-5 in the next few days.  I was wearing 4+a holster until the item limit made me grit my teeth and get it down to 3 then 2.  And yet I haven't seen any rubber hoses since I started to look for them, and damn few hotplates or pots/frying pans.  Last game it seemed like every other house had a hotplate and pot/pan, but damn few fanny packs.

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: August 08, 2011, 11:59:39 am »

Reading through the posts it feels like im missing out on some fun times !

However until i get home i cant do much, just wondering however how hard is it to get working with a tileset ?

as hardcore as some of you guys are, i just cant stomach ascii graphics  :(
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:47 pm »

Deon's Little Mod comes packaged with tileset, and it's mostly additions onto vanilla, lots of which have since been merged.

So basically, get that.
*Hugs*

TheDecline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: August 08, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »

Cheers for that,

Cant wait to get home and play with the lights out!  :P
And so we go on with our lives
we know the turth, but prefer lies
lies are simple....simple is bliss

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: August 08, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »

Bleh.
In an attempt to fortify my place I made and threw down two turrets. Unfortunately for me, They disappear when leaving the area.

Bugs found:
   -Crafting Power converter(I guess other items too) from soldering iron when just having one soldering iron, or just having one with charges, will convert the soldering iron that is used for the crafting. i.e Break itself.
   -I accidentally spawned a NPC, which i traded with and saw the guy had a 'Dynamite(lit)' in his inventory. I shot him because he was too close to my hideout and threw away the dynamite(lit). It didn't explode.

Suggestions:
   -Having the Tool Implant should probably use energy when crafting items requiting a tool with charges.
   -Crafting with items that has charges should automatically unload said charges rather than having to wield and unload then manually.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: August 08, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »

How many levels of night-vision are there? So far i've managed to reach the second one. Are there any more?
I wonder, because i have some more mutagen bottles, but am unwilling to risk it if i can't increase it to 3.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:10:18 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: August 08, 2011, 01:15:06 pm »

How many levels of night-vision are there? So far i've managed to reach the second one. Are there any more?
I wonder, because i have some more mutagen bottles, but am unwilling to risk it if i can't increase it to 3.
Checked the code, seems to be only 2 levels of it.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4769 on: August 08, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »

Only two levels of nightvision, but theres also infrared vision, which makes enelies you can't see show up as red question marks.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 777