Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260278 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2011, 07:05:16 pm »

Can you currently do anything with radios? All I get is the "debug radio tower" message.

No, as soon as I finish coding missions NPCs will use them to send out calls for help, you may be called upon to capture them in the name of Faction X and broadcast propaganda, etc.

Unfortunately, saving doesn't work for me as my save games never show up. Anyways, I accidentally shut down the putty client when copying the debug message. Ctrl+c some sort of close command or something?

Ctrl+C is, in linux consoles, the command to immediately terminate the running program.  I believe that simply highlighting text in PuTTY will copy it to your clipboard.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

I can't seem to get the game to run on Putty. I'd tell you the reason, but I forgot what it said, and right now, i'm at another person's house. Ill tell you once i get back home.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:13 pm »

Looking back on how much your guy needs food, I think it should be dependent on how much he runs around or fights with zombies. Since you're near constantly running, and getting into fights, you would need about 3,000 calories daily in order to keep from losing body fat. That's actually a little less than what he currently needs. (3-4 bags of jerky, about 3 times a day, a bag of jerky generally has around ~450 calories) On days where you just hole up, read books and craft, you should really only need about 1,500 calories. Again, realism takes secondary place to fun, but it's annoying to have to keep tromping back to the grocery store or safe-house to load up on food. (especially when canned food, the only thing worth a damn after the apocalypse, is so heavy.)

Perhaps you could code in hunger to only kick around near the morning or when he justs wakes up, the mid-point in the day (lunch) and when it starts to get dark. (6-7 PM) That way the player can schedule his trips accordingly, and know how much food he/she exactly has to pack.

EDIT: Obviously this is all low priority, I'm just throwing it out there D:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:22:33 pm by woose1 »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:34 pm »

Hrmm... weird. Just as a zombie and a triffid were barging in through the library window, I'm now under a barrage of debug messages each turn, relating to the actions of NPC's? Stuff like   Debug: NPC Kim Smith: target = -1, danger = 0

Damn NPCs, launching their debug message attacks!  Hit ~ to turn debug messages off.  Save your game and re-load to delete NPCs (I may add a "nuke NPCs" key in the future :P)

I've had multiple NPCs spawned with the spawn NPC debug key, and they made an infinite loop that made me have to exit the game. I realize that you probably won't get as many NPCs as I had via spawning (like 6), but an option to exit the debug mode during a message would be nice.

Can you currently do anything with radios? All I get is the "debug radio tower" message.

No, as soon as I finish coding missions NPCs will use them to send out calls for help, you may be called upon to capture them in the name of Faction X and broadcast propaganda, etc.

Unfortunately, saving doesn't work for me as my save games never show up. Anyways, I accidentally shut down the putty client when copying the debug message. Ctrl+c some sort of close command or something?

Ctrl+C is, in linux consoles, the command to immediately terminate the running program.  I believe that simply highlighting text in PuTTY will copy it to your clipboard.

To copy from Linux, select text, then switch to the program you want to copy into. Shift+insert. Should do it for you.

Both Linux and Putty allow Right Click -> Copy as well I believe.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:47 pm »

Hrmm... weird. Just as a zombie and a triffid were barging in through the library window, I'm now under a barrage of debug messages each turn, relating to the actions of NPC's? Stuff like   Debug: NPC Kim Smith: target = -1, danger = 0

Damn NPCs, launching their debug message attacks!  Hit ~ to turn debug messages off.  Save your game and re-load to delete NPCs (I may add a "nuke NPCs" key in the future :P)

I've had multiple NPCs spawned with the spawn NPC debug key, and they made an infinite loop that made me have to exit the game. I realize that you probably won't get as many NPCs as I had via spawning (like 6), but an option to exit the debug mode during a message would be nice.

Well, the idea is that NPCs occasionally get themselves trapped in an infinite loop.  When they notice this happening, they'll switch debug mode on so that the player can examine what's causing this infinite loop before exiting the game.  Thus, turning debug mode off in this case wouldn't escape you from the infinite loop.  I'll see if I can figure out a smart time for NPCs to kill themselves in order to escape from an infinite logic loop.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »

Looking back on how much your guy needs food, I think it should be dependent on how much he runs around or fights with zombies. Since you're near constantly running, and getting into fights, you would need about 3,000 calories daily in order to keep from losing body fat. That's actually a little less than what he currently needs. (3-4 bags of jerky, about 3 times a day, a bag of jerky generally has around ~450 calories) On days where you just hole up, read books and craft, you should really only need about 1,500 calories. Again, realism takes secondary place to fun, but it's annoying to have to keep tromping back to the grocery store or safe-house to load up on food. (especially when canned food, the only thing worth a damn after the apocalypse, is so heavy.)

Perhaps you could code in hunger to only kick around near the morning or when he justs wakes up, the mid-point in the day (lunch) and when it starts to get dark. (6-7 PM) That way the player can schedule his trips accordingly, and know how much food he/she exactly has to pack.

EDIT: Obviously this is all low priority, I'm just throwing it out there D:

I like the idea about making fighting and travel use up more energy/food than simply sitting put.  My only reservation is that it might encourage the less-fun sedentary lifestyle.  However, the more I work on the game and the more I communicate with players, the more I realize that a base-oriented game might be really fun; a Fortress Mode rather than Adventure Mode, if you will.  At any rate, I'll keep all this in mind as I move forward with the game, and will probably scale back food requirements (at the very least I'll make jerky more nutritious!)

EDIT:  For the reference of all of you playing locally, the new version has been pushed to git and can be downloaded.  It requires a clean build ("make clean; make") and the removal of all old saves ("rm save/*").  This new version features an overhauled morale system, morale persists between save/load, wasp-infested houses hide high-value treasures, and much more.
The next version will be released in a few days, and will include police stations, item burial, craftable turrets, and more Bay12 user suggestions.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:42:16 pm by Whales »

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »

The main reason the amount of food you need to eat seems like a lot, is due to how long a day is. I'm so used to games abstracting time to a great degree (1 minute equaling 1 hour in game, etc.) that I often find myself surprised that after all I've done, only a few hours have passed in game. Mind you, I like it the way it is. Far too often the abstraction makes things too rushed to really enjoy the world and the game. Plus it makes sense considering the distances you're moving in game. It only takes a few seconds to run from one house to another or cross the street.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:41 pm »

Is there anyway I can see all the changes in the new version?

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2011, 07:59:27 pm »

Hello Whales,

One suggestion would be adding in attics to houses. They'd only have 1 entrance and would make a good stake out. And the diseases, being around corpses to long could cause disease.

Also can you burn down buildings?

And how do you compile this amazing game, on windows?

One cool thing would also be mines. Areas near towns that were used for coal and are now abandoned or could contain a whole host NPC's or zombies living in there.

And with the walled cities, could there be ways to sabotage the city? Like with disease, as in placing a zombie corpse in their water or food areas.

It would also be cool if you could grow your own crops in the wilderness. Like appletrees and your own blueberry bushes and strawberries. (I am aware blueberry bushes and strawberry bushes are already in the game.)

And on the evil side,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for viewing this Whales and being the most awesome game dev!
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2011, 08:07:02 pm »

Ok, new problem, I'm getting a fatal error; morale data.h no such file or directory

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2011, 08:22:02 pm »

Ok, new problem, I'm getting a fatal error; morale data.h no such file or directory

My bad, forgot to add the file to the repo.  Fixed, thanks :P

Hello Whales,

One suggestion would be adding in attics to houses. They'd only have 1 entrance and would make a good stake out. And the diseases, being around corpses to long could cause disease.

And how do you compile this amazing game, on windows?

One cool thing would also be mines. Areas near towns that were used for coal and are now abandoned or could contain a whole host NPC's or zombies living in there.

And with the walled cities, could there be ways to sabotage the city? Like with disease, as in placing a zombie corpse in their water or food areas.

It would also be cool if you could grow your own crops in the wilderness. Like appletrees and your own blueberry bushes and strawberries. (I am aware blueberry bushes and strawberry bushes are already in the game.)

And on the evil side,

Thanks for viewing this Whales and being the most awesome game dev!

I've considered attics and second floors, however there's a host of technical issues that would need to be addressed.
Windows support is coming!  In... the future.
Mines are a very cool idea.  Underground areas of interest are important!  I'll add them in sooner or later.
City sabotage is a good idea, hopefully one day it'll be a mission factions can assign to you.
Crop growing is a planned addition, once the game moves in a DF-type direction.
Prositution and other unsavory routes are planned.  I hope to make basic subsistance a difficult goal to achieve, forcing the player to do whatever it takes!

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2011, 08:34:58 pm »

Weird thing I noticed. The wood spear apparently works for butchering corpses? Can't imagine how messy that ends up being.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:14 pm »

Getting this error when trying to make in linux...
Code: [Select]
crafting.ccp: In member function 'void game::init_recipes()':
bla bla bla item battery was not declared on this scope

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:20 pm »

Getting this error when trying to make in linux...
Code: [Select]
crafting.ccp: In member function 'void game::init_recipes()':
bla bla bla item battery was not declared on this scope

Heh, and of course my push included half-finished additions.  Change line 496 in crafting.cpp to say "itm_battery" instead of "item_battery", or just pull from git, which should work okay now.  Sorry about that.

Weird thing I noticed. The wood spear apparently works for butchering corpses? Can't imagine how messy that ends up being.
Haha, good point.  I'll fix it so that stabbing weapons don't work as butching tools (or at least, not as well).

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »

You can burn down metal science labs. So I'd assume so.

To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 777