Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260272 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1170 on: July 06, 2011, 09:00:41 am »

That being said, does being electrocuted actually do anything?  Because I've been zapped a fair number of times, but it never seems to cause any pain or injury.
I hope you are not talking about the real life.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:11 am »

Apparently, I have killed my mother 14 times due to my character being a schizophrenic and I think I lost both my legs and crawled two tiles before dying.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

Weird bug using the latest Windows version, had a UPS loaded with batteries. I needed to charge up my soldering iron, so I unloaded the batteries from the UPS. They all turned into stacks of .44 Magnum ammo. (I had 1 stack of .44 magnum ammo in my inventory before this)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 06, 2011, 03:07:07 pm »

How far out does the map go? Are there buildings in the wilderness?

As you move farther, more area is revealed, but it does end after a while.  I've walked off the edge of the map into sectors of "Nothing".  The largest map I've ever seen was about eight map-screens each tall and wide, which was way more area than I could have ever covered.

There are houses scattered along roads through the wilderness, along with the far-flung radio towers.  The towers occasionally have a few technical items, but the houses are the same as all others.

I think this might be a Windows-only bug.  I've never encountered it.  The world map is 4.6 x 1018 square miles, or about 20,000,000,000 times the size of Earth.
More wilderness buildings will slowly be added as I develop.

The Electromagnet thing is a noted bug.  Basically what happens is stuff gets pulled towards you, then gets pulled towards you again, then again, then again... infinite loop.  I'll fix it soon.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:35 pm »

The world map is 4.6 x 1018 square miles, or about 20,000,000,000 times the size of Earth.
My gog that's hueg.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:19 pm »

Weird bug using the latest Windows version, had a UPS loaded with batteries. I needed to charge up my soldering iron, so I unloaded the batteries from the UPS. They all turned into stacks of .44 Magnum ammo. (I had 1 stack of .44 magnum ammo in my inventory before this)

I have this happen to me fairly frequently, its pretty amusing, but I usually need batteries far more than bullets, so not greatly appreciated. :P

There's obviously some wonky stuff going on with unloading batteries (I wasn't even able to follow the code logic for it, honestly). Weapon objects actually keep track of what they are loaded with, which is why they always seem to work, but tools do not.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: July 06, 2011, 03:34:03 pm »

As you move farther, more area is revealed, but it does end after a while.  I've walked off the edge of the map into sectors of "Nothing".  The largest map I've ever seen was about eight map-screens each tall and wide, which was way more area than I could have ever covered.

There are houses scattered along roads through the wilderness, along with the far-flung radio towers.  The towers occasionally have a few technical items, but the houses are the same as all others.

I think this might be a Windows-only bug.  I've never encountered it.  The world map is 4.6 x 1018 square miles, or about 20,000,000,000 times the size of Earth.

The Electromagnet thing is a noted bug.  Basically what happens is stuff gets pulled towards you, then gets pulled towards you again, then again, then again... infinite loop.  I'll fix it soon.
The map on Putty? Wait, so, are there ever two people playing at the same time, or is it a feedback loop of overwriting data, or what the FUCK AM I MISSING HERE OH GOD MY BRAIN CAN NOT COMPREHEND THIS MAP SIZE.

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 06, 2011, 03:53:36 pm »

On the subject of unloading batteries, unloading a flashlight whilst it is equipped (not sure about when it is unequipped) leads to a force-close. Reloading tends to do the intended trick though.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »

I have this happen to me fairly frequently, its pretty amusing, but I usually need batteries far more than bullets, so not greatly appreciated. :P

There's obviously some wonky stuff going on with unloading batteries (I wasn't even able to follow the code logic for it, honestly). Weapon objects actually keep track of what they are loaded with, which is why they always seem to work, but tools do not.

Tools don't have to, because they can only be loaded with one type of ammo (there's no armor-piercing batteries).  They consult their type definition to see what type of ammo should be created.  I'm still not sure why that type jumps to bullets after the first unload, but I've shuffled the code around and hopefully it won't happen anymore.

The map on Putty? Wait, so, are there ever two people playing at the same time, or is it a feedback loop of overwriting data, or what the FUCK AM I MISSING HERE OH GOD MY BRAIN CAN NOT COMPREHEND THIS MAP SIZE.

Basically it's a lot of overwriting data.  Hopefully collisions should never happen, since the map is big enough that the chance of two players being in the same place at the same time is miniscule.  And even if it did happen, it'd just result in some minorly nonsensical disappearance of items.

The world map is 4.6 x 1018 square miles, or about 20,000,000,000 times the size of Earth.
My gog that's hueg.

hueg liek xbox?

On the subject of unloading batteries, unloading a flashlight whilst it is equipped (not sure about when it is unequipped) leads to a force-close. Reloading tends to do the intended trick though.

Hmm, never experienced this.  Just tested it and didn't get a crash.  Can you get a backtrace by any chance?

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:04 pm »

Bug report, on the latest Windows version I can't delete the char name in chargen anymore. Meaning if I make a mistake, I have to get back to main menu and re-do everything.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: July 06, 2011, 04:02:03 pm »

I had this problem using the Windows version, and it was because I had forgotten to run it in administrator mode. Turned it on and was able to unload flashlights without a problem.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:22 pm »

Basically it's a lot of overwriting data.  Hopefully collisions should never happen, since the map is big enough that the chance of two players being in the same place at the same time is miniscule.  And even if it did happen, it'd just result in some minorly nonsensical disappearance of items.
Could you make it into an MMO, or even multiplayer, with any amount of code? I'd pay to hell and back to play a zombie survival roguelike MMO. I'd imagine intermediate changes to the framework, the most major foreseeable being adding a standard unit of time for a "Turn". Have sessions end/world restart when certain conditions are met or a certain number of people have died. It already has all the standard fare of MMO games (Raiding hives, underground labs, random encounters, clearing out sewer tunnels) but more stuff would have to be kept track of, and item spawning would have to be added to some degree.

Not to mention Putty is a great way of weeding out griefers. It'd be really fun, all sorted. Just require more balance.

Forgive me if my request seems stupid. Maybe I'm just excited.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »

Could you make it into an MMO, or even multiplayer, with any amount of code? I'd pay to hell and back to play a zombie survival roguelike MMO. I'd imagine intermediate changes to the framework, the most major foreseeable being adding a standard unit of time for a "Turn". Have sessions end/world restart when certain conditions are met or a certain number of people have died. It already has all the standard fare of MMO games (Raiding hives, underground labs, random encounters, clearing out sewer tunnels) but more stuff would have to be kept track of, and item spawning would have to be added to some degree.

Not to mention Putty is a great way of weeding out griefers. It'd be really fun, all sorted. Just require more balance.

I've been thinking about the possibility for a long time now.
First off, there's adapting a roguelike to simultaneous action.  I suppose I could limit each player to a couple seconds to take their "turn," but no matter how this is done I feel like it'd be slow and obnoxious.
And then there's technical issues; how do I use inter-process communication to coordinate everything?  How do I guarantee that data files are locked, and how do I handle a player attempting to access a locked data file?  And even once I figure out good answers to these questions, I have to learn how to code it all.
I think direct player/player interaction will have to wait until 2016, when Cataclysm: The FPS is released.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »

Honestly. If someone wanted this to have real multiplayer I think it would work as a MUD. Not so much as a growing of the main project as making it into a new branch sorta. It would likely need to be completely re-coded but that's the only way I see it working myself.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: July 06, 2011, 04:19:00 pm »

I've been thinking about the possibility for a long time now.
First off, there's adapting a roguelike to simultaneous action.  I suppose I could limit each player to a couple seconds to take their "turn," but no matter how this is done I feel like it'd be slow and obnoxious.
And then there's technical issues; how do I use inter-process communication to coordinate everything?  How do I guarantee that data files are locked, and how do I handle a player attempting to access a locked data file?  And even once I figure out good answers to these questions, I have to learn how to code it all.
I think direct player/player interaction will have to wait until 2016, when Cataclysm: The FPS is released.
hnnngh.

You could always find someone to help you code, unless you feel Cataclysm is too much your kid to bring in a second parent, as it's usually put. A few seconds isn't really required, but what you could do is give the zombies number, instead of speed. Fighting ten zombies/running from twenty zombies is a lot harder and exciting than trying to flee from a zombie that can just BARELY not-keep-pace with you. Pacing isn't really an issue past seeing what the users feel is balanced, anyway. Locking data files would require a proper login system inside the actual game client itself, and even if something were hacked, data files would only last until the end of a session which, if steamrolled, would only last for a day or two before being deleted and reset anyway.

It'd work itself out, you just have to find a way to properly approach it. And you have a fanbase - of roguelike players, mind you - certainly one of them could help you.

Honestly. If someone wanted this to have real multiplayer I think it would work as a MUD. Not so much as a growing of the main project as making it into a new branch sorta. It would likely need to be completely re-coded but that's the only way I see it working myself.
But it already has everything any MMO would have. A massive map, dungeons of varying difficulty (From doom to super-doom, they practically already require parties) and even an overlapping userbase. I'm sure you've seen a few dozen zombie corpses that you didn't make, if you've played for more than an hour on Putty, so some of the interactions are already there.

The only way this wouldn't happen is if Whales didn't want to take it there.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 777