Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263107 times)

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1305 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »

Aww, who would have thought that shooting innocent people would be so morale-dropping?
On the bright side, he was carrying 2 stacks of the ammo I needed, so I guess it's not all bad.

Who says they were innocent, might have been criminals locked in the prison when the zombie outbreak happened or anything, and there's always that guy in zombie movies who is just asking to get eaten coz he's a jerk. :)

@Duane: get a shovel from a hardware store, dig a WIDE trench of pits around a house at town edge, preferrably. Safer to sleep. I get dead squirrels, rabbits and deer in my pits, helping food supply. I leave a zig-zag path free of pits into the front door, so I can get in safely.

As for purifier, I took Asthmatic and Bad Back and then found some purifier in the basement of my starting house, curing both! I decided this character is a "keeper". Haven't tested any other starting ailments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:52:04 pm by Reelyanoob »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: July 07, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »

If you ask them to join you, and threaten to kill them if they don't, they'll count as hostile if they refuse.  Then you can kill them at your leisure, no muss no fuss.  Almost too easy really, especially since it probably works better the less speech skill you have.

Also, I just slept totally unmolested through a lightning storm, while whacked out on sleeping pills, with nothing between me and the outside world except some blind corners and bubble wrap.  Extraordinary.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: July 07, 2011, 08:48:57 pm »

Well killing anyone, regardless of if they're "good" or "bad" would be pretty bad on your morale. I mean your taking another human's life away, i'd be pretty depressed if I killed someone :P
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:06 pm »

A quick question. Do higher numbers ALWAYS mean better performance with firearms and other weapons, or are there categories where lower is better?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: July 07, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »

A quick question. Do higher numbers ALWAYS mean better performance with firearms and other weapons, or are there categories where lower is better?
Yes, thats why it uses high numbers.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »

DAMMIT the stupid client keeps crashing right when I'm getting to the good part. I leave for just a few minutes and a fatal error has occurred and deleted my save.
Hopefully my house with all the ammo and stuff in it isn't too hard to find...
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: July 07, 2011, 09:14:05 pm »

I've just checked the various weapons descriptions, and it appears that lower recoil numbers are better. However, I'm not sure exactly what that affects.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: July 07, 2011, 09:16:18 pm »

DAMMIT the stupid client keeps crashing right when I'm getting to the good part. I leave for just a few minutes and a fatal error has occurred and deleted my save.
Hopefully my house with all the ammo and stuff in it isn't too hard to find...

Saves shouldn't get deleted unless you're playing an old version of the game (if you're playing on Eronarn's server, it's probably an oldish version).

Important note:  for those of you who compile yourself, the new versions of the game require a clean build (make clean; make)

I've just checked the various weapons descriptions, and it appears that lower recoil numbers are better. However, I'm not sure exactly what that affects.

Higher numbers are better.  In the code, accuracy ratings are really innaccuracy ratings, and lower is better; but when you play the game, this gets inverted, so that higher accuracy ratings are better.
EDIT: Sorry, you're right; low recoil is better.  But that makes sense, right?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:20:47 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: July 07, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »

Dear Whales,
Minor pain should not cut my stats into quarters. Add morphine or something that can be instantly applied to relieve pain?

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:14 pm »

Hey Duane, there's a pile of painkillers in the game already - marijuana is an instant and non-addictive one, just repeat apply until all pain is gone. Also Codeine, Heroin, and probably others.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 07, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »

Dear Whales,
Minor pain should not cut my stats into quarters. Add morphine or something that can be instantly applied to relieve pain?

Minor pain reduces your intelligence by one, but does not otherwise affect stats.

Hey Duane, there's a pile of painkillers in the game already - marijuana is an instant and non-addictive one, just repeat apply until all pain is gone. Also Codeine, Heroin, and probably others.

Nerfed weed.  Now it has a rather low cap as a painkiller.  Sorry!  And yes, there's lots of different painkillers, with different applications.  Tramadol is an often-overlooked option, and it lasts just about all day.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:29 pm »

Oh, Oh, I think I found a real bug this time.

If a reload causes a skill increase, you don't actually reload.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: July 07, 2011, 10:48:59 pm »

Whales,
How are the NPC's coming? In the meantime, I was walking through a liquor store and found plastic bottle of tequila. Love it. So ghetto.

This game is getting better and better.

Btw Whales what kind of music do you like?

Last thing, do you think trailer parks could be added? (The Texas Redneck Massacre.)

Btw I had a dream, where in this game, you could become a full fledged cannibal. Like no personality, if you eat meat other than human you get depressed. Or a Ghoul Scavenger, samething but with zombies!!!

And last last thing, what about rocket launchers? (you know, rpg's, (sorry I'm really buzzed. :D Homemade wine!!!) that could be found in like insurgent/military chaches.)

Seriously, last last last thing, churches would be awesome. Not just the Jesus church but Churches Fried Chicken, both of those would be awesome.

Thanks Whales,
Your Future Bro,
And Admiring Fan,
Goacbc
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:47 pm »

Whales,
How are the NPC's coming? In the meantime, I was walking through a liquor store and found plastic bottle of tequila. Love it. So ghetto.

This game is getting better and better.

Btw Whales what kind of music do you like?

Last thing, do you think trailer parks could be added? (The Texas Redneck Massacre.)

Btw I had a dream, where in this game, you could become a full fledged cannibal. Like no personality, if you eat meat other than human you get depressed. Or a Ghoul Scavenger, samething but with zombies!!!

And last last thing, what about rocket launchers? (you know, rpg's, (sorry I'm really buzzed. :D Homemade wine!!!) that could be found in like insurgent/military chaches.)

Seriously, last last last thing, churches would be awesome. Not just the Jesus church but Churches Fried Chicken, both of those would be awesome.

Thanks Whales,
Your Future Bro,
And Admiring Fan,
Goacbc

NPCs are... coming slowly.  I may strip them down to basic functionality (for like the 8th time) and try building them back up bit by bit.
Plastic bottle of tequila?  Either that's a bug because you didn't "make clean" or someone emptied tequila out of a glass bottle and into a plastic one.

Music... I'm a fan of a lot of stuff.  Bossa Nova, folk-rock, drum & bass, funk, glitch, hip hop, indie rock, math rock, punk, death metal, klezmer, reggae, weird bleep bloop techno, etc etc.

Trailer parks is a cool idea.  Maybe a special style of town, attached to the edge of normal towns?

Cannibalism is kind of a cool idea.  Maybe a good theme for a faction?

With ammo effects added, rocket launchers aren't far off, along with home-made projectiles with special effects (high incendiary, acid burst, black hole bombs... well, maybe not that last one).  Craftable wine isn't a bad idea either ;)
Churches isn't a bad idea, though I dunno what kind of draw it'd have.  Not particularly safe, no good loot...

Oh, Oh, I think I found a real bug this time.

If a reload causes a skill increase, you don't actually reload.

Whaaaat.  This makes no sense, the gun reloads itself before the code for practicing the relevent skill is even encountered.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:29 pm »

Whaaaat.  This makes no sense, the gun reloads itself before the code for practicing the relevent skill is even encountered.
I should have screenshotted it, and will if it happens again. I'll try to recreate it.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 777