Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1245615 times)

SP2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #1650 on: July 14, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »

I don't think it is a glitch.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:50 pm »

So, this is officially the best game ever. Here's why.

I just created a character with 11 Str 7 dex 7 int and 8 per, Quick Deft, Heavy Sleeper, Illiterate, and two in dodge, melee, bashing weps., firearms, mechanics, and first aid.

His name, of course, is Burt Gummer, the crazy conspiracy nut from Tremors.

Here's the best part. I start him up, grab the useful stuff upstairs, and head into the basement.

What I find is two shelves packed full of weapons and ammo. So very hilariously appropriate. How did the game know!?
This is not a signature.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 14, 2011, 10:04:43 pm »

Skeeblix, with any luck you've also spawned in a Graboid zone. :D
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Dr. Wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • FrogFrog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:27 pm »

So, this is officially the best game ever. Here's why.

I just created a character with 11 Str 7 dex 7 int and 8 per, Quick Deft, Heavy Sleeper, Illiterate, and two in dodge, melee, bashing weps., firearms, mechanics, and first aid.

His name, of course, is Burt Gummer, the crazy conspiracy nut from Tremors.

Here's the best part. I start him up, grab the useful stuff upstairs, and head into the basement.

What I find is two shelves packed full of weapons and ammo. So very hilariously appropriate. How did the game know!?

Finding a lot of guns in the basement seems to be common for me.
I got killed by a dude who presumably has three balls.
Were you playing Borderlands?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:17 pm »

huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino.  ???

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »

huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino.  ???

Story of my life.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 14, 2011, 10:36:57 pm »

Found my new sig.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 14, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

Gaah, this game crashes too much. Should I be playing the latest version, or something else?
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: July 14, 2011, 10:57:14 pm »

Argh, how do I make a shortcut to this? I've built it, and in the same directory have a startup script that cd's there and does ./cataclysm. But when I make a launcher pointing to the startup script, it doesn't open through terminal (I assume) so it does nothing. It works if I do so manually, but I'd prefer not to need to do that.

In addition, my terminal is 80x24, and it needs 80x25. I'm required to resize it every time. Is there anything I can add to the startup script that changes that? gnome-terminal --geometry 80x25 is all that I can find, but it just opens a new term window rather than modifying the running one.

Try making your script execute "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x25 -e 'cd /path/to/cata; ./cataclysm'".  This will spawn a new terminal of appropriate size and start the game inside it.  You can then place a link to the script in your start menu, bind it to a hotkey, or whatever.  Note that I made up the "-e" part; I'm not sure if that's the real g-t flag, but you can check the manfile.
Alternative, there's probably a config file for gnome-terminal in your home dir where you can change the default size.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 14, 2011, 11:33:17 pm »

Gaah, this game crashes too much. Should I be playing the latest version, or something else?

Try 1.3.5, it's been a lot more stable for me than *.7. Dunno if th'git thingy's got something newer than 1.3.7 yet.

Also, for th'fellow asking about suicide a bit back: Q. Capital q.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 14, 2011, 11:34:16 pm »

Huh, I've only crashed on one save so far on the latest version Head compiled. It's been working perfectly for me otherwise.
*Hugs*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »

1.3.7 was/is crashing for me something like every five t'ten minutes, plus there was ways to guarantee a crash -- the opening of th'inventory immediately after closing th'@ screen, ferex. Inventory management in general was crash-prone. Just terribly unstable.

1.3.5's only crashed a few times, mostly when dealing with unloading batteries. Seems that if your inventory's full and you try to unload something with batts, it'll CTD nice and quicklike.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: July 14, 2011, 11:42:21 pm »

I've just hopscotched between the @ screen and the inventory screen a few dozen times.

Either you're all unlucky or I'm very lucky.
*Hugs*

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 14, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »

Is there a list of good and bad mutations somewhere?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:40 am »

Argh, how do I make a shortcut to this? I've built it, and in the same directory have a startup script that cd's there and does ./cataclysm. But when I make a launcher pointing to the startup script, it doesn't open through terminal (I assume) so it does nothing. It works if I do so manually, but I'd prefer not to need to do that.

In addition, my terminal is 80x24, and it needs 80x25. I'm required to resize it every time. Is there anything I can add to the startup script that changes that? gnome-terminal --geometry 80x25 is all that I can find, but it just opens a new term window rather than modifying the running one.

Try making your script execute "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x25 -e 'cd /path/to/cata; ./cataclysm'".  This will spawn a new terminal of appropriate size and start the game inside it.  You can then place a link to the script in your start menu, bind it to a hotkey, or whatever.  Note that I made up the "-e" part; I'm not sure if that's the real g-t flag, but you can check the manfile.
Alternative, there's probably a config file for gnome-terminal in your home dir where you can change the default size.

Edit -> Profile Preferences
Check the box labeled "use custom default terminal size". You'll probably need to give it more than 25 height, as it seems to include the non-client area of the window (title bar, toolbar buttons, etc.)
Alternatively, use the parameters above to make a custom Terminal icon in your desktop that opens at the desired size, if you don't want to change your global terminal default.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 777