Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1260268 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4470 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:14 am »

Thanks i actually have thorazine and I,m schizo, i'm going to try thorazine let's see....HELL YES I'M CURED. OTHER QUESTION HELP: My int is 11 and my mechanics is 3, why can i no longer craft a crossbow? I used to be able to o.o it seems i can craft less things then when my mechanics was 2
Some crafting items are based on other skills. So if those skills have rusted then you lose the recipes.
Crossbow requires rifle skill to craft iirc
*Hugs*

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:08 am »

Can anyone recommend a program to record Cataclysm? I've really been wanting to do a Let's Play of it, but Fraps is no good, and neither is CamStudio.

Camstudio doesn't record newer games very well, but it records old games and roguelikes ok.

Yeah, but it won't record Cataclysm.

Wierd. I've recorded roguelikes with Camstudio. Make sure your settings are correct. If it still won't record use Fraps. It's probably the best recording software out there.

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:42 am »

Can anyone recommend a program to record Cataclysm? I've really been wanting to do a Let's Play of it, but Fraps is no good, and neither is CamStudio.

Camstudio doesn't record newer games very well, but it records old games and roguelikes ok.

Wierd. I've recorded roguelikes with Camstudio. Make sure your settings are correct. If it still won't record use Fraps. It's probably the best recording software out there.

<twitch>

"..but Fraps is no good, and neither is CamStudio."

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: August 04, 2011, 12:02:16 pm »

<twitch>

"..but Fraps is no good, and neither is CamStudio."

Sounds like a problem with your settings...Both programs should have no problem recording Cataclysm...

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: August 04, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

Nah. Fraps records everything else just fine, but when I'm focused on Cataclysm, nothing happens. I tried Camstudio, it will capture the window, my mouse movement, and my voice, but it won't update the window itself, so any movement I make doesn't register on screen.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: August 04, 2011, 12:08:29 pm »

I found a plutonium cell but it's no use, what should i do with it? Can i make it explode lol

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:02 pm »

Nah. Fraps records everything else just fine, but when I'm focused on Cataclysm, nothing happens. I tried Camstudio, it will capture the window, my mouse movement, and my voice, but it won't update the window itself, so any movement I make doesn't register on screen.

Wierd...

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: August 04, 2011, 12:37:35 pm »

What is the use for rope again?

The aforementioned sinkholes; plus soon you can use it to build a rope ladder going down a Z-level.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:23 pm »

Hey whales, how long do you think until the next version?
Next version is actually any day when on linux (just resync with git and recompile and viola! - you got the latest version). When on Windows - either use Virtualbox (perfect solution for moderately speedy computer capable of running VBox and supporting other tasks as well) or wait for headswe to update and recompile.

P.S. Whales, I have an urge to somewhat "clean" your sources. Not in terms of fixing errors, but in terms of some "inconsistencies". First thing that springs to mind is newcharacter.cpp. There you have #define TRAIT_CAP 3 and use it only in preset or random generation. But custom generation uses fixed number instead. So, I've made a quick patch:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Why I'm making that change? Hmm, the story is simple. A while ago I've committed some patches to the ToME 3 (fixing some bugs in alchemist code, and in ToME 4 he was removed due to being quite OP even in midgame), and their code policy was so nice that I started to use it in my projects. And it helped immensely.

If you like this changes, I can continue the work on reviewing your code and fix the same "inconsistencies" everywhere I can find them.

P.P.S. BTW, Whales, what do you think about moving your items,monsters, recipes, and just everything to the raws, like in DF? Quite hard work, yes, but it pays for itself in the nearest future.

Please do.  I admit to having sloppy and in places horrendous coding habits, so if there's any way you can clean it up (while adhering to my standard practices), please do so.

I intend to move data to data files or possibly Lua scripts; others have already starting working on the latter (I would but I've never used Lua before...).
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »

Hey Whales, come over to IRC :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: August 04, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »

How about a no-missiles-in-the-home-system penalty? To prevent nuclear war and missile spamming at home... ;) Ship-to-ship doesn't count, or has a specific penalty for use in the home system.

Doesn't mean astros outside our home system can't get nuked. :P

This will prevent boring/OP nuke rape, yet allow missile tech and war to occur outside of the home zone.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: August 04, 2011, 01:20:39 pm »

How about a no-missiles-in-the-home-system penalty? To prevent nuclear war and missile spamming at home... ;) Ship-to-ship doesn't count, or has a specific penalty for use in the home system.

Doesn't mean astros outside our home system can't get nuked. :P

This will prevent boring/OP nuke rape, yet allow missile tech and war to occur outside of the home zone.

Wrong thread?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: August 04, 2011, 01:23:01 pm »

Unless there are ships that we can fire missiles from and nobody knows how to get to them yet. :P

I found a plutonium cell but it's no use, what should i do with it? Can i make it explode lol
You can use it to craft turrets, manhacks, and energy cells (laser ammo).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:25:04 pm by SirAaronIII »
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: August 04, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

Oops. That's what I get for making music while talking on 4 different B12 threads, the cataclysm forum, and working on my military paperwork. Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu-
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »

EXTREMELY large (effectively infinite?)

A bit like Minecraft
If only the map was infinite.

It's definitely longer than your life span, puny human. Do not underestimate computers and what you can do with 64 bits of tiles. xD

Also, Whales, Z-levels? I hope you mean connection like stairs instead of DF-like Z-levels, (that is, moving the game to a 3D cube instead of a 2D rectangle). You can see from DF that it's extremely painful to navigate isolated 2D slices of a 3D world.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:08:43 pm by DalGren »
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 777