Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1234678 times)

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4710 on: August 07, 2011, 04:13:37 pm »

Yeah unsigned char tops at 255, but be real careful changing types around.

Can that cause problems? I thought it might, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. I just changed the unsigned char count to an unsigned int. Seems to be working fine. I don't have any experience with what changing a char to an int might do :D

Now I have ammo stacking and combining weight/volume just fine. Only need to rebalance the volumes of ammo to take into account for the divide by 100 thing.

Oh, ammo stacking is obvious and something I should've done a while ago!  Indeed, the game already stacks ammo for you if it can; for instance, carrying a box of 20 5.56 rouns and picking up a box of 15 will combine them into a box of 35.  Not entirely sure why I capped it at the default size, but thanks for changing this.

Changing that char to an int shouldn't cause any problems at all.

I thought that the easiest way would be to separate the "spawning stack size" with random amount from 1 to max, and "max stack size". Right now stacks spawn at its highest value.

Making items start with a random number of charges between 1 and default_charges is a one-line change, very easily done.  It should be noted that "charges" and "stack size" are distinct concepts.  Ammo, tools, and firearms all have a number of "charges;" for ammo this affects the item's weight, but not its volume, and for tools and firearms it won't affect either one.  A "stack size" is different, and implies several instances of the same type of item, not just one instance with several uses available.

The "birthday" of items is indeed an issue when combining them into stacks; as is damage level, charge counts, contents, when to combine items, UI changes to allow the player to drop just one from the stack, when and how to reduce the number in the stack, how to handle the item removed from the stack, etc. etc.

For those of you with C++ experience, one idea I had was to change the player's inventory from std::vector<item> to std::vector<std::vector <item>>.  This way, several apples can be combined into a stack--and the UI can just use inv[n].size() to display the number of items in the stack--and each apple will maintain its own birthday and damage level.  When the player's inventory is accessed (basically via the game::inv() function), the game can iterate over all the items and automatically seperate out any that are spoiled or have been damaged.  Thoughts?
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4711 on: August 07, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »

Not sure if you guys missed my edit, was editing when I was the last post in the thread, but before I was done DalGren replied - and the edit ended up on the other page :)

As far as the std::vector<item> to std::vector<std::vector <item>> change, I don't have C++ experience but that sounds like its changing it to just lump items together on the presentation side while keeping them separate on the actual inventory side, which sounds like a great idea. Just the clutter reduction alone would be fantastic. Would that let you remove the item limit too? I'm always hitting that limit while carrying a bunch of small things.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: August 07, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »

Thing is, wouldn't that just affect inventory?
So when you drop your stack of 100 spears it would explode into 3 piles?
*Hugs*

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: August 07, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »

OH GOD DAMN IT! I was testing item tiles and I forgot to remove teleporters from the starting items. AWW :D. Time to update soon.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: August 07, 2011, 04:57:26 pm »

Thing is, wouldn't that just affect inventory?
So when you drop your stack of 100 spears it would explode into 3 piles?

Well, the same change could be made for the map, of course.  Though I'm not sure if that's agreeable, I kind of like the way that items "spill" into adjacent tiles once one is filled up!
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: August 07, 2011, 04:59:31 pm »

Changing that char to an int shouldn't cause any problems at all.

Oh I see. Well, I didn't know if you are packing bits in there. If that was the case changing char to int might cause problems.
...my knowledge of C++ is close to null...are vectors equivalent to anything in C? xD
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: August 07, 2011, 04:59:36 pm »

What I would do is even simpler, and fixes another problem at the same time.

Let people create "clusters". Maybe +? (shift equal, to associate it with the define key)

Cluster screen allows you to add several items to a cluster.

When you select an item, if you select a cluster, it simply brings you to the item list for that cluster (works just like the normal inventory screen).

Clusters are treated otherwise just like a normal item - they can be dropped, picked up, etc. Except each one has its own, internal item limit. It's like a stack, except player-defined.
Actually, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but it sounds great in my head. I may just implement it on my own later, even if another type of stacking is introduced.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: August 07, 2011, 05:06:14 pm »

Another thing I just did in game.h and game.cpp is to add a debugmode toggle and make all the debug options require debugmode to be on to work. I just used + as the toggle.

Simple change, very useful effect. No more accidentally teleporting, spawning npcs, revealing the map, or going into wish mode. Huzzah.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:44 pm »

Paul, I already did one of those with my last tweak, and I think Deon rolled it into his version now. It IS nice, but apparently Whales is going to have all the debug stuff moved into its own menu in the next update, which is even better.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: August 07, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »

Paul, I already did one of those with my last tweak, and I think Deon rolled it into his version now. It IS nice, but apparently Whales is going to have all the debug stuff moved into its own menu in the next update, which is even better.

Ah, cool. I'm still using the base 1.9.4 version, so I didn't realize Deon already had it in his version.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4720 on: August 07, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »

Suggestion-Molotov cocktails should not go out nearly so easily. and when they do, they should not simply disapear! You should be able to re-light them, or at least stuff a new rag in to make a new cocktail. or salvage the bottle, or something!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:46:57 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: August 07, 2011, 05:40:09 pm »

Let people create "clusters". Maybe +? (shift equal, to associate it with the define key)

When you select an item, if you select a cluster, it simply brings you to the item list for that cluster (works just like the normal inventory screen).

Clusters are treated otherwise just like a normal item - they can be dropped, picked up, etc. Except each one has its own, internal item limit. It's like a stack, except player-defined.
Actually, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but it sounds great in my head. I may just implement it on my own later, even if another type of stacking is introduced.
"Yo dawg, I heard you like items, so we put an inventory in your inventory, so you can hold while you hold"?

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4722 on: August 07, 2011, 05:59:41 pm »

Item suggestion: Binoculars. If used, allow you to see outside the range at which you could normally see, as long as the area your looking at is not dark and is in your line of sight. also increases overmap sight by a decent amount, just from being carried.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4723 on: August 07, 2011, 06:13:45 pm »

"Yo dawg, I heard you like items, so we put an inventory in your inventory, so you can hold while you hold"?

That was attempted in Ultima VI+ I believe. It was a clusterfuck.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: August 07, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »

Deon's Littel Mod V15-tileset

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?09i4dfu2kmabokf

- Churches added.
- Different genders start with different clothing (randomized).
- Fixed a few more tiles.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 313 314 [315] 316 317 ... 777