Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1234976 times)

Ordokai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #4725 on: August 07, 2011, 06:44:33 pm »

What I would do is even simpler, and fixes another problem at the same time.

Let people create "clusters". Maybe +? (shift equal, to associate it with the define key)

Cluster screen allows you to add several items to a cluster.

When you select an item, if you select a cluster, it simply brings you to the item list for that cluster (works just like the normal inventory screen).

Clusters are treated otherwise just like a normal item - they can be dropped, picked up, etc. Except each one has its own, internal item limit. It's like a stack, except player-defined.
Actually, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but it sounds great in my head. I may just implement it on my own later, even if another type of stacking is introduced.
"Yo dawg, I heard you like items, so we put an inventory in your inventory, so you can hold while you hold"?

That was attempted in Ultima VI+ I believe. It was a clusterfuck.

oh snap !

*snip* [will stacking] remove the item limit too? I'm always hitting that limit while carrying a bunch of small things.

I believe this has to do with the limited number of available upper and lower case letters, as thats how items get assigned keys at the moment so no, not remove, but certainly help.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:51:35 pm by Ordokai »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: August 07, 2011, 07:06:41 pm »

- Different genders start with different clothing (randomized).

I like this change.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4727 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »

I believe this has to do with the limited number of available upper and lower case letters, as thats how items get assigned keys at the moment so no, not remove, but certainly help.

Yea, I get that - I was mostly asking if the inventory thing would help the item limit seeing as items would only be stacked for displayed inventory and would be kept separate behind the scenes. Might still require the stacked items to count toward the limit to prevent half your food items suddenly going spoiled and bringing you over the limit due to dividing the stacks or something.

Heh, purifiers boosting stats should probably be removed. After raiding several science labs for their bleach, ammonia, mutagens, and purifiers (using cooking to turn mutagens into purifiers) I've raised this character's stats to 31 20 25 23. Or maybe instead of removal, a high end cooking recipe to make some kind of special stat boosting potion? Could be like mutagen x2  + purifier x2 + royal jelly x2 or something.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:31:16 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: August 07, 2011, 08:20:22 pm »

Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: August 07, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »

I don't really have a lot of experience here with coding, so if what I'm explaining is impossible, sorry!

In regards to food going rotten, wouldn't it be possible to assign a birth date to a stack of, say, oranges? Once the amount of time passes to make an orange rotten, would it be possible to simply create a rotten orange in your inventory?  I do suppose you'd need a new birth date for the next orange in the stack though..

BoxMacLeod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: August 07, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »

Also, is there any particular reason that when you scroll to the next page in your inventory, the assigned keys can't just reset?

basically if you have items A, B, C, D, E, and F, and then you scroll to the next page, instead of being G, H, I, etc., can't they just be A, B, C, D?

Might help address the item limit.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4731 on: August 07, 2011, 09:01:54 pm »

When the player's inventory is accessed (basically via the game::inv() function), the game can iterate over all the items and automatically seperate out any that are spoiled or have been damaged.  Thoughts?
I would be against this, mostly because you can easily have a spoiled food item be sorted out from all the good ones, even if your player otherwise cannot tell whether it's spoiled or not. It makes it sort of too easy to tell if something is rotten or tainted if your character shouldn't really know within their ability. So even if super-taster DID work, it'd end up becoming useless again.
Also, is there any particular reason that when you scroll to the next page in your inventory, the assigned keys can't just reset?

basically if you have items A, B, C, D, E, and F, and then you scroll to the next page, instead of being G, H, I, etc., can't they just be A, B, C, D?

This has been in my head for too long, why didn't I suggest it yet? Of course, whether splintering the menu would be conventional or not could go by nice in a testing update, though I don't think it'll be too much problem.
Perhaps limiting the splinter to per category?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:06:14 pm by iceball3 »

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: August 07, 2011, 09:42:38 pm »

Minimap location thingydoesn show up

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4733 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:06 pm »

Downside of that would be that you have to scroll to the next page of the inventory before using an item instead of just hitting the letter for it from the first page.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

This is how ADOM does it and I can not stand it.  It's much less navigable to me, it removes the two-press system and forces 3, 4, or 5 presses to wield, drop or use an item, it removes the ability to remember that slot 'c' is your crowbar, etc.

I don't really have a lot of experience here with coding, so if what I'm explaining is impossible, sorry!

In regards to food going rotten, wouldn't it be possible to assign a birth date to a stack of, say, oranges? Once the amount of time passes to make an orange rotten, would it be possible to simply create a rotten orange in your inventory?  I do suppose you'd need a new birth date for the next orange in the stack though..

The issue is that not all oranges have the same birth date--some are considered to be harvested later than the ones you find in grocery stores.  So if you have a still-good orange from a grocery store, and a still-good orange from an NPC market, they should stack, because the player isn't aware that there's a difference.  But once the grocery store one goes bad, they should unstack.  Obvious, we wouldn't have to check if this is the case on every single turn--only when the inventory is accessed, for efficiency.

Yea, I get that - I was mostly asking if the inventory thing would help the item limit seeing as items would only be stacked for displayed inventory and would be kept separate behind the scenes. Might still require the stacked items to count toward the limit to prevent half your food items suddenly going spoiled and bringing you over the limit due to dividing the stacks or something.

Heh, purifiers boosting stats should probably be removed. After raiding several science labs for their bleach, ammonia, mutagens, and purifiers (using cooking to turn mutagens into purifiers) I've raised this character's stats to 31 20 25 23. Or maybe instead of removal, a high end cooking recipe to make some kind of special stat boosting potion? Could be like mutagen x2  + purifier x2 + royal jelly x2 or something.

Yeeeeah okay I will be removing that ability from purifiers.  The craftable stat booster is a good idea, thanks!

The inventory item limit is purely a UI problem of not having enough letters to assign to items.  Stacking helps this problem, as having 12 identical bottles of water would take up only a single letter.

I actually like having a 52-item limit; it encourages using stashes and discourages insane hoarding.  It also gives items like lighters, which have 0 weight and 0 volume, a cost to carry.  I do think that without stacking, the 52-item limit is too severe.

Different genders start with different clothing (randomized).

I like this change as well--in theory.  In practice, the women's clothing in the game is generally pretty much scissor fodder--dresses suck, skirts make you run a tiny bit faster but I'd rather have the storage of jeans.  I don't want to disadvantage one gender in relation to the other (differences exist in how NPCs react to you, but they're minor and neither gender has a clear advantage over the other here).

Item suggestion: Binoculars. If used, allow you to see outside the range at which you could normally see, as long as the area your looking at is not dark and is in your line of sight. also increases overmap sight by a decent amount, just from being carried.

Great idea, especially the overmap sight part (which needs to be increased anyway to maybe twice what it is; binoculars could further increase it to 10 unobstructed tiles, perhaps?).

Suggestion-Molotov cocktails should not go out nearly so easily. and when they do, they should not simply disapear! You should be able to re-light them, or at least stuff a new rag in to make a new cocktail. or salvage the bottle, or something!

The disappearance is a technical issue that I've been too lazy to fix.  Right now it's basically just "roll a 20-sided die; on a 1, the molotov goes out disappears," so it can happen one turn after lighting it if you're unlucky.  I'll make it so that lighting a molotov sets the item's birthdate to the current turn, and that way no molotovs can go out for the first few turns at least, with an increasing chance the longer they're lit.  I'll also make it so that the molotov changes back to an unlit molotov, or maybe a bottle depending on how long it's been lit.

What I would do is even simpler, and fixes another problem at the same time.

Let people create "clusters". Maybe +? (shift equal, to associate it with the define key)

Cluster screen allows you to add several items to a cluster.

When you select an item, if you select a cluster, it simply brings you to the item list for that cluster (works just like the normal inventory screen).

Clusters are treated otherwise just like a normal item - they can be dropped, picked up, etc. Except each one has its own, internal item limit. It's like a stack, except player-defined.
Actually, I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right, but it sounds great in my head. I may just implement it on my own later, even if another type of stacking is introduced.

Interesting thought!  Seems like a lot of UI overhead, though... it also doesn't solve the inventory letter problem, which is half the reason for stacking in the first place.  Let me know if you do implement it, I'd be interested to give it a try and see how it plays.

Changing that char to an int shouldn't cause any problems at all.

Oh I see. Well, I didn't know if you are packing bits in there. If that was the case changing char to int might cause problems.
...my knowledge of C++ is close to null...are vectors equivalent to anything in C? xD

Nah, no bit-packery, aside from trying to reduce the overall size of the class by a word.
Vectors are dynamic arrays, basically.

Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: August 08, 2011, 12:38:30 am »

Oh... you know the inventory system in Incursion?  Instead of letters, they go by number.  00-99.

...It's kinda bad, but it led to an idea.  What if you could make the inventory default to a sorta "hotkey" page, which you assigned items to, that was limited to the a-Z thing?  Then, if you pressed something, you went to full-view inventory, which works ADOM-style, and where you assigned hotkey stuff?  Maybe usable stuff like tools, food, and weapons could by default get assigned to an empty hotkey slot thingy if there is one, while less used stuff like clothes and rags wouldn't.

Probably a ton of problems with, like, filling up bottles and stuff (maybe it checks for containers and only displays those?), but it'd get you around the letter limit.  ...Maybe cycle through all items and categories with < and >...

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: August 08, 2011, 02:14:47 am »

- Different genders start with different clothing (randomized).

I like this change.

SEXIST!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: August 08, 2011, 02:16:21 am »

Depends on what clothing.
I personally wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt, and in fact modded in new clothing specifically so I wouldn't have to wear one.
*Hugs*

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: August 08, 2011, 02:21:08 am »

Heh, the skirt didn't make enough difference for me to keep wearing instead of cargo pants, but while I was trying it out I just waved my hands and called it a "tactical kilt"  and bemoaned the lack of bagpipes and haggis :D

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: August 08, 2011, 04:19:27 am »

Heh, the skirt didn't make enough difference for me to keep wearing instead of cargo pants, but while I was trying it out I just waved my hands and called it a "tactical kilt"  and bemoaned the lack of bagpipes and haggis :D

With a gun slinger I always hit the item limit before storage limit so the extra speed (2 encumbrance over cargo pants) was much more useful than the space.
If I play a melee build however the space is useful as if you have multiple utility vests it allows ditching of the backpack and lowering torso encumbrance in return.

For those of you with C++ experience, one idea I had was to change the player's inventory from std::vector<item> to std::vector<std::vector <item>>.  This way, several apples can be combined into a stack--and the UI can just use inv[n].size() to display the number of items in the stack--and each apple will maintain its own birthday and damage level.  When the player's inventory is accessed (basically via the game::inv() function), the game can iterate over all the items and automatically seperate out any that are spoiled or have been damaged.  Thoughts?

It depends what your goal is. If you need to allow things to stay separate internally it makes sense, although I'd probably have a really cheap wrapper around it so you can have useful functions on the inner group (like sum) to make your life easier. You'd have to add an extra menu during drop so you can choose which ones you want to drop, I'd recommend the same way you do pickup with the multi-select but that should be simple enough.

As an aside lines 622 and 624 of newcharacter.cpp don't use the MAX_TRAITS you define but rather a hard coded number, not sure if that was intentional because of the usage of the word 'three' but seemed like a mistake what I was browsing the code, do you accept github pull requests?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 777